Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 03:16 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times

Advertisements

What a joke. Saw this article posted in the little more interesting UrbanPlanet forum. OK, maybe not the whole city of Birmingham, but one professor/writer does:

al.com: Everything Alabama

Here's some keeper quotes:

So let's build a consortium of Sunbelt states, ante up some money and design an Alaska-like water pipeline system. We then secure federal financing for its implementation, extract that precious Midwest resource, and pump it to regions desperately in need. Sounds wonderful, but wait a minute. There are a few political snags....

...Midwesterners hate Sunbelt states and those who dwell within them. Like middle-class Mexicans who politely despise their cousins for migrating north for better jobs, those remaining in the Midwest quietly frown upon their expatriates who moved south: they just couldn't "cut it" back home. They also hate the rest of us.

Hate? I think that's a bit strong.

Don't forget to send your kindly worded sentiments to:

jslack@uab.edu.

I've got an idea. Instead of building a multi-billion dollar pipeline, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy everyone who lives in Alabama a taxi-ride up to Michigan, where water is aplenty?

This reminds me of people who continue to build homes along the Southeastern coastlines, and then when their home has been destroyed yet again by a hurricane storm surge, they want the rest of us (through the Federal Government's FEMA program) to bail them out.

Last edited by jeffncandace; 06-25-2007 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: insults...even if I agree, gotta stick to the rules. Sorry Magellan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 05:56 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
There is not plenty of potable water in Michigan. The groundwater level drops a little more each year. The water from the Great Lakes is being treated with a high quantity of chlorine. The DEQ has new rules on the amount of groundwater that can be with withdrawn without a special permit. We do need to protect the lakes.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:41 PM

138 posts, read 979,320 times
I found the statistics in the 4th paragraph to be a bit unbelievable.

It says that if we built a 9 foot wall around the continental United States and emptied all the Great Lakes, the water would cover the entire United States and reach the 9 foot brim.

Is there really that much water in the Great Lakes ? How deep are the lakes anyway ?

Old 06-24-2007, 07:38 PM

Lake Superior is down a record low. The big ships are hauling half of what they were built for. Saginaw Bay is out on the average about 1/2 mile. I do not believe the 4th paragraph either.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:52 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,926 times
I agree with needing to protect the great lakes. Those people moved to the south and west on some kind of glory mission and now water issues are cropping up due to the mass migration to these places. Once again man is trying hard to destroy beautiful nature!

Old 06-24-2007, 09:04 PM

114 posts, read 602,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Those people moved to the south and west on some kind of glory mission and now water issues are cropping up due to the mass migration to these places.
Not necessarily true in every instance. Yeah, in places like SoCal and Colorado, people keep moving there in droves expecting to be able to use all the water they want. As far as the South goes, however, in most of the region we are experiencing record drought for the second year in a row. Even in less populated regions, wells are running dry, rivers and lakes are becoming almost unusable. We don't want water from Michigan or anyplace else, we would just like our weather pattern to get back to some sense of normalcy (50+ inches of rain per year instead of 20).

Old 06-25-2007, 06:52 AM

Let us face some hard facts, as a society we waste water. All of us. We pollute what we have. There is a mistaken idea that water is free, it is not. We can not live without it, but we dump sewage and chemicals in our rivers and lakes daily. Sadly, we will not stop.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:25 AM

edit: oops, double post. Please delete.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:26 AM

I'm glad so far everyone agrees this is a horrible idea. If we start diverting water from the Great Lakes, it will not "replenish every 99 years" as the writer claims. It will drastically decrease the amount of water that is drawn up into the atmosphere and then deposited back into the Great Lakes basin to replenish the lakes. It will start a slide that will be unstoppable, and we will end up with Great Lakes that resemble the Aral Sea in Russia:

http://landsat.gsfc.nasa.gov/images/...2_77-89-06.jpg

aral sea - Google Image Search

I don't think anyone in the U.S. would like a planet where something as cataclysmic as this were to happen (although I'm beginning to wonder if anyone would care). Look at New Orleans.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:41 AM

12 posts, read 39,972 times
magellan,
Those are some cool pics. I had a friend that grew up in Tucson, when the great Cali migration started. Of course they all had to have pools, lawns, ect. They did every thing they could, but finally had to start raising water prices....didn't matter. In no time they had to have the water bill so high it was unreal. That was a loooong time ago..no telling what they are doing now. Water is and always has been a tough issue.

Water pipeline.... Can you imagine what the right of way costs would be alone lol. It would be cheaper to build a desalination plant right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan