Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 08:44 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
what about monorail?
I've sold monorails to Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook, and by gum I've put them on the map!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 09:35 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post

I'm glad to see others have taken interest in the PRT system. When I've posted about it before it was mostly a dud. LOL!

I personally think it's fabulous, especially in an application like Miami Beach where it's not possible to really cruise at 60, or 70 MPH like a car or heavy rail would in other areas. A passenger vehicle is pretty much going to be going to same speed, probably a little faster, but it subject to lights, stop signs, traffic, etc.
I think I need to try to make some calls see if I can get in contact with some of the "higher ups" of Miami-Dade and get a meeting and bring you along.

I am being semi-serious though, I think it's a fantastic idea! the cost of the few miles of metrorail to MIA was staggering to me, PRT seems like a great way to go and something those fools in Miami Beach City Hall might actually somewhat consider.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:51 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
I think it would depend on the cost.

I personally feel that something should either A) tie into the current system (like Metromover) or B) be so cheap that it justifies the extra transfers people have to make (PRT)
I agree it should tie into the existing system. That was one of my pet peeves with the proposed Miami Street car, the city was trying to champion. Why not just expand metromover or metrorail, instead of adding yet another mode of transport.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:55 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I think I need to try to make some calls see if I can get in contact with some of the "higher ups" of Miami-Dade and get a meeting and bring you along.

I am being semi-serious though, I think it's a fantastic idea! the cost of the few miles of metrorail to MIA was staggering to me, PRT seems like a great way to go and something those fools in Miami Beach City Hall might actually somewhat consider.
I do need a campaign manager! LOL!

Metrorail is a great system, but yes, the costs are overwhelming, especially with no money from the Fed's. I think they would consider it. It doesn't have the same stigma some people associate with mass transit (dirty, crime ridden, etc.)

Now getting through the taxi union is another story. It only took what, 28 years to get Metrorail to the airport?! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I agree it should tie into the existing system. That was one of my pet peeves with the proposed Miami Street car, the city was trying to champion. Why not just expand metromover or metrorail, instead of adding yet another mode of transport.
I wasn't a fan of the street car. I think the project is dead, no? It was a terrible idea.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:39 AM

Coconut1 yes they killed the project, but it was more of a funding issue than anything.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:18 PM

Sometimes no funding is a blessing in disguise

Old 07-30-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I do need a campaign manager! LOL!

Metrorail is a great system, but yes, the costs are overwhelming, especially with no money from the Fed's. I think they would consider it. It doesn't have the same stigma some people associate with mass transit (dirty, crime ridden, etc.)

Now getting through the taxi union is another story. It only took what, 28 years to get Metrorail to the airport?! LOL!

I wasn't a fan of the street car. I think the project is dead, no? It was a terrible idea.
I couldn't care less about the taxis. There are a lot of cabs in NYC and DC and London and Barcelona too. And those places have great transit. Screw the cabs is what I say. This is the future of the city, a city that desperately needs improved mass transit.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I couldn't care less about the taxis. There are a lot of cabs in NYC and DC and London and Barcelona too. And those places have great transit. Screw the cabs is what I say. This is the future of the city, a city that desperately needs improved mass transit.
Yes, but it's all about who is padding the pockets of elected 'leaders.'

Old 07-30-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Yes, but it's all about who is padding the pockets of elected 'leaders.'
Unfortunately that's true. We need someone in there that doesn't care about winning another election and doesn't owe anyone anything.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:53 AM

I think blaming the "taxi union" is a misplaced blame. It is more than likely people like that Braman, with all his car dealerships, has far more of a vested interest in making sure we remain a car-centric city than anyone else does. He was able to get one city official recalled and has threatened to do it to others. I am not saying it wasn't a good thing to get a bad city official kicked out, but this guy has the political and financial power to sway many things. Think about how ridiculous it is that they built that ball stadium in Little Havana. Especially when the person who owns a HUGE plot of land in downtown Miami offered to build the stadium on his own dime and the Marlins could lease it from him or buy it from him at the same cost of building it, at a future date. The city without even speaking with him stated "he wasn't serious" and didn't even try to get that deal done. If the park would have been downtown that would have meant great things for local businesses before and after games. It would have meant people taking the metromover to the games. Now, you HAVE To drive your car and from my understanding the trolley service sucks. There are one of two reasons things like this are happening. either our leadership is inept or there are hidden agendas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami