Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:54 PM

548 posts, read 2,015,565 times

Advertisements

my family (me, wife, baby, 4-year old) are traveling up from Grand Haven to Sleeping Bear and then Traverse City for a day.

Any suggestions on anything "must-see" on the drive up and around this area?

Any Traverse City restaurant suggestions for a family of 4?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 08:53 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,179,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
my family (me, wife, baby, 4-year old) are traveling up from Grand Haven to Sleeping Bear and then Traverse City for a day.

Any suggestions on anything "must-see" on the drive up and around this area?

Any Traverse City restaurant suggestions for a family of 4?
If you're doing Sleeping Bear (and the Pierce Stocking Drive, I'd assume) then you should spend part of your day finishing up the Northern drive by "rounding the horn" and taking M 22 up to Leland, then Northport, up to the Grand Traverse Lighthouse for a tour, then down M22 on the East side thru Omena, Suttons Bay and to Traverse City. All these towns are wonderful stops, but Leland is a prime one...Historic Fishtown, great restaurants, wineries both North and South of town on 22, cool shops and galleries...on and on. Northport is very nice, Suttons Bay also, but stop in Omena and visit the Leelanau Cellars tasting room if you want to taste some local wine.
Then...on to Traverse City, where I predict you'll say "why did we leave Leelanau?"
Along the way I'd recommend the restored Lifesaving station in Glen Haven, Cherry Republic in Glen Arbor, Leland's Historic Fishtown (and great Leland beaches), the Grand Traverse Lighthouse, wineries and farm produce stands along the way, and don't be afraid to head inland and wander the County. Think M-22, get a map, explore and follow the yellow brick road.
Enjoy your visit!
www.lelandmi.com www.leelanauchamber.com
Van's Beach in Leland

Historic Fishtown

Old 08-22-2010, 09:04 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,796,574 times
I just got back from that area, and took the drive the last poster described. The Leelanau drive is beautiful, and the lighthouse is well worth the drive. Just dont plan on staying out there unless your pockets are deep, lots of $$$$ in that area. While you are there you can pick up some local wine, or stop in the little towns and look around. Traverse city is where the more affordable accomidations are, and much more to do as far as food and entertainment as well. Something fun to do in the sleeping bear area is tubing or canoeing on the platte river. You finish the trip down the river right on Lake Michigan and the beach there is great, plus the river warms the water in the big lake a bit there as well so swimming is better.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:07 PM

23 posts, read 47,767 times
Top post brags of the food and drives. I disagree I think it is pretty but the UP more so. It is expensive there I also don't think small children will like wine tasting duh! Go to fish town look for websites for state -park boat trip. You will have to watch the weather if it's bad the boat will be cancelled. One boat goes to the island where they only hike and camp. The other island you can pay a small amount extra for a dune scooter to come and get you for a guided tour. The kids would love this and its not a lot of hiking for them.The boat ride will be good entertainment for them too. Bring a picnic lunch there is no place to buy food. This is an all day trip! There was a community there not to many years ago there is a school, light house, museum, and wild life very interesting! Do not stay in the motel by the Dam Water's Edge in fish town it is very pricey and run down! Not alot of good places to eat. I don't care what the top poster says pricey and not good. We stayed a whole week end traved up and down the area, and we ate someplace different each time. We both agreed the food was a rip off up there!The best place was right across the road from fish town ( the road across the main street) from the lake shore fish town. I can't remember the name Blue bird maybe? Anyway that one was the best place we ate at for the price, and food kids would eat. Northport was not much but its a pretty drive. The bakery there was good, but other eateries no! a piece of french toast (one piece) same price as the stuffed toast they had run out of and was told I can make just plain french toast so we said ok. $7 rip off! get doughnuts at the bakery instead we got doughnuts after our rip off breakfast.

Last edited by wannabeyooper; 08-22-2010 at 09:30 PM..

Old 08-23-2010, 08:38 AM

Children may not like wine tasting (duh) though adults often do, even when they have children.
I didn't mention the Manitou Transit trip to the islands because the OP says they're doing a short trip, and the island trip is a whole day. They do an evening cruise that's just a couple hours so that might be a better choice, but that can be dealt with if they visit Fishtown. Certainly the whole family would enjoy getting out on the lake on the ferry and cruising the coastline. Beautiful.
I agree the Falling Waters Lodge sucks. The best location anywhere, and the owner doesn't keep it clean or up to date....what a shame.
Better to stay at Whaleback Inn just south of Leland. Clean, up to date, very nice rooms and great owners also.
Food a "rip off"? Sorry there aren't any Mickey D's for you in the entire county, which is something most visitors love and local people take pride in. There are lots of owner-operated restaurants in all price ranges all over Leelanau County and I think they try hard to provide quality at a fair price. Try the Cheese Shanty sandwiches in Fishtown. Great sandwiches you can eat at a picnic table right on the docks, and very fair (not a "rip off") prices. Some smoked fish and fish sausage from Carlson's Fisheries is also a great lunch. Dee-licious.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:58 PM

23 posts, read 47,767 times
The point was trying to make about taking kids in a wine tasting store, is that there are many breakable things and nothing for a child to do. That is except to run around cry and drive the parents and other customers nuts. Children need things to see and do that interest them. I am not saying I would not bring them in, but I know I would not stay in there more then 10 minutes before the child would get restless. Then no one is having fun. When draging small children around on a trip they get tired and cranky if they don't have activites that are fun for them. Like beaches, playground, picnics, animals, rides. Sorry if I offended you. I don't eat at Micky D's either. I have been to really nice places at much better prices and better food. Maybe the owners should see what other nice vacation areas offer? Maybe this offends you sorry. I wondered if you are a restaurant owner? When owners think they are the king chef and say if you don't like it or I don't care what customers think eat some where else, They usually fail and wonder why. It is a matter of my opinion and you also have points to your opinion. I for one would want to know what past customers thoutht about my foods,prices, and whether I was happy. The ones that don't care sometimes go out of bussiness. I am not saying I did not like the area I did, but I have found other areas and their foods were much better for less money, and the areas were nicer. Sorry but I have right to answer what I honestly thought.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:41 AM

You don't offend me, wannabe...you have a right to your opinon and are welcome to it. And I don't own a restaurant, though I know a number of people who do. Most have been in business a long time and continue to succeed in a tough environment. You don't do that by being a "rip off".

Restaurants or retail stores that don't meet the needs and expectations of customers don't last very long, especially in an area where the busy season is so short. This is free enterprise and how it should be.

If a significant percentage of visitors and customers agreed with your pretty strong opinions, Northwest lower MI probably wouldn't be the economic bright spot it is in an otherwise fairly dim State of Michigan. It's among the strongest tourism areas in the state, and for some very good reasons.
The UP, beautiful as it is, is struggling. Though Big Mac crossings are up over 2% (over some serious declines in the past few years), tourism folks I know up there say business is mixed, despite the strong tourism year statewide. All Straits public harbors, even Mac Island, have lots of open slips for boats and have had all summer. I hope that changes in the coming years.
Be careful what you wannabe...you just might get it.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:55 AM

28 posts, read 63,572 times
Yep, when you go to TC enjoy the downtown area then drive up to Leland and fishtown and eat at the cove, it's a cool atmosphere for anyone families included and even the drive is scenic.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:58 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,009,351 times
Oh how I want to go backpacking for a week on North Manitou again.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:59 PM

548 posts, read 2,015,565 times
is there a beach in particular that you would recommend for swimming and/or walking and running around for the kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan