Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 09:21 AM

75 posts, read 420,301 times

Advertisements

Are there any high demand areas that can't hire fast enough?

I'm a teacher (certified '05) and cannot find a job in state. For personal reasons (family) I can't move away. Since I'm going into debt every day anyway, I might as well put it towards education.

So, what should I go back to school for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 09:38 AM

59 posts, read 236,197 times
Default Healthcare

If you are in a position to go back to school, I think the best bet for Michigan residents is something in healthcare. I would research the various types of healthcare jobs and what type of education is involved, check out your local colleges to see if they offer the programs you're interested in, and also check listings on Monster.com and others to see if there are actual jobs listed in Michigan in the areas you are interested in pursuing. Since the baby boom generation is aging, healthcare jobs should be in demand for quite some time even in Michigan. A good general source of info for jobs, and job market is:

Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2006-07 Edition

Old 06-29-2007, 10:00 AM

Healthcare does not work for me, I couldn't even disect the pig in H.S. biology. It seems the other healthcare fields don't make much more than teaching, so it wouldn't be beneficial to go another 50K in debt to obtain the license. But thank you for the idea.

Any other ideas?

Old 06-29-2007, 11:21 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
What about medical billing? There are things to do with the healthcare industry that do not require dealing with the blood and guts.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
What about medical billing? There are things to do with the healthcare industry that do not require dealing with the blood and guts.
Medical billing isn't really a high demand field. My cousin did medical billing and was laid off.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:58 AM

59 posts, read 236,197 times
One person's experience is not a good indicator of an entire market sector:

"Job prospects should be very good. Employment of medical records and health information technicians is expected to grow much faster than average for all occupations through 2014 because of rapid growth in the number of medical tests, treatments, and procedures that will be increasingly scrutinized by health insurance companies, regulators, courts, and consumers. Also, technicians will be needed to enter patient information into computer databases to comply with Federal legislation mandating the use of electronic patient records."

-From the OOH referenced above

Perhaps you should spend some time researching what types of jobs you are willing to consider and what salary range is acceptable. Then try to determine whether that's a realistic path to take within Michigan.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:20 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
If you're in a desperate situation lavendersunrise, you need to open your mind a little bit and not shoot down every idea thrown your way. There are many positions in health-care where you never see patients, ever. What about sales? People I know in the recruitment industry say that companies are having a hard time keeping good salespeople. They provide full training as well, in addition to expense accounts, sometimes cars, salary+commission. If you are personable and like to solve problems, that might be a career to try.

If you get in the right industry in sales and enjoy it, you can make triple a teacher's salary ($100K+ a year), and usually have a very flexible schedule. I know from experience.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:21 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
As others mentioned, health care is pretty much it. But, not all aspects of health care are hiring. My cousin is a flabotomist and can't find a job since getting laid off from his former job. I know people of all types of professions who are loosing their jobs in Michigan. Sales, design, ect...
I am also an unemployed teacher, but I plan on moving as soon as I get a job lined up for the fall. I only applied to areas where I was no more than 30-45 minutes away from an airport that can get me home for around $300. I am hoping this will only be a temporary move, and that I will be able to come back to my family in a couple years.
Currently, I work customer service full time for a grocery store. I make $10.85 an hour, after being there 8 years (pathetic). But, I realize that I am not that bad off compared to others. Yesterday, my boss interviewed a man with an MBA for a cashiering position. That pays minimum wage. This is a very pathetic place to be where you are trying to get a minimum wage job when you have a MASTER'S DEGREE. (we recommended that he commute a ways and get a job as a full-time department manager at a former Farmer Jack store, as Kroger is currently hiring for those positions)

Old 06-29-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
As others mentioned, health care is pretty much it. But, not all aspects of health care are hiring. My cousin is a flabotomist and can't find a job since getting laid off from his former job. I know people of all types of professions who are loosing their jobs in Michigan. Sales, design, ect...
I am also an unemployed teacher, but I plan on moving as soon as I get a job lined up for the fall. I only applied to areas where I was no more than 30-45 minutes away from an airport that can get me home for around $300. I am hoping this will only be a temporary move, and that I will be able to come back to my family in a couple years.
Currently, I work customer service full time for a grocery store. I make $10.85 an hour, after being there 8 years (pathetic). But, I realize that I am not that bad off compared to others. Yesterday, my boss interviewed a man with an MBA for a cashiering position. That pays minimum wage. This is a very pathetic place to be where you are trying to get a minimum wage job when you have a MASTER'S DEGREE. (we recommended that he commute a ways and get a job as a full-time department manager at a former Farmer Jack store, as Kroger is currently hiring for those positions)

which states did you decide on? I was offered a job in FL, accepted it, was applying for the apartment and realized I couldn't even AFFORD the apartment on the FL teacher salary. Not to mention the cost to move there/fly home/etc.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:07 PM

210 posts, read 821,543 times
Get a master's in accounting or (especially) tax. Tax accountants are in VERY high demand, and in a few years you could be making six figures. Go to Tax Jobs, Careers : Property, Analyst, Accounting, Preparation to get an idea of what types of jobs are avaible and the salary level (overall, very high). If tax doesn't appeal to you, accountants in general are in great demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan