Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2010, 11:29 AM

911 posts, read 1,714,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Jmlacysr

You must admit you did NOT listen to people here.
Hi Man,

I could be very serious here but it would fall on deaf ears anyway and why I elected to move here in spite of what I was told. Without going into great detail, I'm still glad I moved and yes even to Miami.

Miami is annoying more than anything else. I've been in much worse places and predicaments than this by a long shot and will deal with it until we decided to do something else.

On the Brickell murder thing. I found another one of those surveys that showed murder rates from various areas. We know most of those survey are questionable at best but it was another thing that put me off. Another consideration was living in a high rise with a dog. I've never done that and seemed like a hassle.

I hate on Miami because I can now. It's my home town too. I travel and live on US1. My experience is much different than people living on Washington ave or Fisher Island.

People say here all the time I love Miami, but when you ask them where, they say in Hallandale. I might as well say I love Miami, I live in Miami near Omaha Nebraska. I live in the city and in the city part of this city and my views are different than others.

Honesty, most of my frustration can't be attributed to where I live. It's a cultural thing that bugs me here. Lazy people, rude and will take advantage of you and not think anything about it. I can deal with stupid people, I have a harder time dealing with those who are stupid and stubborn and even less patience with people who would take my money from me unjustly.

People on this board did indeed tell me this, but I figured that it could not be "that" bad. I really didn't expect the level of lawlessness here in a city in the US. The biggest mistake I made was my underestimation and it's severity and it's impact it would have on daily lives.

Hey, I love NYC and you know that, they honk up there all the time and I have no problem with that. Here though, it takes on a different tone. In NYC they honk to say, watch out I need to get by and I'm coming through, here it's, hey get out of my way, I'm more important that you.

How could I have prepared myself for Miami? No books or forums could have prepared me 100% for landing here and particularly in the belly of the beast. I'm not sure anyone can describe this place accurately in the first place and even then it can vary wildly from experience to experience. I don't say Miami sucks and leave it at that, but say Miami sucks for ME and it's because of this experience I've had and I hope to make that distinction.

Maybe I'm making fun of my own ineptness as well and I'll accept that I made some mistakes. My view of Miami would likely be different if I was taking the Venetian over to the mainland every morning, rather than trying to keep from running down the homeless in my hood.

Even then, I would still have the workforce, and people who don't care about anything other than themselves. I hate thieves. I mean I really hate thieves and I've been subjected to that already.

Agreed to love then, hate now, and it didn't take long for me to flip flop but hate is a strong word. If I hated this place that bad I wouldn't be sitting here right now. I have options and am not stuck here at all.

What I think happens over time here or at least did to me, is when I came here and saw how cool this place was. Loved the houses, the building and the weather. I loved the history, and the patina of this place and once I understood it's people all was good. As I fell victim to thievery and felt unsettled by it's potential for crime, the shine started wearing off and maybe that's where I am today. Rather than cool with Patina I see seedy and run down because of my experiences here so far.

I think also I was naive. I didn't think it could happen to me as a big city guy. I agree I had a certain amount of arrogance that I could handle myself and most situations Miami could throw at me. Miami has humbled me somewhat and unfortunately has made me more cynical about a future life here.

There are positives for my son working in Miami. He's learning life skills he can use later in life. If he can work and excel working in Downtown Miami he can deal with anyone anywhere. Miami is a training ground for what comes next. He's really excelling here man, he's doing very very well because what he learned back in Dallas about a real work ethic. He brought good habits and knowledgeable, personal service to Miami and his sales are absolutely through the roof.

It's intersting what he says about working downtown. He says people come in all huffy with an attuide but once he tells them to calm down and he'll fix their probelm, they fold like a lawn chair. He tells me he has thrown less people out of his store in Miami than the soccer Moms he dealt with in Dallas. They come in with an attitude then leave happy as a clam. He's very good at what he does and Miami is wildly appreciating it.

That's really not unlike what I find about people of Miami. By and large they really are nice people once you get past the facade. The years of having their guards up here only to survive the unscrupulous behavior that goes on, is a side effect of living in such a hostile place. Everyone is wary here and with good reason but most I have found are really good people at heart.

You can actually get that guard down but it takes more work here than other places. Here, it's I don't trust you until you prove yourself, in other places it's, I trust you until you take advantage of me. I think that's an important part to be said here, and that was left unsaid to me before I arrived. People look unfriendly but actully they are not at all.

Our #1 goal was go to Miami and live at the beach but Miami was just a stopping point to other places. We talked about San Diego last night, NYC still on the radar, maybe NC or Denver. It was important to break away from Dallas but it never meant Miami is the last place we would live. It was let's go live at the beach for a while and that was it.

The fact we didn't get to the beach is disappointing. That place in Surfside was on Harding. People carried Surfboards on our street there not crack pipes like where I live.

We also agreed that the first place we lived in Miami would not be ideal. We could do our best to find a good spot that would give us time to look around. The important part was to break away and just get here. We did both, basically we ran out of time to look and how we ended up here.

So we didn't get to "where" we wanted to be for our first year in soflo, but we did make the break from Dallas which was needed. Now that we are out of the nest so to speak, we can fly anywhere and may, or next year when it warms up go live at the stupid beach which was the reason we came here in the first damn place!

That's the long way around to answer your question, but what I think really happened in retrospect.

~j

Old 12-27-2010, 11:29 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,374,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I could care less what they "think " ... but it is tiresome to have to "read" what they think on here ... over and over and over and over .. especially when it is the same negative and in many cases mean spirited ranting . I love discourse and diversity of opinion .... but if you notice on here it is the same disgruntled posters on here constantly saying the same thing over and over .... it would be like posters who wear rose colored glasses posting over and over how awseome and what a nirvana Miami is .. I would feel the same way and call them out as well .

Wild Style it simply seems to me that a few people have hijacked this forum to vent and project their miserable existences on others ... unhappy people will always make a bigger effort to be heard than others .
you don't have to read anything just ignore the thread. And I hear you loud and clear but what can you do?! Same way I don't let Miami's short comings get me down I don't let someone on the internet irritate me to much. Life is to short, speaking of that im off to enjoy the good weather

Deuces

Old 12-27-2010, 11:30 AM

932 posts, read 1,178,473 times
Quote:
I could care less what they "think " ... but it is tiresome to have to "read" what they think on here ... over and over and over and over .. especially when it is the same negative and in many cases mean spirited ranting . I love discourse and diversity of opinion .... but if you notice on here it is the same disgruntled posters on here constantly saying the same thing over and over .... it would be like posters who wear rose colored glasses posting over and over how awseome and what a nirvana Miami is .. I would feel the same way and call them out as well .

Wild Style it simply seems to me that a few people have hijacked this forum to vent and project their miserable existences on others ... unhappy people will always make a bigger effort to be heard than others .
It's simple - if you don't like it, you don't have to read it. CD even allows you to block posters, so you can't even see their posts. I don't see a lot of miserable ranting here, just people of various opinions expressing themselves on both sides of the argument. In my case, I don't like Miami but I am not a miserable person. How you can determine someone's psychie from posts on a forum is baffling too (you must possess certain powers?). Either way, you complaining constantly about people you perceive as complaining is kind of a double standard in itself.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:43 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,080,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
It's simple - if you don't like it, you don't have to read it. CD even allows you to block posters, so you can't even see their posts. I don't see a lot of miserable ranting here, just people of various opinions expressing themselves on both sides of the argument. In my case, I don't like Miami but I am not a miserable person. How you can determine someone's psychie from posts on a forum is baffling too (you must possess certain powers?). Either way, you complaining constantly about people you perceive as complaining is kind of a double standard in itself.
Ok valid argument ... although I have been on this forum for well over a year now and see plenty of "miserable ranting " .. yes I have been told I possess certain powers .. LOL ... I only speak out when I see what I perceive as either unfair or untrue posts about Miami either pro or con ... note there are a few people that go the rose colored glasses Miami route .. one guy that claimed to live in Barcelona , Spain that was a blind Miami proponent .. posted about Miami as if it was a city in the same breath as Paris , Rome , London or Chicago .. I just try and be fair .. and everyone in Miami is not an a hole and all women in Miami are not gold digging , silicone fueled bimbos .. I just like reading balanced posts ... you see much more of that in the Broward forum .

Old 12-27-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Ok valid argument ... although I have been on this forum for well over a year now and see plenty of "miserable ranting " .. yes I have been told I possess certain powers .. LOL ... I only speak out when I see what I perceive as either unfair or untrue posts about Miami either pro or con ... note there are a few people that go the rose colored glasses Miami route .. one guy that claimed to live in Barcelona , Spain that was a blind Miami proponent .. posted about Miami as if it was a city in the same breath as Paris , Rome , London or Chicago .. I just try and be fair .. and everyone in Miami is not an a hole and all women in Miami are not gold digging , silicone fueled bimbos .. I just like reading balanced posts ... you see much more of that in the Broward forum .
Fair enough. I wasn't having a poke at you or anything. I see where you're coming from. I like to read posts reflecting all opinions. Some are worthy of debate, some are not. Some people go too far to the extreme on both sides of the argument.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:05 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,080,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Fair enough. I wasn't having a poke at you or anything. I see where you're coming from. I like to read posts reflecting all opinions. Some are worthy of debate, some are not. Some people go too far to the extreme on both sides of the argument.

Cool ..... where do you live in Miami ... that also has a lot do with it IMO .. we went to a get together near Pine Crest a coupe of days ago .. a friend of my brother a white non hispanic guy married to a stunning Colombian ... they both live and work near the Pinecrest , Sunset , Coral Gables areas and NEVER leave the vicinity .. he has been in the area for three years and loves it ... wonder if he would feel the same living in Kendall , Flagler , Hialeah , Westchester or other areas of Miami ?? .. LOL .

Have a Happy Holiday and New Year .... heading for Tallahassee tomorrow to visit FSU with our daughter .... it is another world compared to Miami and is freezing this week !!

Old 12-27-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Cool ..... where do you live in Miami ... that also has a lot do with it IMO .. we went to a get together near Pine Crest a coupe of days ago .. a friend of my brother a white non hispanic guy married to a stunning Colombian ... they both live and work near the Pinecrest , Sunset , Coral Gables areas and NEVER leave the vicinity .. he has been in the area for three years and loves it ... wonder if he would feel the same living in Kendall , Flagler , Hialeah , Westchester or other areas of Miami ?? .. LOL .

Have a Happy Holiday and New Year .... heading for Tallahassee tomorrow to visit FSU with our daughter .... it is another world compared to Miami and is freezing this week !!
Coral Gables. It's ok here, but I'm just not a good fit (kind of like a square trying to fit into a triangle). I love our apartment, I like the climate here during winter and in all honesty, of course there are worse places to live. Pinecrest is a decent area, but I'm an apartment person and prefer the convenience of Coral Gables, having most of what I need on my doorstep and being more central. We could have opted for Kendall and rented a house, but I had no desire for the long commute.

It does depend on where you live in Miami, but it's tough to escape a lot of the elements of Miami that many would find frustrating. I do agree that the rest of Florida isn't like Miami, although Orlando isn't too far off. That's why I recommended that our friend JM should give some thought to moving just an hour and a half or so north.

Anyway, happy new year to you, enjoy!

Old 12-27-2010, 12:20 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
Hi Man,

I could be very serious here but it would fall on deaf ears anyway and why I elected to move here in spite of what I was told. Without going into great detail, I'm still glad I moved and yes even to Miami.

Miami is annoying more than anything else. I've been in much worse places and predicaments than this by a long shot and will deal with it until we decided to do something else.

On the Brickell murder thing. I found another one of those surveys that showed murder rates from various areas. We know most of those survey are questionable at best but it was another thing that put me off. Another consideration was living in a high rise with a dog. I've never done that and seemed like a hassle.

I hate on Miami because I can now. It's my home town too. I travel and live on US1. My experience is much different than people living on Washington ave or Fisher Island.

People say here all the time I love Miami, but when you ask them where, they say in Hallandale. I might as well say I love Miami, I live in Miami near Omaha Nebraska. I live in the city and in the city part of this city and my views are different than others.

Honesty, most of my frustration can't be attributed to where I live. It's a cultural thing that bugs me here. Lazy people, rude and will take advantage of you and not think anything about it. I can deal with stupid people, I have a harder time dealing with those who are stupid and stubborn and even less patience with people who would take my money from me unjustly.

People on this board did indeed tell me this, but I figured that it could not be "that" bad. I really didn't expect the level of lawlessness here in a city in the US. The biggest mistake I made was my underestimation and it's severity and it's impact it would have on daily lives.

Hey, I love NYC and you know that, they honk up there all the time and I have no problem with that. Here though, it takes on a different tone. In NYC they honk to say, watch out I need to get by and I'm coming through, here it's, hey get out of my way, I'm more important that you.

How could I have prepared myself for Miami? No books or forums could have prepared me 100% for landing here and particularly in the belly of the beast. I'm not sure anyone can describe this place accurately in the first place and even then it can vary wildly from experience to experience. I don't say Miami sucks and leave it at that, but say Miami sucks for ME and it's because of this experience I've had and I hope to make that distinction.

Maybe I'm making fun of my own ineptness as well and I'll accept that I made some mistakes. My view of Miami would likely be different if I was taking the Venetian over to the mainland every morning, rather than trying to keep from running down the homeless in my hood.

Even then, I would still have the workforce, and people who don't care about anything other than themselves. I hate thieves. I mean I really hate thieves and I've been subjected to that already.

Agreed to love then, hate now, and it didn't take long for me to flip flop but hate is a strong word. If I hated this place that bad I wouldn't be sitting here right now. I have options and am not stuck here at all.

What I think happens over time here or at least did to me, is when I came here and saw how cool this place was. Loved the houses, the building and the weather. I loved the history, and the patina of this place and once I understood it's people all was good. As I fell victim to thievery and felt unsettled by it's potential for crime, the shine started wearing off and maybe that's where I am today. Rather than cool with Patina I see seedy and run down because of my experiences here so far.

I think also I was naive. I didn't think it could happen to me as a big city guy. I agree I had a certain amount of arrogance that I could handle myself and most situations Miami could throw at me. Miami has humbled me somewhat and unfortunately has made me more cynical about a future life here.

There are positives for my son working in Miami. He's learning life skills he can use later in life. If he can work and excel working in Downtown Miami he can deal with anyone anywhere. Miami is a training ground for what comes next. He's really excelling here man, he's doing very very well because what he learned back in Dallas about a real work ethic. He brought good habits and knowledgeable, personal service to Miami and his sales are absolutely through the roof.

It's intersting what he says about working downtown. He says people come in all huffy with an attuide but once he tells them to calm down and he'll fix their probelm, they fold like a lawn chair. He tells me he has thrown less people out of his store in Miami than the soccer Moms he dealt with in Dallas. They come in with an attitude then leave happy as a clam. He's very good at what he does and Miami is wildly appreciating it.

That's really not unlike what I find about people of Miami. By and large they really are nice people once you get past the facade. The years of having their guards up here only to survive the unscrupulous behavior that goes on, is a side effect of living in such a hostile place. Everyone is wary here and with good reason but most I have found are really good people at heart.

You can actually get that guard down but it takes more work here than other places. Here, it's I don't trust you until you prove yourself, in other places it's, I trust you until you take advantage of me. I think that's an important part to be said here, and that was left unsaid to me before I arrived. People look unfriendly but actully they are not at all.

Our #1 goal was go to Miami and live at the beach but Miami was just a stopping point to other places. We talked about San Diego last night, NYC still on the radar, maybe NC or Denver. It was important to break away from Dallas but it never meant Miami is the last place we would live. It was let's go live at the beach for a while and that was it.

The fact we didn't get to the beach is disappointing. That place in Surfside was on Harding. People carried Surfboards on our street there not crack pipes like where I live.

We also agreed that the first place we lived in Miami would not be ideal. We could do our best to find a good spot that would give us time to look around. The important part was to break away and just get here. We did both, basically we ran out of time to look and how we ended up here.

So we didn't get to "where" we wanted to be for our first year in soflo, but we did make the break from Dallas which was needed. Now that we are out of the nest so to speak, we can fly anywhere and may, or next year when it warms up go live at the stupid beach which was the reason we came here in the first damn place!

That's the long way around to answer your question, but what I think really happened in retrospect.

~j

So then what's your next step? Leave the county? The state? The region?

Or will you try other living arrangements in Miami-Dade?

Old 12-27-2010, 12:29 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,112,000 times
The main character in Walking Tall (Lemmon City).

Last edited by Manolón; 12-27-2010 at 12:48 PM..

Old 12-27-2010, 02:00 PM

911 posts, read 1,714,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
So then what's your next step? Leave the county? The state? The region?

Or will you try other living arrangements in Miami-Dade?

Short answer for a change. We don't know, there is some chatter at my son's job about a promotion and it might mean another location. I do like Broward better from what I know of it which is not very much. Pompano/FTL/Hllywd appear on the surface to be a more pleasant area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami