Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 04:30 PM

4 posts, read 13,972 times

Advertisements

My wife and I were thinking about moving to these areas. Which one is better? Schools? Housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 05:24 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,870,471 times
ummm its kind of the same area... cept dadeland is more towards downtown kendal.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:37 PM

108 posts, read 416,075 times
Dadeland will be the town center of the newly incorporated Kendall. It will also likely be the name of the township (I participated in the charette about this several years ago).

Kendall extends from US1 west to the Everglades and from south of 72nd St (Sunset) to about 160th or so (excluding the part from Sunset to 80th and US1 to about 72nd Ave, which is in South Miami).

Dadeland is the area between US1 and 87th Ave (Galloway) and 80th St and 104th St. I used to own a nice but simple home there in the Continental Park area (made of Large timber Dade County Pine...made it through hurricanes and suchlike for 50 years without a worry), which is great for kids, has a school and park, and has mostly single family homes on larger lots. Sidwalks are spotty, city sewer service is spotty (we had a well and a septic tank), and there are few street lights. The Metro is within walking or biking distance for an easy commute. Lots of English speaking folks, also Spanish speaking, but mostly bilingual. Safe. Shopping is convenient. A nice library is within reach. Its a pretty dull neighborhood, but if you watch TV (I don't), you might like it.

DR

Old 03-08-2009, 10:46 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,674,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie richard View Post
My wife and I were thinking about moving to these areas. Which one is better? Schools? Housing?
The Dadeland area is part of Kendall, far east Kendall to be exact. That area is one of the nicest suburban areas in South Florida and offers nice housing, convenience of retail and Metro Rail, and good schools.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:53 PM

Are there specific subdivisions or neighborhoods that we should look at? We have 2 kids under 3 so we want kid friendly area that would be a decent commute to my job in Merrick Park

Old 03-09-2009, 04:05 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
To help us, what is your price range and basic things you are looking for other than schools?

Old 03-09-2009, 06:44 PM

we are looking to spend around 1600 to 1800 per month to rent a single family home. We would like 3 bedrooms at least and a yard for the kids. We currently live in Jupiter Florida and I would love a community similar to that. Close to fun things for the kids with a good sense of community, great restaurants, etc. I would prefer a newer home with updated amenities. Can we find that in North Kendall?

Old 03-09-2009, 07:52 PM

we are looking to spend around 1600 to 1800 per month to rent a single family home. We would like 3 bedrooms at least and a yard for the kids. We currently live in Jupiter Florida and I would love a community similar to that. Close to fun things for the kids with a good sense of community, great restaurants, etc. I would prefer a newer home with updated amenities. Can we find that in North Kendall?

Old 03-10-2009, 08:55 AM

763 posts, read 3,533,891 times
I would stay away from Kendall just because of one thing: distance from Merrick Park. There are a lot of single family homes around Merrick Park that are really nice. Although most of them are quite old, they are all well-kept. I know rent for a house in Kendall would be cheaper than rent for a home in Coral Gables, but for a short commute, I'd suggest looking into its immediate areas such as: Coral Gables itself, Coconut Grove, Coral Way, South Miami, The Roads, and Pinecrest. I'd also suggest the eastern edges of Kendall.

Dadeland's not a bad suggestion since there's a Metro Station at Dadeland and a Metro station at Merrick Park, but there are no single family homes in Dadeland (you could avoid driving to work and take the train instead). All the above areas have a great sense of community and are all really nice (with the exception of the small shady area of the West Grove). Hope that helps!

Old 03-10-2009, 11:55 AM

108 posts, read 416,075 times
The Continental Park area, just south and west of Dadeland (actually, south of Kendall DR and west of US1 and the end of 826) is within easy walking distance of the last metro stop, is safe, is close to shopping and some cafes, has a decent school, has a nice park, and is very kid freindly. I owned a house there for 10 years and would be there still if I had a need for that sort of environment. You should be able to find a home for rent there in your price range, but make certain the owner does not face foreclosure. There was a guy buying a flipping houses in the neighborhood during the boom; I suspect he is in over his head now.

DR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami