Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 04:43 PM

292 posts, read 956,082 times

Advertisements

The article says there is a "large consortium of creative professionals." What is forgot to say is that most of the "creative" ones are out of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 07:21 PM

261 posts, read 703,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Interesting Miami came in 6th most expensive City 2009. America's Most Expensive Cities 2009 - Yahoo! Real Estate
It always makes me wonder when stuff like this comes out...Are they talking about the City of Miami? The entire county? Specific areas picked and chosen to twist numbers around...Additionally, this is speaking only in terms of Real Estate, not an overall cost.

That may account for the Houston-DC thing as well.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:05 PM

317 posts, read 819,278 times
Quote:
Agreed people follow the jobs, but Miami needs those quality employees to stay in Miami to attract companies to set up the headquarters here. Which all goes back to educating the local population to the extent that they can attract these companies. But also Miami needs to be attractive for those students to stay here after school. I can say this most of the friends I went to HS with in Miami didn't return after college. Right now only 12.4% of Miami-Dade residence have a 4 year degree which less than the national average of 15.7%.

CTR, This is strange ha, I wonder what made DC a less expensive place than Houston? Maybe the pay scale in DC is higher, which off sets the higher costs of living?
I am a college grad and have many friends some with their BA's and some with their Masters Degree and many are having trouble finding jobs locally and are moving elsewhere. It’s not that Miami doesn’t have quality employees, but instead Miami isn't able to keep the quality candidates to stay in town due to lack of opportunity. There isn't a broad spectrum of jobs here. Let’s face it unless you’re going to be a doctor, nurse etc to take care of Miami's huge elderly population, or a bartender, promoter, etc... That works in South Beach there isn’t too much here. Yes, I know these aren't the only fields here, but can you really think off the top of your head of other fields that Miami is known for?

Old 02-05-2010, 02:29 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
^^^Off the top of my head, International Banking and Tourism come to mind first.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:05 PM

317 posts, read 819,278 times
Quote:
^^^Off the top of my head, International Banking and Tourism come to mind first.
Very true the international banking sector for Latin America is strong, but it can be an exclusive bunch especially if you’re not a Spanish speaker.

I see on the news they were saying that South Florida’s economy will get 400 million dollars from the super bowl and pro bowl, but I'm sure most of that will be in tourism.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:38 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,382,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post
I am a college grad and have many friends some with their BA's and some with their Masters Degree and many are having trouble finding jobs locally and are moving elsewhere. It’s not that Miami doesn’t have quality employees, but instead Miami isn't able to keep the quality candidates to stay in town due to lack of opportunity. There isn't a broad spectrum of jobs here. Let’s face it unless you’re going to be a doctor, nurse etc to take care of Miami's huge elderly population, or a bartender, promoter, etc... That works in South Beach there isn’t too much here. Yes, I know these aren't the only fields here, but can you really think off the top of your head of other fields that Miami is known for?
I think it's more an issue of lack of entry-level professional jobs, and that can be partly due to a lack of corporations headquartered here. Sure there's a decent amount of finance and business like any other major city, but Miami doesn't have the big companies that go out and bring in a flood of new graduates every year. It's moreso smaller niche firms or branches of larger companies that have a presence here, and those places will generally want more experience.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:00 PM

535 posts, read 1,410,558 times
Those cities in the list may have high cost of living, but the big difference is that they can afford it and in Miami people can't. How the hell can we afford Miami with a 15k salary?

Old 02-08-2010, 01:45 PM

736 posts, read 2,294,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
The "quality" employees will follow the big companies wherever they go. If big companies are not investing here, it has to do with natural disasters(hurricanes) and tax laws. Unless of course you mean something else by "quality"

Not sure what you mean by "tax laws" but if your statement was correct than places like San Franciso or Silicon Valley (in No. Calif) would NOT be major centers for high-tech companies (i.e., Earthquakes and high state income taxes).

There is a little bit of the chicken or the egg question at issue here:

Major research universities (for example, Stanford or UC Berkely in the SF Bay area) attract a large, highly skilled labor pool that companies (both established and start-up) can tap into. Yet, the high quality talent is CLEARY drawn to the area because the COMPANIES are located there.

Take SAN JOSE, CA (Silicon Valley) as an example. The running joke is the local residents call it "MAN JOSE" because the high-tech cluster draws so many MALES to the area.

And if you talk to many Silicon Valley residents who relocated to be there (many from other countries) they will tell you SAN JOSE is a PRETTY BORING city, esp. when compared to San Francisco which is about an hour north. Bottom line, they live there because that is where the action is for the high-tech industry....

Old 02-08-2010, 04:41 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
I don't know this to be 100% fact but I have been told by many people that a lot of people in Florida have a different work ethic than a lot of other states - I will quote the recruiter as saying "people here just don't want to work hard" - now this is not my statement and as I said, I'm not sure that it is true but if it is - this in large part would be a problem for employers - I'm not sure what the criteria for this list was - I personally don't think Miami is mor expensive than Boston - having visited both places - now I know there is an argument that miamians are not paid as well, but I don't think comparing a 15k dollar a year job is fair - these jobs will probably pay the same where ever you are no matter the state. If you can only obtain a job paying 15k that is another problem completely - this climate is not a good one for anyone in any state I promise - obviously there are certain states that offer mor opportunity simply due to the sheer volume of people. Food for thought legal secy's are back to early 2k wages of 55k a year here

Old 02-08-2010, 06:28 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,382,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I don't know this to be 100% fact but I have been told by many people that a lot of people in Florida have a different work ethic than a lot of other states - I will quote the recruiter as saying "people here just don't want to work hard" - now this is not my statement and as I said, I'm not sure that it is true but if it is - this in large part would be a problem for employers - I'm not sure what the criteria for this list was - I personally don't think Miami is mor expensive than Boston - having visited both places - now I know there is an argument that miamians are not paid as well, but I don't think comparing a 15k dollar a year job is fair - these jobs will probably pay the same where ever you are no matter the state. If you can only obtain a job paying 15k that is another problem completely - this climate is not a good one for anyone in any state I promise - obviously there are certain states that offer mor opportunity simply due to the sheer volume of people. Food for thought legal secy's are back to early 2k wages of 55k a year here
The South in general has that reputation, but then you have outliers like Atlanta, Charlotte, and Raleigh (Research Triangle). I'm not sure that's the big reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: