Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 05:37 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,838,336 times

Advertisements

I don't know, I see a fat one pointing to Miami

https://www.forbes.com/sites/karsten.../#1fda2b2a13c7

Attached Thumbnails
Sales Dramatically Slowing Down In Miami’s Luxury Real Estate Market-map-1-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 05:44 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,669,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
There is literally negative domestic demand for Miami, either to live in or work. Population figures year after year show continuing domestic migration out and white flight out either with the oldsters dying or the holdouts retiring cashing out their homes and moving to Central/North Florida or out of state.

White population in Miami-Dade is 13% and dropping. The place to be now for people with money from the Northeast is Palm Beach/Sarasota/Naples/Flagler Beach/The Villages. The only thing keeping the Miami-Dade population growing is extreme immigration and foreign investment AKA money laundering from South America. And this is GETTING MUCH MORE DIFFICULT SINCE LAST YEAR.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/14/u...tate.html?_r=0
Bingo! all MDC attracts are foreigners from South America, I'm pretty sure you've noticed that the city and county have been getting more Hispanic. People who've left MDC either go to Broward, Central Florida, out of state or even leave the country. Many millennials don't even want to be in Florida either, so yeah that whole state will just keep getting older and older.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:01 PM

307 posts, read 331,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Bingo! all MDC attracts are foreigners from South America, I'm pretty sure you've noticed that the city and county have been getting more Hispanic. People who've left MDC either go to Broward, Central Florida, out of state or even leave the country. Many millennials don't even want to be in Florida either, so yeah that whole state will just keep getting older and older.

These websites say Miami and Orlando rank number one and number two at attracting millennials.

https://therealdeal.com/miami/2017/0...nnials-report/

https://stephaniecarles.com/top-citi...ndo-no-2-no-3/

Miami's Millennial Migration's Impact on Real Estate

Old 04-15-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
Attracting, but most move out because of how expensive it is and how crappy the job market is. Most millennials I know leave after 2-3 years. Miami is the most expensive city for millennials, and the ones who stay are always living at home with parents.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:10 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,032,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post

How dare you introduce facts into the discussion!

Quote:
Most millennials I know leave after 2-3 years....
LOL

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:51 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,571,094 times
Curious--what was your major, degree(s), and line of work or career path you wish to pursue?....a medical or law degree can almost virtually guarantee you employment in most cities. OTOH, Denver and San Diego are lovely cities but probably not the optimal places to be for pursuing an investment banking or brand management career.

For some, Miami is a lifestyle choice with some foregoing wealth building to live here. Others are able to forge very successful careers here while some/many relocate here after they have built wealth elsewhere. No different than college choice--who wouldn't want to go to a warm weather party school with hot coeds such as FSU, SDSU and ASU?--however, there is an opportunity cost, which is why others choose to go to Duke, Northwestern, or Dartmouth (assuming one can get admitted to these higher ranked universities) with the bigger picture in mind (postponing immediate for future gratification).

Quote:
Attracting, but most move out because of how expensive it is and how crappy the job market is. Most millennials I know leave after 2-3 years. Miami is the most expensive city for millennials, and the ones who stay are always living at home with parents.

Last edited by elchevere; 04-16-2017 at 08:05 AM..

Old 04-16-2017, 08:57 AM

[quote=elchevere;47853784]Curious--what was your major, degree(s), and line of work or career path you wish to pursue?....a medical or law degree can almost virtually guarantee you employment in most cities. OTOH, Denver and San Diego are lovely cities but probably not the optimal places to be for pursuing an investment banking or brand management career.

For some, Miami is a lifestyle choice with some foregoing wealth building to live here. Others are able to forge very successful careers here while some/many relocate here after they have built wealth elsewhere. No different than college choice--who wouldn't want to go to a warm weather party school with hot coeds such as FSU, SDSU and ASU?--however, there is an opportunity cost, which is why others choose to go to Duke, Northwestern, or Dartmouth (assuming one can get admitted to these higher ranked universities) with the bigger picture in mind (postponing immediate for future gratification).[/QUOTE

Did my schooling in Montreal since college is free (and not a joke like MDC and Uni is $1,500 a semester for me). For College, I graduated with international business, Uni major in Poli. Sci, minor in Urban Planning, will be finishing soon. Ironically, I met many people at my school from Miami who moved here because of better medical opportunities since this city is a major hub for biomedical and everything medical PLUS they get paid nearly triple here than Miami. You mention parties and well, where I'm at now is party 24/7, winter, summer, rain, etc... It's non-stop, and the women here well... most beautiful I've ever seen. I don't think you can blame me for moving to a city with higher quality of life, higher pay, McGill is a top 20 school, more diverse etc...

Old 04-16-2017, 09:47 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,571,094 times
If you like Montreal so much, why are you still dwelling on Miami?...if you want an even better city for what you are looking for, why not see if you can cut it in NYC.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:05 AM

33 posts, read 31,979 times
Quote:
I don't think you can blame me for moving to a city with higher quality of life, higher pay, McGill is a top 20 school, more diverse etc...
I don't think anyone is 'blaming' you, that's all in your head. However, you seem to be on some kind of mission to convince everyone Montreal is better.

I won't speak for everyone, but I wholeheartedly disagree that Montreal is a better city than Miami.

More diverse though? 20% of Montreal is foreign born compared to 51% of Miami-Dade.

While a good chunk of Miami-Dade's foreign population comes from Latin America and the Caribbean, Europeans make a significant portion of that number.

I don't think you can confidently say Montreal is more diverse than Miami.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticPalm View Post
I don't think anyone is 'blaming' you, that's all in your head. However, you seem to be on some kind of mission to convince everyone Montreal is better.

I won't speak for everyone, but I wholeheartedly disagree that Montreal is a better city than Miami.

More diverse though? 20% of Montreal is foreign born compared to 51% of Miami-Dade.

While a good chunk of Miami-Dade's foreign population comes from Latin America and the Caribbean, Europeans make a significant portion of that number.

I don't think you can confidently say Montreal is more diverse than Miami.

Montreal is actually 33% as of 2011, you're comparing the CMA with a county using 20%. If you go on a city by city case, we're 7th in N.A. Miami may have 51% foreign born, but half are Cuban, while MTL has 200+ ethnic cultures, you have multiple neighbourhoods with 100-200 cultures and 100+ languages here, It's like the U.N.

https://www.zillow.com/research/miam...raphics-10285/

Look at that, 93% of immigrants come from Latin America or the Caribbean, that's a huge disproportion. Sure it's diverse, but not the most diverse.

Also to the poster who commented above, I had an opportunity to go to NYC, It's for sure one of my dream cities and I was close to going there before McGill accepted me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami