Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 08:24 PM

38 posts, read 242,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
almost every saturday

Any way I could get my hand on any unlaid eggs? Not sure if you currently use them or throw them away... but I'd be grateful for any that you find during the slaughtering process....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 09:34 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,531,403 times
we toss them but if I may ask why do you want them? it seems a bit of an odd request.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:53 PM

Ok.. yes, it sounds odd, so, here's the long story....

If you find any old Jewish grandmother from the NY/NJ area, and they will know about unlaid chicken eggs. Sometimes called 'ayerlach' (meaning little eggs in Yiddish), they were quickly boiled, then cleaned (of the membrane) and added to chicken soup. They were also eaten plain with just a little Kosher salt sprinkled on it. I have such fond memories of this from my childhood and was recently telling my new wife of them; and it has since become my mission to try and get some for the Passover holidays (which looks like it won't happen), since this is the first time I am celebrating it since the passing of my mother (who used to make them for me).

I was able to get them in NJ with no trouble from a local poultry farm, but in South Florida, I have had no luck whatsoever, including Kosher Markets in West Palm - I am amazed. I swear, the NJ poultry farm would save them in the freezer and sell them for dirt cheap - I suppose there were not many who used them anymore. It seems like these eggs have now become my mission. But I am at a complete loss. I guess I have turned into Ahab, and the eggs are my Moby Dick. LOL...

Also, FYI, apparently the Jews were not the only ethnic group that used to use these little eggs. Here is a NY Times article that foucses on them (The New York Times > Log In). It's from 2/2007, I guess they did not catch on. They have been used in various ways and by various ethnic groups; Jews (in chicken soup), Indians (in curry), the French (topping a bouchée à la reine), etc.

Ok, that was probably more than you needed to know. LOL... I just want them because I really liked them as a kid and for nostalgic reasons. And would be grateful to have them again. It's the little things, I suppose....

Old 03-31-2009, 05:45 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,531,403 times
I will gladly collect some for you and post when I have them. most probably next monday. when is passover this year?

Old 03-31-2009, 06:05 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyGit View Post
I actually just got off the phone with the Delaware Chicken Farm in Hollywood... they said that there is a tri-county law that outlaws the slaughtering of poultry within the tri-counties... very strange...
That may be true. Delaware Chicken Farm is my poultry market of choice though. I drive from Weston to Hollywood once a month to get my poultry there. It's natural chicken at reasonable prices.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
I will gladly collect some for you and post when I have them. most probably next monday. when is passover this year?
I owe you a great many thanks... There is certainly no rush.... I will also private message you my contact information... Passover begins sundown on April 8th, but it is not mandatory that I have them for the holiday.

Many many thanks!!!

Old 04-01-2009, 12:21 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
I second the chicken problem. Recently I had to eradicate a rooster that kept climbing in a bush at my parent's home next to their bedroom window. Poultry seems to be wandering everywhere and rooster crowing can be heard all day. That last one got netted and released at the kendall drive Team Metro office...LOL

Old 01-26-2010, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,702 times
Default catching chickens

All the city has to do to catch the chickens is wait untill dusk around 6:00 pm and the chickens will roost in the trees and you walk right up and grab them they wont even go any were its very easy then the city wont look stupid running around on t.v. (dirty jobs) wasting money!

Old 01-26-2010, 10:22 PM

170 posts, read 450,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyGit View Post
In plain English, these are eggs that have not been laid and are sometimes discovered when an elderly laying hen is
slaughtered.
That is disgusting. Why do you want unlaid eggs?

Old 01-26-2010, 11:08 PM

to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami