Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best place to do groceries in South Florida?
Publix 17 73.91%
Aldi 6 26.09%
Fresco y Más 0 0%
Wal-Mart 0 0%
Sedano's 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 09:39 PM

47 posts, read 56,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Fan 79 View Post
Former South Floridian here. IMO, Florida residents are getting hosed on grocery prices because of lack of competition. When I return to visit family I'm shocked at the high prices I see at grocery stores, especially near-monopoly Publix. BTW, where's Winn Dixie on the OP's list? In my new neighborhood in Eastern Washington I've got the following high quality grocery stores within a 15 minute drive of my house:

Safeway
Trader Joes
Albertsons
Super 1
Rosauers
Fred Meyer
Target
Walmart
Costco

Our food budget is significantly lower than when we lived in Miami and we can actually find a parking spot at Trader Joes.
Wegmans is still the best supermarket anywhere and they will be in Florida soon enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 01:19 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPats6SB View Post
Wegmans is still the best supermarket anywhere and they will be in Florida soon enough.
This is the Miami forum.

Publix is basically a real estate company that happens to sell groceries.

Real estate is very expensive in Miami.

One store here and there might be cute, but does Wegmans have the kind of start-up capital to compete with Publix block-by-block in Miami soon enough?

Just askin'.

Old 01-17-2021, 07:36 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Publix and for bulk I liked BJ's

Old 01-18-2021, 07:27 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I'm with you. The lack of grocery stores in Florida is a disgrace. Aldi's is a small store not what I would call a major grocer. Publix controls groceries in this state, with outrageous costs. No one and I mean no one should only have a choice of just Publix and Walmart, and that's what you get in many areas of Florida. It's all I have in Ocala. It makes no sense in a state of 22 million and god knows how many snowbirds and visitors, and there is nothing but Publix and Walmart for many of us. Yet in Oregon and Washington with a fraction of the population that Florida has. Yet people there have all those choices in grocers. I'll add another grocer to your list that is in much of the Northwest. QFC and Winco.
Ocala you say?

Let's see. All of these in the list are comprehensive "major" grocers and not just small specialty markets. All in Ocala.

Publix
Aldi (I disagree with your assessment of Aldi)
Key Food
Walmart
Target
Harveys
Sams Club
Save A Lot
Earth Fare
Winn-Dixie

And countless local produce, ethnic, farmers, and meat markets.

Have you ever bothered to actually look?

You have tons of options and competition. Quite a lot of interesting looking stores, too.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:10 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Ocala you say?

Let's see. All of these in the list are comprehensive "major" grocers and not just small specialty markets. All in Ocala.

Publix
Key Food
Walmart
Target
Harveys
Sams Club
Save A Lot
Earth Fare
Winn-Dixie

You have tons of options and competition. Quite a lot of interesting looking stores, too.
Winn Dixie closed, They were 2 miles away. There is no Harvey's,. Really how many people want to shop at a Save A Lot. Most Diabetics would find little there for their needs. Earth Fare is 16 miles away. There is 1 Target in Ocala it is also 16 miles away. Sams club is Walmart. As I mentioned I have Publix and I have Walmart near me and that's it.

Your definition of major grocers and mine are quite different save a lot is definitely not a place i would find what I need. Aldi is not much better. So for me if I want to shop within an 8 mile range. For me it's Walmart and it's Publix. Publix is over my budget so it's Walmart

Old 01-18-2021, 08:15 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Winn Dixie closed, They were 2 miles away. There is no Harvey's,. Really how many people want to shop at a Save A Lot. Most Diabetics would find little there for their needs. Earth Fare is 16 miles away. There is 1 Target in Ocala it is also 16 miles away. Sams club is Walmart. As I mentioned I have Publix and I have Walmart near me and that's it.

Your definition of major grocers and mine are quite different save a lot is definitely not a place i would find what I need. Aldi is not much better. So for me if I want to shop within an 8 mile range. For me it's Walmart and it's Publix. Publix is over my budget so it's Walmart

Sure there is a Harveys:

https://www.harveyssupermarkets.com/...75&referby=_sd

Sure there is a Winn Dixie:

https://www.winndixie.com/storedetai...75&referby=_sd

So your complaint is that you are located in the sticks outside of Ocala and think driving 15 minutes is much too far, and that they should build several major grocery stores within your tiny little subdivision? Because there is all sorts of grocery stores in Ocala, as I pointed out. Lots and lots of them. You are wrong about it. Just admit it. Not exactly hard to prove this by typing "grocery in Ocala" in to Google.

Don't want to shop at Save A Lot? Sure. Go to Harveys, Winn Dixie, Earth Fare, Sams, Target, Walmart, Key Food, etc. Key Food looks pretty cool, actually.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:57 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Ocala you say?

Publix
Key Food
Walmart
Target
Harveys
Sams Club
Save A Lot
Earth Fare
Winn-Dixie

Department stores with grocery items: Target
Hypermarket: Walmart Supercenter
Limited assortment/discount grocery: Aldi, Save-a-Lot
Specialty organic/gourmet grocery: Earth Fare
Supermarket: Harvey's Supermarket, Key Food, Publix, Walmart Neighborhood Market, Winn-Dixie
Wholesale club: Sam's Club

Old 01-19-2021, 06:09 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,695,520 times
90% of our grocery bill is allocated to ALDI...The rest to others within 2 mls from home..Publix Pharmacy gets all our Rx's but maybe just 1% of the grocery side.

Greetings.

Old 01-19-2021, 11:52 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
I'm with you. The lack of grocery stores in Florida is a disgrace. Aldi's is a small store not what I would call a major grocer. Publix controls groceries in this state, with outrageous costs. No one and I mean no one should only have a choice of just Publix and Walmart, and that's what you get in many areas of Florida. It's all I have in Ocala. It makes no sense in a state of 22 million and god knows how many snowbirds and visitors, and there is nothing but Publix and Walmart for many of us. Yet in Oregon and Washington with a fraction of the population that Florida has. Yet people there have all those choices in grocers. I'll add another grocer to your list that is in much of the Northwest. QFC and Winco.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Fan 79 View Post
Former South Floridian here. IMO, Florida residents are getting hosed on grocery prices because of lack of competition. When I return to visit family I'm shocked at the high prices I see at grocery stores, especially near-monopoly Publix. BTW, where's Winn Dixie on the OP's list? In my new neighborhood in Eastern Washington I've got the following high quality grocery stores within a 15 minute drive of my house:

Safeway
Trader Joes
Albertsons
Super 1
Rosauers
Fred Meyer
Target
Walmart
Costco

Our food budget is significantly lower than when we lived in Miami and we can actually find a parking spot at Trader Joes.
But see none of us care about those grocery stores in the northeast.

You still have to live in the northeast. And no, we also don't care about Wegmans.

To the OP, you left of Milams in Miami.

Old 01-30-2021, 06:29 PM

253 posts, read 434,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
90% of our grocery bill is allocated to ALDI...The rest to others within 2 mls from home..Publix Pharmacy gets all our Rx's but maybe just 1% of the grocery side.

Greetings.
That's where I am. Aldi dominates this category, especially given the Moser Roth dark chocolate which wipes out anything offered by Publix.

The Winn-Dixie at Bird and SW 112th Avenue is second call for me, since it's wonderfully spacious and clean by Winn-Dixie standards plus it still has self-checkout.

Publix is relegated to an occasional Buy One Get One. But after today's news regarding the company it may be dismissed as nothing but a drive-by middle finger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami