Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 09:54 AM

626 posts, read 1,240,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariano53 View Post
Gosh
What wonderfull memories.
Do you all remember the mini-golf and driving range on SW 8th Street and 85th avenue? Now it is a shopping center.
-Remember Colony golf on US-1 and 136th street. You played night time golf. Same thing.
-Fountainebleau Golf course - no more either.
-I went to LaSalle High (1969-1971)and took the bus to downtown Miami and walk through Burdines or went to a chinesse restaurant on sw 1st street and 1st avenue ( Canton).
-The Woolworth store.
-I went to Miramar Elementary School on NE 2nd avenue and 19th street. No more. Gone. Synagogue still there. I will never forget-Nov. 22, 1963- returning back to school at 1:00 pm from playing soccer (6th grade) and just as we were going to cross the street a teacher came out the front doors and screeming to my coach-the President is dead, over and over again. Will never forget that day.Gosh I used to walk by myself from 19th street to 25th street where I lived with no problems-(age 8 through 11 years old) Today I won't let my son (11 years old) ought of my sight, let alone walk by himself for one block and I live in great neighboorhood.
-Remember the cafeteria on 19th street and Biscayne Blvd? and the Piano store on the opposite corner? I used to sell newspapers of that corner at 10 cents.
-Bacardi is still on Biscayne and 22nd street on the west side-will be consider a historic site. However, headquarters just moved to Coral Gables.
-I do miss Lums that was on 12th avenue just before the bridge, and I used to sit and watch the police train their dogs on an open field on NW 12 Avenue and 10th street and eat my hot dogs at the old City of Miami Police station. Now it is a Winn Dixie I believe or a Publix.
-I use to grab my fishing rod, go with friends, grab a bus to the entrance of Key Biscayne and fish from the first bridge after the toll booth.
Finally, submarine races - and park off to the side of the Rickenbacker Causeway looking at the skyline and water right after a movie or a party.

Good post.

If my memory does not fail me, the Fountainebleau Golf course was bought out at the start of the construction frenzy that took S. Florida by storm. It now sits...I'm told...vacant and unused.

I ,along with my schoolmates from Shenandoah Jr. High (Middle School nowdays), used to ride our bikes (bicycles) and go to La Salle and play football in the field they have there on Saturdays...afterwards, I would walk over to Mercy Hospital and visit my mother since she used to work there.

I also used to walk from home (17th Ave. SW and 9th st.) to school, Shenandoah ( 19th. Ave. and 19th. st SW).

Reading this, it brought so many good memories.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 12:28 AM

17 posts, read 53,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I thought it would be memorable to name well-known people and places that were a part of Miami at one time but are no longer here. Who are some of your favorite well-known celebrities who have died and what are your favorite places or establishments that have been demolished?
"The Great One"-Jackie Gleason-a figure who was "MR. MIAMI"! 9 OUT OF 10 OLD TIMERS WILL YELL YOU THAT THE DRIVE IN JIMMY'S HURRICANE, AT BIRD ROAD AND DOUGLAS, WAS THE BEST KNOWN PLACE IN THE SOUTHWEST; HONORABLE MENTION TO MANY OF THE OLD DELICATESSENS LIKE THE FAMOUS ON THE BAECH, AND MARSHAL MAJORS IN SOUTH MIAMI ( WHICH WAS LOCATED NEAR WHERE THE OLD SAM& CARL;S DELI USED TO EXIST-EPIC POTATO SALAD-MMMMMMI CAN STILL SALIVATE REMEMBERING THE TASTE!)

Old 10-15-2010, 06:39 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,306 times
Alex Woods- medical examiner from CSI: Miami. She was like the mother of the show. Although she is a recurring character, now a doctor, she is not a's present as she used to be.

Jesse Cardoza - the former California officer turned Miami- Dade officer. Died 2 episodes ago. He had swag

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Old 10-25-2010, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 5,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngmob View Post
I almost got run over by that tram.
I remember Lionel Play World,
Luria's
Jefferson's at Midway mall
zayre's (that old indoor mall on coral way just closed down)
tropicare flea market (dad used to take me every sunday- afterward, at the food store next to it I'd get an icee & trading cards!)
Best (on us1)
Don Carter (playing street fighter at 12 midnight- loved that place)
bakery center (lots of dates there)
Marsbar in town & country was the best!
kitchen club!
the industry

what else????
How about lindsey lumber
westward ho
dapper dans(icecream parlor)
pantry pride
tropicare drive in
coralway drive in
the haunte house at tropical park
I grew up in westchester right by everglades elementary sw79th av and 14 terr

Last edited by Pattimac; 10-25-2010 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: left something out

Old 01-05-2011, 06:21 AM

4 posts, read 32,019 times
Just to keep things going and to remember 60's-70's, please let us know where you reside. I am still in Miami, but it would be interesting to know how many people move out due to marriage, business, went away to college somewhere and stayed there to make that their new home.
Back in 1961 I used to go with my cousins to a mini car race- (forgot name of those gas power cars) around NW 140th street and 27 ave if memory serves me right.
I remember the signs in downtown Miami at the stores- "se habla espanol"- lol.
I remember Wayne Farris the TV anchor for channel 7 News, which by the way lives in Naples-Ft. Myers area and still kicking. God bless him. Great Anchorman.
Ralph Renick-wow another great anchorman. Miss these guys. They knew how to report the news.
No frills no joking around, straight forward news that U believe in.
I also remember Manolo Reyes- Channel 23 spanish news station.
Homes had front porches. Large front porches with swing seat attached to ceiling. Lots of ceiling fans.
Use to watch people walkway by and say hello.
I remember a family run drug store that had an area for people to eat lunch. This is where I got introduced to meat loaf, mash potatoes and green peas.( Ne 2nd avenue and 24th Street.)
I work at the Kentucky Fried Chicken on Biscayne Blvd. and NE 26th street.
During the summer would take a bus to 79th street and Biscayne to the Summer Movies at age 14.
Playing Baseball at Curtis parkway.
Playing football in an open lot by Cedars Hospital or working at Convinient Store on NW 20th street and 14th ave.
Not so fond memories-being thrown out of a bus along with my mom ( age 8) because Mom refuse to accept a black woman getting up to give us her seat. Bus driver told us to get out. First time I saw what racism was all about.
Citrus Grove Jr. High School
Hurricane Donna and Cleo.
Miami Edison Jr. High - and Senior High -sister graduated from there in 1964.
Going to Orange bowl to watch Miami High play either Coral Gables or Edison High School football. Over 50,000 people would show up to watch the games.
And I was also there in the nose bleed North section of the Orange Bowl to witness the Gator Flop.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:00 AM

747 posts, read 2,105,772 times
Great memories Mariano. I lived in SoFla (Kendall, the Keys, Weston) from 1961-2008, so I had a lot of similar experiences, just further South. I learned how to drive on Kendall Drive. My Grandfather drove me to Krome and Kendall, pulled over, then let me drive from there. All the way down Kendall to 137 Ave, I took a right, and drove to the end. Dont remember seeing many other cars.
I moved to Charlotte in 2008 to give my 10 yr old Daughter a chance to grow up in a safe, clean, and wholesome area. She plays outside on the street like I used to, she walks her dog down the street, goes snow sledding in our backyard. I only miss 2 things about Miami: Popeyes chicken (we have Bojangles), and Publix (one is opening on the SC/NC border next year, yea!).

Old 01-05-2011, 10:12 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,829 times
Night Owl and Big Wilson on Channel 6?

Old 01-16-2011, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 8,086 times
I'm from NY, but spent many childhood vacations at my grandparents' condo in Lauderdale Lakes... the venerable Cypress Chase. Circa 1985-86, my grandfather took me to a video game and go-kart place called Pizza Cabaret. If memory serves, the route was Oakland Park Blvd. to 441 south. Pizza Cabaret was between a 5 and 10 mile drive once we were on 441, and was set back on the right-hand side of the road. The place looked like a castle from the outside. I miss those days... playing Punch-Out, Super Punch-Out, Galaga, the occasional Dragon's Lair...

Does anyone else remember this place?

Old 01-17-2011, 07:44 AM

5 posts, read 11,843 times
The proprty where the boys town bmx track was located is still empty. To my surprize nothing has been built.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:55 AM

4 posts, read 32,019 times
Mike
I can't blame you for leaving. I don't let my 12 year old son go from my house to the corner, and I live in a great neighboorhood.
But my roots are here. My bussiness as a Golf Course architect and Landscape Architect is here. Hard to pick up and go.
But I had the pleasure in living in Baton Rouge where I graduated from LSU. The deep south hospitality was unbelievable. I lived among red necks, and even though I am cuban they treated me like I was one of their own. Of course I had to earn that trust.
But Miami is still a good urban city. Compare to LA,Boston, New York or Chicago, for a large metropolitan area it is still a place to live. Can not compare yet to those cites in terms of art or culture.
Still needs to grow. I see it as a teenage 16 year old that needs to mature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami