Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 07:06 PM

782 posts, read 759,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Having lived in Miami for a year now, after moving from San Diego for 13 years (and prior to that 17 years in OC and 3 years in SF/Marin County). Miami is certainly not without its problems, but after 1 year I much prefer it.

Miami:
--Much more modern looking city / less 1970's Koll standard brown architecture.
--Demonstrably better restaurants and nightlife options for adults
--more clean cut people, less hipster tattoo type and nice establishments have and enforce dress codes
--let alone 3 hour plane ride to Colombia, a 3 hour plane ride gets you to 30+ different countries (including the Caribbean)--3 hour plane ride from SD gets you to 2 countries....a 7-8 hour plane ride from Miami gets you to Europe. Nice to be able to get to these and more places from a hub (American Airlines) airport via direct, not connecting, flights.
--all 4 pro sports teams--nice to be able to catch a PROFESSIONAL hockey or basketball game in person.
--No homeless problem...when I lived in downtown SD the homeless problem was mushrooming (4th highest in nation) and now there is a Hepatitis A outbreak throughout the city. Not saying homeless do not exist in Miami--but nothing remotely close to SD
--Infrastructure--Miami gets the edge...while there are days when there is flooding in the streets at least its city government is addressing the issue via pumps..in SD, you can hardly drive any day without worrying about running into a pothole (including wealthy communities) on a daily basis from poorly maintained streets.
--I'm a gym rat...nice to be able to take a shower at Equinox or workout in Brickell without catching other guys staring at you like a laser like they do in downtown SD. On the other hand, SD has much nicer gyms (equipment wise).
--many more beach days / temperature wise here...my definition of a beach day is being able to lie on the beach out and sunbathe. San Diegans count chilly days in the winter when they ride a bike at the beach but are wearing sweatshirts or sweaters but cannot sunbathe as beach days--I don't.
--Property tax higher but no state income tax.
--traffic worse in Miami, parking/parking fees (including when you go to some malls and buy something) worse in Miami, drivers much worse in Miami. SD is pedestrian friendly, Miami is not.
--women demonstrably better looking in Miami and they age better
--weather--most pleasant surprise to me about Miami...humidity, mosquitoes, and summer much less of a factor than I though it might be. Do not miss chilly winters in San Diego where there were days when I had to wear my ski jacket for morning coffee between December - early March nor having my skin dry out from the desert like winters...and late August to late September there is a period in SD when warm air comes up from Mexico and it exceeds 100 with no breezes.
--Residents from Miami and San Diego complain about COL and neither city is great for building wealth....you can say that about most coastal cities, COL wise--the ones with greater opportunities (NYC, LA, SF) are even more expensive than Miami or San Diego. Change careers or change cities if you cannot make ends meet.
--More bang for your buck in Miami in terms of real estate (but if you want to spend $30M on a condo or estate there are plenty of those in Miami).
--SD has access to mountains and desert--Miami does not.
--Developers rule Miami; more open spaces in SD.
--SD suffers from penis envy of LA and SF, needing constant reassurance that it matters..."we're not LA "(no kidding); we're a great city, aren't we?..it's November 15, where else is it 80 degrees (ah, Miami, Tampa, Orlando, OC, LA, Phoenix?).
--Art Basel v Comic-con...types of people these 2 events attracts summarizes the difference between Miami and SD....Miami is a sophisticated, world class city that attracts well to do people from around the world (whether they live here full time or not)...SD is an unsophisticated city where many, not all, people are content to settle for things or settle for things as they are in exchange for a temperate climate. SD has its share of well to do people, most of whom earned their wealth elsewhere and live in suburban enclaves that shut down around 9PM.
--If you are looking to live in suburbia with a Midwest mindset with lots of Midwesterners (and throes of Arizona people in the summer), SD wins...if you want urban and beach with a more sophisticated and greater international vibe (and Northeast snowbirds), Miami by a mile.
Not discounting SoFla has it's great points, but I don't agree with you on all points as most of it does not apply at either location or elsewhere or make once a better place to live from my perspective. Food quality I agree, but that doesn't pay the rent or make it worth staying at anyplace for.

Sports teams, well aside from Baseball and Basketball you are forced to drive to Miami Gardens near the Broward line and NHL is in Sunrise, not exactly that close.

It was in the 90's here last week, not the same as last year but now it cooled down last year it was tough for us coming from SoFla to here, but this year we adjusted but to be honest we both prefer SoFla weather vs here and that goes for the beaches as well. No arguement there.

I'm a working stiff, I have to work for the man, not like I'm my own Boss and have my own thing that is portable, my skillset and field is specialized and does extremely well here, LA and SF as well as other select areas but not in SoFla.

For me there vs here is night and day for wage building and making more $, salaries are so low in SoFla in comparison to the high cost of living that lower home prices mean little, since it's all relative and the mortage you would paying is often eaten up my high insurance costs across the board. Never mind the No State Income tax, you are going to pay plenty for insurance and other fees to live there on top of it being expensive as it is.

There is more opportunity here than in SoFla for me, lot's of more big employers and companies, that goes for LA or SF Bay Area, but I have no desire to live in those locations reason I picked San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 07:21 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,588 times
Quote:
Having lived in Miami for a year now, after moving from San Diego for 13 years (and prior to that 17 years in OC and 3 years in SF/Marin County). Miami is certainly not without its problems, but after 1 year I much prefer it.

Miami:
--Much more modern looking city / less 1970's Koll standard brown architecture.
--Demonstrably better restaurants and nightlife options for adults
--more clean cut people, less hipster tattoo type and nice establishments have and enforce dress codes
--let alone 3 hour plane ride to Colombia, a 3 hour plane ride gets you to 30+ different countries (including the Caribbean)--3 hour plane ride from SD gets you to 2 countries....a 7-8 hour plane ride from Miami gets you to Europe. Nice to be able to get to these and more places from a hub (American Airlines) airport via direct, not connecting, flights.
--all 4 pro sports teams--nice to be able to catch a PROFESSIONAL hockey or basketball game in person.
--No homeless problem...when I lived in downtown SD the homeless problem was mushrooming (4th highest in nation) and now there is a Hepatitis A outbreak throughout the city. Not saying homeless do not exist in Miami--but nothing remotely close to SD
--Infrastructure--Miami gets the edge...while there are days when there is flooding in the streets at least its city government is addressing the issue via pumps..in SD, you can hardly drive any day without worrying about running into a pothole (including wealthy communities) on a daily basis from poorly maintained streets.
--I'm a gym rat...nice to be able to take a shower at Equinox or workout in Brickell without catching other guys staring at you like a laser like they do in downtown SD. On the other hand, SD has much nicer gyms (equipment wise).
--many more beach days / temperature wise here...my definition of a beach day is being able to lie on the beach out and sunbathe. San Diegans count chilly days in the winter when they ride a bike at the beach but are wearing sweatshirts or sweaters but cannot sunbathe as beach days--I don't.
--Property tax higher but no state income tax.
--traffic worse in Miami, parking/parking fees (including when you go to some malls and buy something) worse in Miami, drivers much worse in Miami. SD is pedestrian friendly, Miami is not.
--women demonstrably better looking in Miami and they age better
--weather--most pleasant surprise to me about Miami...humidity, mosquitoes, and summer much less of a factor than I though it might be. Do not miss chilly winters in San Diego where there were days when I had to wear my ski jacket for morning coffee between December - early March nor having my skin dry out from the desert like winters...and late August to late September there is a period in SD when warm air comes up from Mexico and it exceeds 100 with no breezes.
--Residents from Miami and San Diego complain about COL and neither city is great for building wealth....you can say that about most coastal cities, COL wise--the ones with greater opportunities (NYC, LA, SF) are even more expensive than Miami or San Diego. Change careers or change cities if you cannot make ends meet.
--More bang for your buck in Miami in terms of real estate (but if you want to spend $30M on a condo or estate there are plenty of those in Miami).
--SD has access to mountains and desert--Miami does not.
--Developers rule Miami; more open spaces in SD.
--SD suffers from penis envy of LA and SF, needing constant reassurance that it matters..."we're not LA "(no kidding); we're a great city, aren't we?..it's November 15, where else is it 80 degrees (ah, Miami, Tampa, Orlando, OC, LA, Phoenix?).
--Art Basel v Comic-con...types of people these 2 events attracts summarizes the difference between Miami and SD....Miami is a sophisticated, world class city that attracts well to do people from around the world (whether they live here full time or not)...SD is an unsophisticated city where many, not all, people are content to settle for things or settle for things as they are in exchange for a temperate climate. SD has its share of well to do people, most of whom earned their wealth elsewhere and live in suburban enclaves that shut down around 9PM.
--If you are looking to live in suburbia with a Midwest mindset with lots of Midwesterners (and throes of Arizona people in the summer), SD wins...if you want urban and beach with a more sophisticated and greater international vibe (and Northeast snowbirds), Miami by a mile.
Great comprehensive post (repped ya). After reading this list, based on the things that matter to me I would take Miami and it's no contest.

Gotta say though, I have my doubts about your claim I bolded. I suspect the bros staring at you to be all in your mind

Last edited by Valhallian; 11-27-2017 at 07:29 PM..

Old 11-27-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
what percent of the SD workforce is employed in biotech, which pales in comparison to biotech in the SF Bay Area...aside from healthcare (which Miami has as well) and military, what other industries does SD have a great presence in and track record of job creation ?.....technology companies have been fleeing the area (many for Texas) and even the one bellwether firm in the area, Qualcomm, has been shedding jobs and is fighting a takeover from Broadcom, which could reduce its San Diego thumbprint should that merger go through. That leaves Callaway Golf, Jack-in-the-Box, and Sempra Energy as significant players in the area...who am I missing?...I'm not counting craft beer or Rubio's as industries or firms to work for if one plans on building solid wealth.

If one includes the entire San Diego-Carlsbad MSA then an apples to apples comparison would be to the Miami-FLL-West Palm MSA, which is home to Carnival, Royal Caribbean, NCL, BrandsMart, Auto Nation, Burger King, Lennar, Citirx Systems, World Fuel Services, Publix, Office Depot, Ryder, and others.

I'm not saying Miami is a top job creator or wealth generating city within the US, but then neither is San Diego....like Miami, many people living in SD have earned their wealth elsewhere and brought it with them (in Miami's case, more international)....LA, SF, NYC, Seattle, Austin, etc etc are another matter altogether. Last I checked, Forbes ranked Miami as 84th on its list of Best Places for Business and Careers and San Diego as 48th.....not sure how much more wealth 48th creates than 84th, particularly when factoring in COL...fortunately, for me, my career in technology with a top tier/bellwether firm has not been dependent upon a Miami or San Diego based company's wages and I've been able to write my own ticket and choose to live where I want to.
Biotech is big here along with Medical Device companies, in San Diego and North County alone. Salaries are quite high in those sectors.

Miami doesn't have the Biotech and Medical Device companies like you see here, no way. Healthcare there is service based, plastic surgery and typical medical buildings and hospitals are in high volume in SoFla in general.

Directory – San Diego Biotechnology Network

San Diego's Life Sciences Cluster

You are not too informed on the companies in San Diego County, the business park I work in alone probably has more employers than what you'd find in all of Miami-Dade. These are global companies with operations here, not little small businesses which are in high volume there. Business parks in SoFla are small and full of little Mom and Pop shops or small branches, further north you go it's even worse into Broward and Palm Beach. We lived and worked in SoFla a combined 30+ years, so I know what exists there and what has gone of the Dodo bird, Motorola is History, Freescale in Boca History, IBM in Boca, history and I can name a lot more.

Broadcom is in San Diego as well, not sure they are moving to Texas i have not heard that, no merger has happened or takeover at that.

I can tell you from Oceanside to TJ there area more well known companies & company HQ across the board than from Miami to Jupiter FL, since you mentioned the Miami MSA. Go and count the business parks in Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach and you will surely be coming up with little and if you do find any they will be filled small businesses mainly service based overall. SoFla is a service based economy, unless you work in one of those fields you are going to find things slim pickens.

Granted Miami has it's strong points for South America, but what's made in South America? That's why I said, why would I care if I can fly to Colombia? I fly through LAX to go to China or Japan, not that getting there is enjoyable people at my company do it all the time and often take a limo to the airport or fly from SD to LAX.

SoFla will never see a boom of companies located in Asia relocating there from here, the 3 hour difference is already a big negative, I can talk on the phone to offices in Asia at 5pm PST and it's 9am there, if needed we can go to 6pm. It's also 5 to 6 hours closer than having to fly from from Miami, that is a 15 to 16 hour flight to Hong Kong vs. a 22 hour flight from Miami, no thanks.

Like I stated, SD and CA in genera is better suited for my field, I'm making more money here than I'd ever make in SoFla and I'm able to invest more into my 401K and other investments, I'm building wealth and getting treated better overall, nice bonuses, no need to worry about non-competes they don't exist in CA nor are they legal.

I looked at Miami prior, a few start-ups contacted me but the offer was weak in relation to the high cost of living, one job was located on Miami Beach and they planned to relocate downtown after a year or two, after doing the math on housing and the uptick in insurance which was already high in West Palm Beach, I passed on both offers. We seriously wanted to stay put but seeing Miami negatives made it not worth it.

I'm not even opening the Hurricane and not too distant future flooding issue door, that will be an issue in Miami. Irma's near miss was luck, I been through several hurricanes in Palm Beach County and Irma was a near miss for SE FL and could have been worse. We talked to friends back there and they said compared to France, Jean and Wilma it was not too bad, they dodged a big one.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
To each their own. Nevertheless, a flight from San Diego to Tokyo will be a minimum of 11.5 hours. And the choice of non-stop flights will be limited given San Diego's small airport.

I said San Diego has a slight advantage with a more "diverse" economy but as noted by others, this is a very small advantage.

Both cities have the proverbial "sunshine" tax....in other words the number of good paying jobs is quite small relative to the population and demand to live there.

While Miami's wages are lower, San Diego's housing costs are MUCH higher than Miami's.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Neither city is particularly great for a blue collar family. I never claimed otherwise.

My reference to the lower housing costs in Miami relative to San Diego holds true. For many people (like Elchevere) who come from other high cost areas they can come to Miami with significant home equity which gives them a major leg up (if they choose to buy).
You cannot fly to Hong Kong direct out of SD, they are all connecting. Only flight non-stop is to NRT in Japan. We just fly out of LAX, not too bad with Limo service out of North County and the flights are lower in cost. If you flew from Miami to Hong Kong, it's a 22 hour flight give or take, it's only 15 to 16 hours from LAX.

I hardly see the point in being 3 hours from Colombia or being closer to Europe as an advantage? China will soon surpass the USA at the largest economy, I already did the Europe trip thing from the East Coast it's not what it use to be. That goes for more of the so called "Benefits" unless you are rich and retired or a small few who can make it work in either location.

San Diego has more HQ and well known employers vs. Miami and SoFla, Service industry is #1 in SoFla along with Tourism.

Sunshine Tax big in SoFla but not for me here, my employer recruited and relocated me here from SoFla, that would never happen vice versa, never. Also in my field, the salaries here substantially higher than in SoFla, even after the state income tax, I'm coming out ahead leaps and bounds and able to invest more and pay off debt fast, savings is growing as in FL it was stagant.

Miami's median home prices are lower, but salaries are also lower substantially lower. If you want to live on Miami Beach or Coral Gables and the other affluent areas it's going to cost you plenty. Also you will be paying high insurance across the board no matter where you live in SoFla compared to here along with high property taxes.

I owned a house in Palm Beach County in an affluent area, sold it before the market went cold for a profit, it's Cold there now not on fire like here and Miami is in serious Bubble.

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 03:21 AM..

Old 11-27-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
Great comprehensive post (repped ya). After reading this list, based on the things that matter to me I would take Miami and it's no contest.

Gotta say though, I have my doubts about your claim I bolded. I suspect the bros staring at you to be all in your mind
You are better off in Miami seeing your location, first off you will be among your kin, the Pizza and Italian food sucks here and SoFla is basically the 6th Borough. Forgot to add Bagels are bad here too.

Last edited by aewan68; 11-27-2017 at 09:10 PM..

Old 11-27-2017, 09:45 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,394,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
You cannot fly to Hong Kong direct out of SD, they are all connecting. Only flight non-stop is to NRT in Japan. We just fly out of LAX, not too bad with Limo service out of North County and the flights are lower in cost. If you flew from Miami to Hong Kong, it's a 22 hour flight give or take, it's only 15 to 16 hours from LAX.

I hardly see the point in being 3 hours from Colombia or being closer to Europe as an advantage? China will soon surpass the USA at the largest economy, I already did the Europe trip thing from the East Coast it's not what it use to be. That goes for more of the so called "Benefits" unless you are rich and retired or a small few who can make it work in either location..
LOL...like I said: To Each Their Own. That said, it sounds like from another post your work makes a connection to Asia relevant to you. The West Coast is good for YOU. I am a Los Angeles native, I am quite familiar with the economic benefits of the Pacific Rim. For my industry it doesn't happen to be a factor.

IF you are a single, straight guy (as I am) then you don't have to ask why having Central and South America (e.g., Colombia, Brazil, etc.) at your doorstep is a fantastic benefit. Not the deciding factor but a nice fringe benefit.

Quote:

San Diego has more HQ and well known employers vs. Miami and SoFla, Service industry is #1 in SoFla along with Tourism.

Sunshine Tax big in SoFla but not for me here, my employer recruited and relocated me here from SoFla, that would never happen vice versa, never. Also in my field, the salaries here substantially higher than in SoFla, even after the state income tax, I'm coming out ahead leaps and bounds and able to invest more and pay off debt fast, savings is growing as in FL it was stagant.

Miami's median home prices are lower, but salaries are also lower substantially lower. If you want to live on Miami Beach or Coral Gables and the other affluent areas it's going to cost you plenty. Also you will be paying high insurance across the board no matter where you live in SoFla compared to here along with high property taxes.
I have several lifelong buddies who went to college in S.D. over 20 years ago and never left. I've also known quite a few professionals who've relocated from LA or SF to San Diego.

San Diego has always been a high rent/low wage town. That said, I AGREE that it certainly has more high-wage employment than Miami (e.g. the bio-tech cluster, etc.). Nevertheless, that doesn't erase the sunshine tax which MOST professionals pay when they move to S.D. compared to other major metro areas.

Here are some stats which show how costly it is to live in San Diego relative to Miami:

Average wage in San Diego: 12% higher than the national average;
Average wage in Miami metro area: 7% below the national average;

(Source: the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2016 data)

https://www.bls.gov/regions/west/new...s_sandiego.htm

https://www.bls.gov/regions/southeas...i_20170517.pdf

Yet the average housing cost for San Diego is in the stratosphere. The national "average" housing cost (which includes property taxes) is indexed to 100.00:

San Diego Housing costs: 292
Miami Housing costs: 157

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 03:21 AM..

Old 11-27-2017, 11:43 PM

[quote=Astral_Weeks;50242385]LOL...like I said: To Each Their Own. That said, it sounds like from another post your work makes a connection to Asia relevant to you. The West Coast is good for YOU. I am a Los Angeles native, I am quite familiar with the economic benefits of the Pacific Rim. For my industry it doesn't happen to be a factor.

IF you are a single, straight guy (as I am) then you don't have to ask why having Central and South America (e.g., Colombia, Brazil, etc.) at your doorstep is a fantastic benefit. Not the deciding factor but a nice fringe benefit.

I have several lifelong buddies who went to college in S.D. over 20 years ago and never left. I've also known quite a few professionals who've relocated from LA or SF to San Diego.

San Diego has always been a high rent/low wage town. That said, I AGREE that it certainly has more high-wage employment than Miami (e.g. the bio-tech cluster, etc.). Nevertheless, that doesn't erase the sunshine tax which MOST professionals pay when they move to S.D. compared to other major metro areas.

Here are some stats which show how costly it is to live in San Diego relative to Miami:

Average wage in San Diego: 12% higher than the national average;
Average wage in Miami metro area: 7% below the national average;

(Source: the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2016 data)

https://www.bls.gov/regions/west/new...s_sandiego.htm

https://www.bls.gov/regions/southeas...i_20170517.pdf

Yet the average housing cost for San Diego is in the stratosphere. The national "average" housing cost (which includes property taxes) is indexed to 100.00:

San Diego Housing costs: 292
Miami Housing costs: 157

LOL! I'm married and not looking for a Cali Girl, that's Cali, Colombia, I'm aware of the mail order bride thing, much like Russian and China because I worked with Colombians and have Colombian and South American friends back in SoFla who made me aware of it a long time ago lol!

Just be sure if you move to Miami, you are making the $$ to afford South American woman, because they often are high maintenance lol and there is plenty of single men with money they can run off to when you are not delivering the luxury car and high end clothing/handbags, trips to Bal Harbour Neiman's.

I heard the story of the Sunshine Tax here and saw it in Florida, thing is I never would have moved here if the salaries were not enough to make it work, would have been a stupid move. Coming out here I got full relo, sign-on bonus and another bonus within a year of employment. I see plenty of people here in my line of work or industry doing quite well. This goes for other related industry here. The Sunshine Tax in FL is more evident or was more prevalent on the flip side, I knew people who threw away their degrees to live there instead of relocating to someplace else where career/wage growth are going to happen, for many SoFla is a Dead End at too young an age in their careers. IF someone can make it work and do well there, then good for them. Everyone I worked with in SoFla complained about $ and work, no opportunity, "this place sucks", " they dont' give raises, no bonuses" , "I"m working on my resume tonight" yadda yadda yadda, negative, toxic culture and people stuck in their jobs miserable as it gets. People in general are miserable there and in a fit of rage when driving.

Since moving here, I heard zilch on salaries or anything about how negative companies are, it seems companies here bend over backwards for people, my employer literally wiped some people's behinds and when they have kids, yep I work with one guy who is 30 and had 2 kids in the past 3 years, never complains about money, he used the laws here to take paternity leave and so do others, using the system which doesnt' exist or would get you fired in FL. That's only scraping the surface, so from my point of view, working here is an advantage and people are incredibly spoiled and don't know how good they have it.

I lived in four states total up to this point, if I went back to the Northeast my income there likely would not match here or back to the SE in Atlanta, my income would not be what it is here in some areas unless I lived in a major city where the cost of living would be high. Atlanta cost of living is cheap as long as you don't reside in Buckhead, but salaries are often lower in my line of work. Supply and demand, reason the SF Bay Area is lucrative for many, but the cost of living is now making that less lucrative. Northeast is not cheap in the places were the good jobs are in my field.

Keep in mind there is a lot of poverty in Miami and the nice areas are expensive, ghetto is prevalent around the lower median home price areas. Not sure why you think it's so damn cheap there and the sources you are posting are total BS, have you ever been to Miami and lived there? Have you driven around the hood? I think you might be in for shock.

Median household income in Miami-Dade County = $43K

How poor is Miami? The rich earn $40 for every $1 earned by the poor | Miami Herald

Median household income in San Diego County = $67K

Neither place is affordable for median wage earners, that much I can agree but as you can see on what homes cost below $43K would have a rough time going too far as well. That is to buy, even renters would be hard pressed to get ahead in either location.

Keep in mind that Sunshine Tax income you will likely get in SoFla will not go too far to afford Coral Gables living. Good thing is the bubble there is about to implode, greed and overvalued homes are all over as is inventory for sale, good luck finding so many homes on the market in SoCal at the same level, you won't because we have been looking and homes go fast here.

Coral Gables

Median $751K

https://www.zillow.com/coral-gables-fl/home-values/

Note: "Cold Market"

Brickell

Median $366K, not bad vs. here but that's mainly condos so no SFH for that price. I can buy a SFH here for that.

https://www.zillow.com/brickell-miami-fl/home-values/

https://www.zillow.com/brickell-miami-fl/

Coconut Grove

$633K

https://www.zillow.com/north-east-co...l/home-values/

Kendall, further inland

$300K

https://www.zillow.com/kendall-fl/home-values/

Miami Springs

$382K

https://www.zillow.com/miami-springs-fl/home-values/

Hialeah

$239K

https://www.zillow.com/hialeah-fl/home-values/

$350K Nice! lol, don't mind paying nearly $5K/year in property taxes and probably $2 to 3K+ for homeowners + windstorm annually. All tax info in FL is public, just look under "Tax History" or go to local County Property Appraiser, be prepared for sticker shock on tax rates. Insurance is a lot harder, but older homes not to code are $$$.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...65_rect/11_zm/

$321K real nice! lol!

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...65_rect/11_zm/

Then you can go way out west in Doral

Median $318K

https://www.zillow.com/doral-fl/home-values/

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 03:20 AM..

Old 11-28-2017, 05:17 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
...actually, most of my straight friends noticed and complained the same thing--annoying after awhile....and the gym actually had to put up a sign right outside the steam room stating lewd membership will result in immediate membership termination, following a lewd act--not seen that anywhere else I've lived (NY, Atlanta, SF, OC and now Miami)....one of the reasons San Diego is called Man Diego. i could provide other incidents/examples but won't--fortunately, my comfort zone has not been violated so far in Miami...of course, this was in Downtown SD--San Diego County is much bigger than just downtown and Carlsbad or Rancho Bernardo are quite different from downtown.

"Gotta say though, I have my doubts about your claim I bolded. I suspect the bros staring at you to be all in your mind"

"I'm a gym rat...nice to be able to take a shower at Equinox or workout in Brickell without catching other guys staring at you like a laser like they do in downtown SD. On the other hand, SD has much nicer gyms (equipment wise)"\

Last edited by elchevere; 11-28-2017 at 06:16 AM..

Old 11-28-2017, 05:29 AM

...try Brooklyn Bagel in East Village for a good bagel.

Meat and seafood demonstrably better here as well.

Much of Miami/So Fla and San Diego are comparable from a suburban standpoint...if you crave urban--which I do, downtown San Diego (and it surrounding hoods of North Park, Hillcrest, etc.) cannot hold a candlestick to Miami--which has a larger core and much more to offer....downtown San Diego is a lot closer to suburban Garden City, Long Island than it is Miami....if you crave urban in CA, you must live in SF or LA (preferably the West side).

Quote:
You are better off in Miami seeing your location, first off you will be among your kin, the Pizza and Italian food sucks here and SoFla is basically the 6th Borough. Forgot to add Bagels are bad here too.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-28-2017 at 06:21 AM..

Old 11-28-2017, 05:59 AM

"San Diego has more HQ and well known employers vs. Miami and SoFla"

--I provided a list of corporate based HQ's, not satellite offices, based in SoFla earlier....comparable to corporate based HQ's, excluding biotech, based in San Diego/Carlsbad MSA....the list of companies you might have provided in your business park are most likely headquartered elsewhere and have a satellite office presence there as they do in a number of other cities. Never said Miami was strong in biotech and asked what percent of the SD population works in biotech; then again, SD is not an international banking center as Miami is. Miami does not have a huge Naval presence (outside of Coast Guard) which leads to a lot of defense contractor business in SD.

never said Qualcomm or Broadcom would move to Texas--stated other tech firms have already closed shop and left for Texas. Broadcom, wholly owned subsidiary of Avago, HQ's is based in Irvine (Orange County)--should their merger/takeover of Qualcomm proceed (in the news within the past few weeks) that not only could have an impact on the number of employees needed in SD (vs. moving many up to Irvine) but it would also effect local suppliers and companies--some who might even be in your business park--that are dependent upon Qualcomm. I am somewhat familiar with this industry as I work for a very large Dallas based semiconductor company.

You referenced the $366 median Brickell price and stated you could buy a SFH in SD for the same cost as a Brickell condo?....I was never in the market for a SFH when I lived in SD, but what desirable area of SD can you find a SFH, let alone a tiny and aged condo, for $366K?...that seems like a misprint to me. Please clarify....my experience is the opposite as far as condos goes....I am looking at a possible direct bayfront, water view, 1500 sq ft condo in a luxury building in Brickell that might cost $800K; a comparable building, though somewhat smaller (1200-1300 sq ft) and nice but not as nice amenities, in downtown SD would easily start at $1.1M (and be closer to 1.8-2.0M in LA).

As stated earlier, if one is looking for suburbia and a SFH then San Diego County and Miami/FLL/West Palm are similar with the edge to SD...if you want urban, no comparison--Miami. SD is more to OC as Miami is more to LA.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-28-2017 at 07:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami