Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 02:44 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,201,590 times

Advertisements

No, I came to my senses.

I'm looking for a LTR after all.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:40 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
I think JM needs to get a job. I don't go on about the issues here, it is just a place I live for my job. I am too busy to notice bums, and everything else. Miami is not a place to retire, go up to Juno for that. But they don't have any fancy grocery stores there...they do have Publix greenwise in Palm Beach Gardens.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:25 PM

810 posts, read 1,579,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I think JM needs to get a job. I don't go on about the issues here, it is just a place I live for my job. I am too busy to notice bums, and everything else. Miami is not a place to retire, go up to Juno for that. But they don't have any fancy grocery stores there...they do have Publix greenwise in Palm Beach Gardens.
he only works Saturdays.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:59 AM

583 posts, read 885,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
Go back home. Miami doesnt need you.
And I admonish you to stay in Miami for the sake of the country. Jim is entirely correct. Florida and New York are the scammiest places in the country, and Florida is nothing but transplanted New Yorkers.

Everything Jim says is correct. Florida is a very scammy place, and you have to watch everything that goes on around you, because everyone is trying to pull a scam.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:03 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,269,437 times
it is scammy. just watch your back and keep your eyes peeled for tricks. you get used to it after awhile. and if you have coworkers or relatives visiting here from out of state, warn them to keep their eyes peeled. i had two coworkers who visited here from seattle and were scammed bigtime on food and drinks and had to expense it. also be careful what hotels they stay at. another coworker came and was EATEN ALIVE by bedbugs.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:06 AM

583 posts, read 885,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
If a city is not the people within it then what is the city? It sounds like the line from Braveheart: “The trouble with Scotland is that its full of Scots”.
Indeed. More than once have I said that the problem with Florida is that it's full of Floridians.

I'm somewhat confident that the posters to a Miami internet forum are largely unlikely to scam me, but outside of the internet, you will never encounter a running scam of such duration as is life in Florida, equal status given for life in New York.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:50 AM

911 posts, read 1,714,336 times
Well actually, I've come to the conclusion shady is just more tolerated here than other US cities.

Florida Pain Clinics: 'Pill Mills' for OxyContin Abuse - TIME

I saw something on this on TV last week. There are shady doctors who write scripts for Oxycontin and other drugs. There was no drug tracking system here so the doctors wrote as many as they could. Drug dealers would go up to 7 doctors a day. This killed many people around the country according to this report on TV.

The way I understood it, you go in pay all cash, get a "diagnosis", pay cash, buy your pills right from the doctor and of course in cash.

While shady doctors are in every big city, it was not on nearly this scale, and the state of Florida is only recently is trying to stop it.

It's not the fact that this is going on at all, it's the fact that this has been going on for so long and has been tolerated by those who could fix the problem. In the mean time, it has ruined many peoples lives while others have lined their pockets in cash.

The shady walk right on the line of legal behavior and know those lines well. They also know the ineffectiveness of the officals to stop them unless they really cross the line.

Now please read this part carefully, this is a hard one to explain.

"If you get along, you can go along in Florida".

That was told to us by a cop one day when we asked about legal alcohol limit and driving. He said "We realize people come here to party and we full expect them to over indulge and clubs stay open all night. Just keep your car in the lane and don't drive too crazy and you can go along no matter how much you drink".

It's no secret where I live on this board, so naturally I spoke to a cop about the hookers and drugs dealers on US1. This was a different cop this time and there were two of them and they patrolled my area.

When I asked him about all the sketchy, he said " They are just people trying to make a little money. If we arrested everyone that needed arresting, we wouldn't have time to help the people who really need us." He went on to say, "Besides, when "they" are out there, most working class people are asleep anyway".

I just think shady is more tolerated here than other US cities and I have found this at the dry cleaners, grocery markets and repair shops, even the restaurants. As long as they don't get crazy with it like the drug doctors did, they will likely go on un-noticed.

If you don't get crazy about it, you can do pretty much what you want here as far as the city official are concerned and that only leaves Moral conscious to keep things in check and that lack of Moral consciousness is what I have experienced on a number of occasions. Not on every occasion, but certainly enough to notice a pattern.

That's the long way around to just say, this place can be shady but I think it's important to say why I think it's shady as well. If my attitude sucks because I don't like the shady, then it sucks here, or in Dallas or anywhere else for that matter. Shady sucks most for those who are not shady themselves.

Last edited by Jmlacysr; 01-18-2011 at 12:03 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 12:15 PM

810 posts, read 1,579,601 times
Jm thank you for your conclusions and thoughts. It's so refreshing to hear from non-shady folks who don't like the shady.

Yes shady sucks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX-PA_0C5go

Old 01-18-2011, 12:29 PM

911 posts, read 1,714,336 times
Well, I'm not a fan of that angry white guy wannabe, but I did watch this video being made across the street from my house during the MiMio art festival. Awesome song, they give great hair cuts and cheap too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNIz43xtrww

Old 01-18-2011, 12:32 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,269,437 times
not my kinda music. ghetto stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami