Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2007, 12:00 PM

929 posts, read 1,156,399 times

Advertisements

Downtown Miami a mess? Tell us your experience
In her speech to business leaders Wednesday, the CEO of Macy's Florida described a dilapidated downtown Miami marred by boarded-up buildings and rodents where her employees don't feel safe to walk around their Flagler Street headquarters. The historic Flagler area west of Biscayne Bay to the Government Center has so far largely missed out on the redevelopment along Brickell Avenue and Biscayne Boulevard.

Downtown Miami a mess? Tell us your experience - 06/08/2007 - MiamiHerald.com (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 02:03 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
Finally someone stands up and says it publicly. I am surprised Burdines/Macy's stayed so long. I have said it before, downtown is not a place to live yet. It is dirty, ugly, and not really safe IMO. Developers are selling downtown Miami and the Design District like other city downtowns (NYC, Seattle, San Fran) but you can't compare.

I can't wait to see this article, and hope that it spurs the City Commisioners to clean up Downtown Miami so that people want to go to. With great restaurants, shopping and entertainment, parks, etc..

Old 06-09-2007, 11:27 PM

5 posts, read 24,087 times
I work in Downtown miami, I have emailed the Comms specially Joe Sanchez, and they don't seem too care.

City is run pretty much like any South Am city a few have the power and money the rest of us must fight for scraps.

Downtown Miami will remain the same as long as Corp business keeps away. Brickell is doing better since it has alway had the expensive condo, mostly as investment, since few folk live in those condo, but it is cleaner.

I just returned from a trip to charlotte NC and was supriseD how clean that place is.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:58 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroede01 View Post
I work in Downtown miami, I have emailed the Comms specially Joe Sanchez, and they don't seem too care.

City is run pretty much like any South Am city a few have the power and money the rest of us must fight for scraps.

Downtown Miami will remain the same as long as Corp business keeps away. Brickell is doing better since it has alway had the expensive condo, mostly as investment, since few folk live in those condo, but it is cleaner.

I just returned from a trip to charlotte NC and was supriseD how clean that place is.

Truer words have not been written here!

Old 06-10-2007, 05:15 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,378 times
Do they have a lot of expensive "loft" condos and apts in downtown or is it mostly commercial stuff?

Old 06-10-2007, 07:08 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,132,455 times
And to think that the new arenas and sports complexes are suppoed to fix downtown?

Bayside is nice...but it is isolated and really a toursit place...not many locals go there.

The rest of the area is a barren wasteland except for the inner core, which as described, is a homeless magnet. After dark it is scary with all of the stores having their hurricane shutters up due to crime.

The stench of urine permeates the atmophere in the daytime heat...and the sidewalks are litrally strewn with trash.

It does have potential, but I think downtown Miami's problems and lack of a true downtown atmosphere are because the lack of true economic activity. It is true, the people there are South American tourists looking for cheap electronics (knock off usually) and office workers.

Hopefully they will build some apartments or condos that are affordable by Miami standards so some real people can actualy live there and make it a better place.

But then again, downtown Miami has never been a great place. It has been like this forever, so there is no real push to "bring it back to it's glory" so to speak.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:24 PM

929 posts, read 1,156,399 times
"The stench of urine permeates the atmophere in the daytime heat...and the sidewalks are litrally strewn with trash."

beautifully written. you should write a book. ive never heard urine used in a sentence so elegant.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:53 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,850 times
Even though most of West Palm Beach is filthy and disgusting the Downtown Area is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami