Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 09:42 AM

564 posts, read 1,042,229 times

Advertisements

I've been to two Bahama Breezes, one in Daytona Beach and the other in Raleigh. Where on Kendall Drive is it? Was the Sundays building taken over and remade into anything? You are so right, there was nothing like going there on Sundays with the boats pulling up, listening to reggae music. Those were the days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 02:13 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,709 times
It's on Kendall and 122nd Ave.

There is nothing where Sundays was, not even the building.

Here is an article about some of what happened to it: Feds Seize Key Biscayne Eateries - tribunedigital-sunsentinel

And the co-owner posts on these two sites about the place:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...i_Florida.html

Sundays On the Bay Restrnt - CLOSED - Nightlife - 5420 Crandon Blvd, Key Biscayne, FL - Restaurant Reviews - Phone Number - Yelp

Old 07-16-2016, 01:06 AM

253 posts, read 434,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Gables was never "the" high school.....
Well, it certainly seemed that way to me, circa late '60s as Nick Kotys racked up state championships and mythical national titles.

Granted, I was a kid and perhaps overly influenced by football success and all the attention it drew. Gables seemed like a mini college program when I attended their games, particularly the Thanksgiving morning annual vs. Southwest at old Central Stadium. The school colors of crimson and grey seemed so classy and cool.

The Dolphins were a pathetic expansion team and the Canes were mediocre other than awesome Ted Hendricks. I came of age as a football fan with the Coral Gables Cavaliers the only source of local pride and overwhelming success.

I remember attending a Gables/Miami High game in the Orange Bowl with my dad, circa mid '60s. There must have been 65,000 spectators. I was too young to watch the game closely so my dad mostly tried to keep me from wandering away.

Only years later did I learn that Miami High had been the powerhouse before Gables.

If I'm supposed to mention a restaurant in this post I'll note all the fond memories I have of the Forum Cafeteria at Dadeland. I couldn't believe they were actually allowing me to load up on everything I wanted and none of the garbage I didn't want. This was before I was old enough to discover buffets, and probably not coincidentally live in Las Vegas for 25 years.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:15 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,126,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
Great list, ray1945. I wondered about another restaurant I used to go to on Commodore Plaza. It was called Kaleidoscope. I guess that's gone too. Another place I know closed down that was a great place to stop on the way home from the beach was Sunday's on the Bay in Key Biscayne. Did it become another club after that?
I loved the Kaleidoscope! Unfortunately it close many years ago. I loved the French onion soup.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:36 PM

Hi, everyone. Well, it started as a restaurant thread but if folks have memories of the old Miami to interject, why not, gang?
I forgot about the Forum. Wow, glad you brought that up, Awsi Dooger. We use to go there. And the Kaleidoscope too. That was a beautiful setting, eating in a garden atmosphere. French onion soup was very popular back then. Monty Trainer's Village Inn had a super one too.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:54 PM

When I first moved down here, in 1973, I remember eating lunch at a restaurant in the Grove called Country Store or Country Kitchen....

Old 07-24-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliphant View Post
Sound hippyyish..at those years all the Grove was like that, was it veggie?
I was hippiesh (sp) but did serve meat.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:29 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,835,302 times
You know when I recall Miami eating establishments in the mid-1970s when my family came here it is one of a few American type dine-in chains- Westward Ho, Pizza Hut, Ferraris Pizzeria etc. Lots of mom and pops-both anglo and cuban. and some of the FastFood we know today-KFC is what I recall. I recall Versailles on Coral Way but do not know if it was Cuban owned then or Anglo. I do not believe the Latin American chain was yet in existence.

We hated BK and McDonald so never noticed their presence.

I played baseball at Flagami and recall the many small cafeterias along that stretch of road.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:20 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,835,302 times
thought you folks may enjoy

Discovering Vintage Miami: A Guide to the City's Timeless Shops, Hotels, Restaurants & More

some of it is free to read on googlebooks.

https://www.amazon.com/Discovering-V...999#nav-subnav

Old 08-15-2016, 08:19 PM

Thanks for sharing the book link, Felix C. Ah, for a lot of us to reach the age where our time is now considered vintage. Our ages are showing but I bet a lot of us feel proud to have been part of the Miami at that time. I always tell people how much I miss Miami, but that was a different Miami. I don't remember when my last visit was...five-plus years ago, I guess. My high schools are having their 40th reunions this October and I wanted to go at first but now, not so sure. Went to Immaculata LaSalle for 9th through 11th grades and Gables for 12th. Having not been popular or in the in-crowd at either, I most likely will pass. It would be nice to come back again though to visit. I have thought it'd be nice at Christmastime to come back and stay for New Year's Eve, but I think it would be disappointing then. I used to be in the King Orange Jamboree, and all that is gone. Maybe a cruise one day. Bayside is still there, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami