Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2010, 01:47 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,109,555 times

Advertisements

I have just read that the oil spill may tarnish beaches as far north as North Carolina, as it is still gushing that gooey black stuff into the Gulf of Mexico and being spread by ocean currents. Does anyone think this will give way to an increase of tourism on Great Lakes beaches? If so, does anyone else see that we have the ability to benefit greatly from this very sad disaster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 06:05 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,318,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I have just read that the oil spill may tarnish beaches as far north as North Carolina, as it is still gushing that gooey black stuff into the Gulf of Mexico and being spread by ocean currents. Does anyone think this will give way to an increase of tourism on Great Lakes beaches? If so, does anyone else see that we have the ability to benefit greatly from this very sad disaster?
I would like to think so, but there are two factors that may keep it from happening on a large scale.

First of all, when a lot of people consider a beach vacation, the Great Lakes isn't on their radar. I think that a lot of people who have never experienced the wonder of the Great Lakes tend to think that they're "just" lakes, and that the only real beach vacation must occur at the ocean, where there are more varied types of seashells, salt water, dolphins, etc. For some people, going to a fresh water lake with fresh water fish and clam shells for the most part just wouldn't be a real beach vacation. That's not how I feel, but I think that a lot of people do, or Michigan's lakes would already be just about as busy as the ocean beaches of the Southeast.

The second factor is that Michigan's beach vacation season is just too short. A lot of people take beach vacations in the colder months and on spring break, and the beach tourism season in Michigan only lasts, for the most part, from around May to September. Don't most of the beach towns virtually shut down for much of the year here?

I like your thought process, and yes, maybe between that tragic oil spill and the Pure Michigan ads tourism here will increase, who knows? I hope so.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:20 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,644,528 times
My brother has traveled quite a bit and always says the majority of people he has spoken with about Michigan have no idea how big the lakes really are. That would be an issue for sure in whether or not someone is thinking of a beach vacation here. I live only minutes from Lake Michigan and am lucky to have two other smaller lakes near by as well. I see the difference between the warm days and then the cooler rainy days. On the warm days people are out in sail boats enjoying the water and the towns are full of people. On the colder days no one is out. I used to work in a greenhouse and had people from Florida coming up very upset that it was so cold they had to turn the furnace on. I think if we had a solid three months of dependable warm weather it would help us so much with tourism. If people come up hoping to have summer sports on the beach and find instead that it's days of rain with only 50 or 60 degrees it just isn't going to work for having anything like what they've had on the gulf coast over the years. My two cents anyway...

Old 06-21-2010, 04:34 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,907,043 times
Nope...water is too cold....season too short.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:20 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,098,142 times
One of the guys that I work with (he's originally from California), was amazed that folks in MI actually have houses on a lake. People LIVE there? Right on the lake?

Old 06-21-2010, 05:22 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,349,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Nope...water is too cold....season too short.
This.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:45 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,696,987 times
Whatever the seasons and water temps...i love it.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:53 PM

9,473 posts, read 10,820,107 times
I was down south once when I had a woman ask me if there were icebergs on the great lakes all year long. The stereotypes out there of the flat frozen upper midwest keep alot of potential tourist from visiting Mi, Mn and Wi. Most of the nation has no idea what is out here, they just think "flyover country" or 9 month winters. The pure Michigan ads may be helping, but they will only get so many people to look at this area for a vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan