Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2010, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,367 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move and purchase 40-120 acres and a house. I know northern Wisconsin well but have spent little time in the U.P. but because of prices and because it's more remote I'm mainly looking for property in the U.P. I have a 2 year old son so I would need to be somewhere where he could go to school although we would be home schooling as well (just want him to go to school for socialization) so not that concerned about the quality of the school. Also noticed that Northern Michigan prices are very low as well but would like to be within 4 hours of Northern Wisconsin because we have family there. I'm looking for opinions of what would be the best areas to look in the U.P. if not planning on working. Would appreciate any advice anyone could offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 09:45 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Lots of cheap property in the area of Newberry and Seney. Woods lakes and very remote. Sounds like what you are looking for eh.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:25 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Marquette County is still your best bet. Its living in the North, with a city and services as good as anywhere, yet only a few miles away from the deep woods..... I made that choice for a retirement place, based on my own research, some from visits,most from these threads and others. That was three years ago, no regrets.
I chose to cut back on acreage for the view, mine is dinamite!...50 mile one from my Mountaintop. I have 10 acres in Sands Township, just outside Marquette, yet taxes and land is cheaper than in-town.I chose to build my retirement cottage, still working on it as I am my own GC and do a lot myself, again no regrets. There are still some parcels, up to 120 acres each available, as well as a few completed homes here in N. Sands. You should check out the area. I have 2,000 acres behind me that is all private, and is for sale, although not cheap, has some great views of the Lake and or a couple of small lakes within these tracts. I can provide lots more info. for anyone interested, and , no , this is not an advertisement, just general information .

Old 06-14-2010, 12:33 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Lots of cheap property in the area of Newberry and Seney. Woods lakes and very remote. Sounds like what you are looking for eh.
True, but the interior of the U.P. is generally low land, much of it swampy. One needs to be careful they don't wind up buying swamp land, unless, thats your sort of thing.. I think the best choices for retirement folks is to locate along the shore of Lake Superior...or Lake Michigan. Cooler summers, warmer winters, more snow, and lots fewer bugs, are the rewards being within a mile or two of the shore. Elevation can also provide lots of great views of the water. The Western U.P. can provide this as we are in the Huron Mountains. Also being near Marquette helps on property resale,medical facilities, and the convenience of not having to drive hours to get supplies for building, remodeling, etc. Marquette County, the States largest, rocks !...we got lots of em. LOL

Old 06-14-2010, 08:32 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
True, but the interior of the U.P. is generally low land, much of it swampy. One needs to be careful they don't wind up buying swamp land, unless, thats your sort of thing.. I think the best choices for retirement folks is to locate along the shore of Lake Superior...or Lake Michigan. Cooler summers, warmer winters, more snow, and lots fewer bugs, are the rewards being within a mile or two of the shore. Elevation can also provide lots of great views of the water. The Western U.P. can provide this as we are in the Huron Mountains. Also being near Marquette helps on property resale,medical facilities, and the convenience of not having to drive hours to get supplies for building, remodeling, etc. Marquette County, the States largest, rocks !...we got lots of em. LOL

yea your right about the swamps, when I lived in the Soo I hated the drive acrost the seney stretch to get to the Marquette area. Not all the land around there is swamp though, but your right about being careful not to get taken. You are lucky to live in the Huron Mountain area. That is one of the prettiest places in the entire midwest. Id love to move back north again, Im in central lower Mi now because my wife wanted to be here. After 8 years of living down here even she realizes it was a terrible mistake. Unless you are a cornstalk or a soybean, the middle of the lower pennisula is no place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan