Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 05:41 PM

653 posts, read 817,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immerse View Post
What if you live and work in a place like Bal Harbor, Coconut Grove, good part of Gables, Miami Shores. You get a good job, dont waste in traffic more than 15-20 minutes one way, go out to interesting constantly popping restaurants, do water sports, swim, play soccer, gardening in your back yard with palm trees, have a significant other you love and is fun to be with? Add an occasional boat, going to the beach, great connection to Carribean and South America, close to east coast of the US and Europe. There is no better place to enjoy yourself in America once you set yourself up.

You still do get exposure to third world Haitians/Carribean/South American drivers yes, I will give you that. If it wasn't for that i would call miami perfect
I'd you make a really good salary, like 6 figures for example, then Miami is a nice place to live. Still a **** hole though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 07:51 PM

21 posts, read 21,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLD102 View Post
What do you say should I give it a try and how are my chances to build up a new live in Miami?
Definitely give it a try. The area near Miami can be more affordable than a lot of other places.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:59 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,360,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick5575 View Post
Still a **** hole though
Really? What part?

Places like the Gables, Grove, Miami Beach, Key Biscayne, Brickell, Golden Beach, Aventura, Pinecrest, etc. are far from a **** hole. Actually are some of the best places to live in the entire U.S. when factoring in cost of living.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:25 PM

653 posts, read 817,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Really? What part?

Places like the Gables, Grove, Miami Beach, Key Biscayne, Brickell, Golden Beach, Aventura, Pinecrest, etc. are far from a **** hole. Actually are some of the best places to live in the entire U.S. when factoring in cost of living.

money, money, money, money, money, money ...................thats what all those places have in common. IF you dont have that kind of money, you are not living in those places. The rest is pure ****

Old 10-13-2017, 06:33 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,360,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick5575 View Post
money, money, money, money, money, money ...................thats what all those places have in common. IF you dont have that kind of money, you are not living in those places. The rest is pure ****
Depends on what you consider 'money money money money'.

$70k-$80k/year single person or married couple will do just fine in Aventura, Miami Beach, etc.

If you're only making $25k-$35k/year, single, then yeah, you're miserable. You're also living in one of the most expensive cities in the country....would you live in NYC/LA/Boston making that kind of money?

4% unemployment in this country.... if you aren't making a minimum of $50k/year here, you're in the wrong job/career. That's a little less than a $1k/week. My breakfast servers in Doral made about $60k/year and took 1-2 months off in the summertime. Lobby bartenders at the Eden Roc made about $75k-$85k and took time off in the summer. Good servers at Hakkasan/Scarpetta make $100k. Decent Realtors make $60k+. Then there is tons of medical industry jobs, finance, attorneys, etc. I could go on and on.

If you're making $100k/year+, you are really enjoying all that Miami has to offer (Boats, sporting events, beach, brunches, new restaurants, special events like Sobe WFF, Boatshow, Basel, etc.). Where as if you are making $100k/year in Boston/NYC/San Fran, you are doing just a little more than 'getting by'.

That's why so many North Easterners love coming to Miami, buy 2nd homes here, retire here, etc.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:15 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times
Quote:

$70k-$80k/year single person or married couple will do just fine in Aventura, Miami Beach, etc.

If you're only making $25k-$35k/year, single, then yeah, you're miserable. You're also living in one of the most expensive cities in the country....would you live in NYC/LA/Boston making that kind of money?

4% unemployment in this country.... if you aren't making a minimum of $50k/year here, you're in the wrong job/career. That's a little less than a $1k/week. My breakfast servers in Doral made about $60k/year and took 1-2 months off in the summertime. Lobby bartenders at the Eden Roc made about $75k-$85k and took time off in the summer. Good servers at Hakkasan/Scarpetta make $100k. Decent Realtors make $60k+. Then there is tons of medical industry jobs, finance, attorneys, etc. I could go on and on.

If you're making $100k/year+, you are really enjoying all that Miami has to offer (Boats, sporting events, beach, brunches, new restaurants, special events like Sobe WFF, Boatshow, Basel, etc.). Where as if you are making $100k/year in Boston/NYC/San Fran, you are doing just a little more than 'getting by'.

That's why so many North Easterners love coming to Miami, buy 2nd homes here, retire here, etc.
We love Miami because it has a lot of beautiful women, nice party scene, cool areas like Wywood Art Wall, Design District, South Beach/Brickell is nice area too, it has laid back vibes

Old 10-17-2017, 11:08 PM

984 posts, read 4,319,775 times
Quote:

I agree for the most part, but on average people don't make that much. Approximately $50k is the County average household income, which is not as bad as it was some years ago, and it's decent, but still not really good especially with the crazy rental prices and how expensive (overall) it is here. But people don't need to live in places like the Beach or Brickell to live well, there's plenty of good and even great neighborhoods in the suburbs (Country Walk, Palmetto Bay, Cutler Bay, Miami Lakes, etc), and you still can enjoy the City.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:18 AM

52 posts, read 52,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
We love Miami because it has a lot of beautiful women, nice party scene, cool areas like Wywood Art Wall, Design District, South Beach/Brickell is nice area too, it has laid back vibes
It is time for you to get off of that cloud back to reality. if you have no money in your pocket or look like Brad Pitt when he was 30 you can erase beautiful, sexy ladies from the pros list.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:04 AM

8 posts, read 7,226 times
Miami ist schoen aber schwierig. Die Lebensunterhaltskosten sind hoch und es gibt wenige gut bezahlte Jobs. Wenn du die Moeglichkeit hast selbst etwas auf die Beine zu stellen, hast du gute Chancen. Es ist nicht einfach, aber durchaus machbar und mit ein bisschen Glueck, kannst du hier sehr schoen Leben. Der Grossteil der Deutschen geht ja and die Westkueste Floridas (z.B. Cape Coral). Dort ist es zwar guenstiger, aber auch sehr laendlich. Fuer mich kaeme das nicht in Frage, aber es ist definitiv eine Erwaegung wert.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:40 AM

21 posts, read 20,450 times
Hi there, I was born and raised in Germany and have been living in the US for over 20 years. I live just north of Miami. I think you will find a job, whether you put your German langauge skills to use or not. The question is whether you will be able to make enough of a living to pay your bills. Rentals are generally less expensive in Germany than here. Also, visiting as a tourist and living here are two different things. I realize you used to live in Alabama previously, but Miami is very different. If you can, I would suggest coming for an extended visit and talk to as many people as you can while you're here. Maybe schedule a few job interviews at that time. Another user menitoned Indeed.com as a source for job searches. I second that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami