Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 10:25 AM

261 posts, read 398,527 times

Advertisements

hi there, I am new here and have enjoyed reading all my replies and advice given so far, on another thread I made....- so thanks for that....and everyones help..

I am looking to buy a house in the palmetta area.. and wondered if anyone has any tips/ stories to tell and people to recommend etc for buying here? any help would be most gratefully received, regards sarah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 08:03 AM

415 posts, read 1,669,968 times
Palmetto Bay is a very nice area in southwest Miami-Dade. The big thing I would worry about is buying a house that is in a flood zone. If you do, then you will need to carry both hurricane insurance and flood insurance. Both are pretty expensive. I would make a point to bring this up to the Realtor you are dealing with.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:51 PM

ok thanks i will do, any more advice out there?

Old 02-14-2011, 06:11 AM

has no one bought at all in miami - who can offer any advice at all please? there must be someone out there?!!!

Old 02-14-2011, 06:50 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,278,394 times
I'm too scared to buy. i still see people leaving in my complex and have talked to coworkers who tell me it's the same. banks wont negotiate on price so owners are continuing to bail out and short sales are very rare. they say the vast majority of buyers right now are cash buyers. not people being financed which means not alot of people are buying because nobody down here seems to have that sort of money. at the same time the job market is tightening up. we're actually trying to slim down the stuff we have because my gf and i realize if either one of us lost our jobs we're not going to find another one in this economy. we want to stay and really have no other idea of where to go but we're trying to get things in order so if catastrophe happened we could go. i dont expect to leave but i always want to be prepared. i see more and more buildings and office spaces with for lease signs on them. i dont know about the rest of the country but the economy isnt getting better down here.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:05 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,518,720 times
I just spoke with someone that is a flipper and he said there are a bunch of short sales/foreclosures actually coming on the market.

As far as advice in Palmetto Bay, I would suggest looking at homes as far north in Palmetto Bay as possible, the further south you get, the more you can see homes are on low ground. If you look down some of the roads you can see how much the road dips. There is a ridge that runs along Cutler Bay (hence the original name Cutler Ridge), Palmetto Bay and up to Pinecrest. On the south end of the village you can see that some of the homes are built up on little hills and that is because of flooding potential.

Last edited by doggiebus; 02-14-2011 at 10:39 AM..

Old 02-15-2011, 01:20 PM

8 posts, read 21,646 times
Hi Sarah
Palmetto Bay is way south for my taste. It is a looooooonnng drive to get anywhere. Will you be commuting to a job or will you be retiring here? Have you lived in the area before? If not, I recommend renting for a while to see how you like the area before you commit to such a major purchase. good luck! regards, Cari

Old 02-15-2011, 01:30 PM

thanks 4 the advice, again. we will not be retiring, but husband will be working in doral....we have kids aged 11 and 13 so want palmetto area so they go to the best school in miami, thats the reason for picking this area......i have been saving fav homes for sale and have not looked for about a week and in this time they have disappeared of the website, so they have sold... so people are buying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami