Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 01:18 PM

236 posts, read 388,458 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Fort Lauderdale near Las Olas but I’m thinking of moving to Miami to be closer to work. Would living in Coral Gables be comparable to living near Las Olas in Fort Lauderdale in terms of atmosphere and nightlife? I know Coconut Grove and Brickell are other options but I think both of these areas are near bad parts of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 03:51 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,669,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny118 View Post
I currently live in Fort Lauderdale near Las Olas but I’m thinking of moving to Miami to be closer to work. Would living in Coral Gables be comparable to living near Las Olas in Fort Lauderdale in terms of atmosphere and nightlife? I know Coconut Grove and Brickell are other options but I think both of these areas are near bad parts of town.
If you're used to Las Olas, any of the options you've just named would be fine for you. Coral Gables doesn't have much nightlife but does have a lot of dining and shopping options. Brickell has some nighlife and plenty of dining; not much shopping. Coconut Grove has it all.

Another thing- Brickell is not too close to bad neighborhoods. To the north is downtown Miami, to the south is Coconut Grove, to the southwest is the Roads, and to the west is Little Havana. Nothing to fear unless you go several blocks to the northwest.

Regarding Coconut Grove, there is a part of the West Grove that isn't too nice. The rest of the Grove is very nice, though, and crime isn't a big problem there as far as I know. Besides that one little area, Coconut Grove is nowhere near any bad areas; you'd literally have to drive several minutes to find them.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:41 AM

470 posts, read 1,193,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny118 View Post
They aren't near ANY bad area(s). They could be next to the most dangerous place in the world, BUT that certain area could be extremely nice and safe. The dangerous area is dangerous, not it's surrounding areas.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
If you're used to Las Olas, any of the options you've just named would be fine for you. Coral Gables doesn't have much nightlife but does have a lot of dining and shopping options. Brickell has some nighlife and plenty of dining; not much shopping. Coconut Grove has it all.

Another thing- Brickell is not too close to bad neighborhoods. To the north is downtown Miami, to the south is Coconut Grove, to the southwest is the Roads, and to the west is Little Havana. Nothing to fear unless you go several blocks to the northwest.

Regarding Coconut Grove, there is a part of the West Grove that isn't too nice. The rest of the Grove is very nice, though, and crime isn't a big problem there as far as I know. Besides that one little area, Coconut Grove is nowhere near any bad areas; you'd literally have to drive several minutes to find them.
Coral Gables doesn't have nightlife compared to Miami or Miami Beach, BUT it's still better than Las Olas, all of Ft. Lauderdale, and any place in Broward County for that matter. Brickell is Brickell, you can't even put it in the same breath or sentence as Las Olas. Same goes with Coconut Grove. Gotta love Brickell and the Grove

Old 03-19-2010, 08:53 AM

984 posts, read 4,316,298 times
I totally agree with Crisp and John...if you like Las Olas, you probably gonna like Coral Gables, and also Brickell and the Grove...

Old 03-19-2010, 05:57 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,380 times
I disagree that Brickell is not near a bad area. Downtown is not a good area (especially after 6 PM), and things start to go downhill pretty quick a few blocks west of Brickell Ave.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
I disagree that Brickell is not near a bad area. Downtown is not a good area (especially after 6 PM), and things start to go downhill pretty quick a few blocks west of Brickell Ave.
How is Downtown a bad area? and besides, it could be next to where a war is going on, but Brickell would still be nice and safe, and that other area is dangerous but just THAT area. Being next to a dangerous area means nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami