Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2008, 08:20 PM

62 posts, read 287,474 times

Advertisements

This is insane.
I went outside & noticed someone had parked their truck in the middle of my front yard - not on the right of way, not the driveway, but smack in the middle of the front yard.(they backed it up into the middle of the yard about 25 feet from the street & there it sits facing the street)

It's been there for a couple hours so I called the police.
They arrived, checked the license plates.
I went out to talk to them, and they said it belonged to the person who lives across the street from me one house over.(aprox 75 feet across the street)
The owner claims it broke down.
(I'm baffled as to how he managed to back it in that far on to the grass so it's in the middle of my yard but somehow couldn' get it to his own driveway 75 feet across the street - plus there's a garage on the corner he had to pass to get it where it sits.)

The police said they spoke to him and that he said he would move it .
I said please make sure he understands it needs to be done ASAP.

[I'm normally not a bad neighbor, but if your car breaks down and you live across the street, the polite thing to do is knock on the person's door or leave a note telling them why you left you vehicle in their yard, not let it sit there for a few hours, until the police arrive ]

The police said if I want to have it towed, I have to pay for the towing.
I said, that is outrageous.

They said they understand but the car is on private property and so I would have to tow it at my expense and get the person's information to take him to court.

I said I took down the license plate number on the truck; the police said , no that won't work because it's an invalid tag, it comes back to no one.
I said, he has an invalid tag, I'm sure they know the tag is invalid, but I'm suppose to persuade them to give me their name & drivers license number to take them to court?
Police shrugged.
I asked why they can't ticket the person for having an invalid tag, they said because it's not in traffic but on private property.

Frankly, this sounds ridiculous.

Why wouldn't the police get the person's name & drivers license if they have an invalid tag? (tag is not expired; they did a search, it comes back to no one, that's what they said)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 09:11 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,407,826 times
The police can't do very much if the vehicle is parked on private property. They didn't make those rules. If I had been there, I would have had the owner put the vehicle in neutral, and pushed it across the street. If you are unhappy with their service, call them back out and have a supervisor respond. Good luck.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:44 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,795,543 times
I agree. I would be at their door asking for help to move it out of the yard. A long time ago a stolen car crashed in my yard and went through the whole nonsense with the police. After sitting there for a week I finally got fed up and picked it up with the bobcat and placed it in the street. It was moved the next day and I never heard anything else about it. Nobody ever paid for my damaged fence or the window broken out of my home by the tree the car hit. This is why I always put up a fence or other barrier to aviod this problem. My current fence includes a guard rail so if it happens again the car will not get as far.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:33 AM

62 posts, read 287,474 times
thanks - if I had known who owned the car when I saw it in my yard, I'd have gone to their home & knocked.
I had no idea who's car it was until after I called the police.

I'm not interested in reporting a policeperson , they were doing their job, I was just unclear & asking for clarification on the process.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:21 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,188,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats_pawn View Post
thanks - if I had known who owned the car when I saw it in my yard, I'd have gone to their home & knocked.
I had no idea who's car it was until after I called the police.

I'm not interested in reporting a policeperson , they were doing their job, I was just unclear & asking for clarification on the process.
Place a For Sale sign on the vehicle and see what happens...

Old 12-05-2008, 03:24 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,536,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Place a For Sale sign on the vehicle and see what happens...

not very nice but...bwahahahahahahaha...funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami