Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 07:34 AM

22 posts, read 37,354 times

Advertisements

So, looks like job will be in Doral, looking to live in Miami (pedestrian friendly)- nice area ? downtown? That is under $1350 for 2 bedroom (small space is fine)..kid friendly- good schools a must. Is it better to take job in Miramar or near Dadeland in order to live where I want and not have greater than a 45 min. traffic commute? Oh, and within 30 mins from beach..
I have done so much research and so many opinions and options out there
Relocating from Tampa BAy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 07:40 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,091,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccimarlena View Post
So, looks like job will be in Doral, looking to live in Miami (pedestrian friendly)- nice area ? downtown? That is under $1350 for 2 bedroom (small space is fine)..kid friendly- good schools a must. Is it better to take job in Miramar or near Dadeland in order to live where I want and not have greater than a 45 min. traffic commute? Oh, and within 30 mins from beach..
Relocating from Tampa BAy.

I would look in Pembroke Pines west of I-75 there are many nice communities and good schools and rents at that price range .. you are only 40 minutes north of Doral .. take I-75 South and then the Turnpike .... much better to live in Broward if you work in Doral .

Old 08-26-2011, 08:09 AM

Thanks! I don't particularly want to be in the suburbs..but I do hear Pembroke is a good area.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:19 PM

2,007 posts, read 3,335,659 times
Quote:
So many options? You have zero options. There is no place in South Florida that combines all of these criteria: cheap, pedestrian-friendly, kid-friendly, good schools. Absolutely none.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
So many options? You have zero options. There is no place in South Florida that combines all of these criteria: cheap, pedestrian-friendly, kid-friendly, good schools. Absolutely none.
Sighhhhhhhhh....love the positivity! So, you live or have lived in Miami? Do you have children? Just curious... What I meant by so many options is that there are alot of good areas in Miami Dade County when compared to Tampa due to it's size. Also, the fact that Fort Lauderdale is right there is another option- close enough to Mia. Mia is much more walkable than Tampa, schools in Hillsborough County suck, below Miami dade & Broward grade wise, elementary schools that is, and for a small 2 bedroom, paying under $1400 is affordable to me.

Everyone has their ideas of what is "good" and "bad"...etc.
If anyone has some helpful and positive advice, it would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-26-2011, 07:09 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,278,104 times
Quote:
Sighhhhhhhhh....love the positivity! So, you live or have lived in Miami? Do you have children? Just curious... What I meant by so many options is that there are alot of good areas in Miami Dade County when compared to Tampa due to it's size. Also, the fact that Fort Lauderdale is right there is another option- close enough to Mia. Mia is much more walkable than Tampa, schools in Hillsborough County suck, below Miami dade & Broward grade wise, elementary schools that is, and for a small 2 bedroom, paying under $1400 is affordable to me.

Everyone has their ideas of what is "good" and "bad"...etc.
If anyone has some helpful and positive advice, it would be greatly appreciated!
you ARE asking a tall order and positivity isnt typically readily available or common down here. cynicism rules the roost. id try your hand at fort lauderdale.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:28 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,814,939 times
Why do so many want to live in downtown? It is an overpriced dump with no redeeming qualities. Definately not family friendly. Suburbs are near where you want to work so why not live there? Only suburbs/rural make sense for raising kids. Not good to be near the crack supermarket or homeless people when raising children.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:47 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,231,941 times
Downtown is indeed overpriced. If they want to see those old buildings filled, they first have to humble down a little bit.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Why do so many want to live in downtown? It is an overpriced dump with no redeeming qualities. Definately not family friendly. Suburbs are near where you want to work so why not live there? Only suburbs/rural make sense for raising kids. Not good to be near the crack supermarket or homeless people when raising children.
Why Downtown...? Because I prefer to be in an area that is walkable..I have always lived in the burbs and if I am going to make the move to Miami I would like to try something different. Example: In reading many posts about Brickell, there were families that reside there with a great elementary school. Obviously there are good & bad areas downtown as with any big city.
I do not want to live in Doral..so just trying to figure out where the next best place is to live that fits my preferences.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:42 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,970,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Downtown is indeed overpriced. If they want to see those old buildings filled, they first have to humble down a little bit.

A five-year-old condo building is old, you need to get downtown more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami