Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2018, 08:02 PM

17 posts, read 43,654 times

Advertisements

Hi there!
I am moving from Fort Lauderdale to Miami in about 1.5 months and I am torn between renting a condo privately or renting from an apartment complex. With the condos, they typically want so much money up-front (1st, last, security deposit of same amount). With an apartment complex, the move in costs are typically much less. I have found some beautiful apartments and beautiful condos. I am just not sure what the pro's / con's are between the two (other than all the $ up front - con). Right now, I am paying about $2200 - $2300 all in (rent + utilities) which is what I'm looking for in Miami 1bd/1ba. Has anyone rented both? What did you like / dislike about one or the other?

Also, any advice on the traffic? I am looking in both Brickell and Edgewater and would like to be close to 95 since I will still be working up North. I can work my schedule around rush hour but would still like to have easy access to the highway. My sister lives in Brickell and the other sister in Coral Gables. However, I only visit on the weekends and haven't really experienced the true rush hour traffic. Company expenses tolls / express lanes. Would living in Edgewater save a lot of commute time? I would prefer to live in Brickell but if the traffic is a nightmare between those extra few exits, I would like to save myself from ripping all of my hair out If it's not that bad, I wouldn't mind.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 08:41 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,875,219 times
My opinion; I have lived in many different apartments/condos over the years, and if there is a choice, I will never, never, never live in a managed complex again, hate them with a passion. I rent condos from a private party only (but own now). Yea, you can get some idiot owner, but that probability is nothing close to the idiocy managed complexes bring, and at your price range, I doubt the owner is going to be some slum lord type character. With an owner, you skip all the corporate BS that comes with managed complexes.

Traffic difference is trivial between Edgewater and Brickell, so you might as well live in Brickell if that is where you want to. I actually find it easier to access 95 south of the river than north of it, maybe it is just a perception thing.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:40 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,370,221 times
If you don't want so much traffic/congestion, then Edgewater may be a bit better.

For commute, you'll save a little bit by being near the 195 causeway to get to 95.

To your question, I would never rent in an apt building either.

Let's address that 'low cost to move in' theory - Yes, you pay 3 months to rent from a private owner, but its all your money. (its really 4 months, but a good agent will get that Building Deposit paid off by the owner on your behalf before move-in)
With an apt complex/high rise, its move-in fees, admin fees, and then if you have a pet, it gets even worse.

Yes, I'm a real estate broker but APT complexes pay agents (often better) and I still tell my clients to avoid them like the plague. That new one downtown by Whole Foods? They let people AirBnB on certain floors, creating a total mess.
Bay Parc Towers on 17th? They can put lipstick on a pig all they want (Uber Pick up spots, on site dry cleaning, smart home system, etc). Its still an old crappy building with bad management. They will come in your unit when they want (an owner would never do that to you), and you pay FEES for everything! "Common area utility fee"? That's a new one..oh, and you pay water!! All condo high rises give you free water.

So a $2000 1 bedroom at Bay Parc vs a $2200 Brickell House is really $2400 Bay Parc because you pay $75-$100/mo for parking, $50 common area B.S., $50/mo for water, $100/mo for cable/internet (free at these new nice high-rises). And then if you have a pet, its like $40-$60/mo PER PET even for a Cat! Condo buildings don't charge a 'pet rent', just a deposit.

That's my take, do with it as you please. But when my clients ask, that's what I tell them. I still show them the new high rise APT buildings and they often go with a condo building & private owner for their rental.

Best of luck, hope that helps you!!!

Old 08-23-2018, 07:39 AM

17 posts, read 43,654 times
Awesome, thank you so much! What do you think of Brickell House? It looks nice and is within my budget but is there anything really that special about it? I am also looking at Brickell Heights and The Icon. In your opinion, what do you think is better? Or what condo buildings are the best - open to other suggestions!

THanks again

Old 08-23-2018, 10:54 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,875,219 times
Brickell House is great if you do not mind off site parking, and like hearing everyone's lives in the other apartments, microwave beeping, toilet flushing, sex, and all, lol.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:44 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,370,221 times
B House is great for Non-car owners. You're getting a big discount because they screwed up the parking garage.

Brickell Heights is valet only mostly, so if you don't mind that, its a great way to go. Nice amenities, only a year old.

Icon is re-doing the pool, its very crowded but if you like that 'see and be seen' atmosphere, then go for it. Very fun place to live.

The Bond is excellent but a little pricier. Very classy and much quieter and only a year old as well.

Reach / Rise, probably out of your range, but again, very nice and classy (connected to CityCentre)

Plaza Brickell is a good building. 2 towers, share a big pool area, tons of rental options and some units have great water views in the distance.

You're heading into a slower rental season too so you should get some good deals and not worry about everyone snatching up your first & second choice like June/July or Feb/Mar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami