Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 04:19 PM

418 posts, read 1,785,486 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the finance industry, working for a large shipping company. We just got transferred here to MI, due to his promotion. I stay at home with our 2 kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 09:38 PM

79 posts, read 418,451 times
I am a realtor and my husband is a builder. There is always opportunity...in fact this country produced the more millionaires during the Great Depression than at any other time. Thus we are having the best year of our careers because no matter what people are always going to have to have a roof over their heads.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:01 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adieoz View Post
I am a realtor and my husband is a builder. There is always opportunity...in fact this country produced the more millionaires during the Great Depression than at any other time. Thus we are having the best year of our careers because no matter what people are always going to have to have a roof over their heads.
And water in their house!

Old 06-28-2007, 10:21 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,494,050 times
We are not in Michigan, but DH has been offered a job in the Detroit office several times. They are begging for accountants at the Detroit office.

I am a teacher and can teach ESL and see many jobs for that all over, even in hard areas to work. I just saw 4 ESL positions open in Detroit when I looked at their website a couple of days ago.

Dawn

Old 06-29-2007, 06:17 AM

14 posts, read 51,185 times
I live in the Ann Arbor-Brighton area, we have some very expensive homes in this area, and don't see too many for sale. It's the homes on the lakes and the mid-income range homes that seem to be up for sale.

ANYWAYS, my husband lost his job (Plant Manager for a Tier 1 supplier for the auto industry and not a small company) over a year ago when the company downsized. He hasn't been able to find a job anyway, in Michigan or out. (I think it's his age, mid 50's)

I had a retail gift shop in the Farmington Hills area for over 12 years, we did great until about a year ago. We just closed the store this month and are going strictly internet.

Michigan residents that are out of work are going to have a tough time finding jobs that pay what the made before.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:30 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,454,059 times
So far, accountants, web producers, and physicians seem to be in high demand in metro Detroit - not really possible 2nd careers for middle-aged people, but probably explains some of the people moving in from out of state (like my wife and physician friend). How's it out west near GR? Anyone? Bueller?

Old 06-29-2007, 12:12 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,201,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
So far, accountants, web producers, and physicians seem to be in high demand in metro Detroit - not really possible 2nd careers for middle-aged people, but probably explains some of the people moving in from out of state (like my wife and physician friend). How's it out west near GR? Anyone? Bueller?
I think Magellen can field that one. I know that generally, from my family who lives in the Metro area, that GR and in general western MI are doing leaps and bounds better than the Detroit area. That's not to say it's doing fabulous, but it's doing better in comparison.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:47 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,860,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I think Magellen can field that one. I know that generally, from my family who lives in the Metro area, that GR and in general western MI are doing leaps and bounds better than the Detroit area. That's not to say it's doing fabulous, but it's doing better in comparison.
Exactly. If you look at the Bureau of Labor Statistics charts you can clearly see the difference in West Michigan:

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data (Grand Rapids-Wyoming)
Bureau of Labor Statistics Data (Holland-Grand Haven)
Bureau of Labor Statistics Data (Muskegon)

Bottom out in 03, upswing trend since then.

Now compared to Michigan and Detroit Metro:

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

For the Grand Rapids area, residential construction is down, professional and business service is up, financial services is up, information technology is level, healthcare is way up, manufacturing is leveling off (from bottoming out), leisure and hospitality is up, trade-transportation-utilities is down.

Here is the chart for health services for metro GR:

I was just reading in the Press that there is actually a consortium of the local health sciences industry that has been set up to transition people from manufacturing and other skills to health sciences. There is a drastic shortage and there is still a stigma with Michigan and trying to get people to move here. They will retrain people of virtually any age. Even if you don't want to work directly in healthcare, there will be a lot of spinoff services that these 4000 or so new researchers, MSU staff/med students and healthcare workers will need.

I'll have to see if I can track down the article.

Ah, here it is:

WOODTV.com & WOOD TV8 - Grand Rapids news, weather, sports and video - Workers move from manufacturing to medicine

In fact, on another GR forum people post construction photos of all the healthcare projects going on downtown. Here are just a few of them:

Sorry for such a long response to such a short question Jeff.

Last edited by magellan; 06-29-2007 at 01:23 PM..

Old 06-29-2007, 01:41 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,454,059 times
Great pics, Mag. Here's hoping that the move of MSU's DO program to Detroit will result in bigger and better things for the Southeast also. Land to build will probably be even cheaper in Detroit than GR!

Old 06-29-2007, 04:38 PM

800 posts, read 4,299,005 times
I'm a life coach...

My husband is an engineer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan