Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 12:31 PM

5 posts, read 8,612 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about visiting Mexico to explore places I may want to retire. Ideally there are places with safe, clean drinking water readily available from a well or other developed water source, which I think I would prefer over bottled water.

By the way, I'm also seeking a cool climate. Living along the Gulf Coast of Mississippi is so oppressively hot and humid for half of the year that I definitely want to avoid this type of climate at all costs.

My current dream would be to live on a hillside or mountainside that overlooks a town or small city. Not too many foreigners in town. And moderately priced ... or just plain inexpensive based on a Mexican point of view.

I don't need much "stuff" to live happily, but going out frequently for cheap, good food is on my list of favorite things to do when I retire. And I have no need for beer, bars, etc.

If you make a suggestion of a place that has some (or most) of what I'm seeking, can you please tell me the reasons why you think I should consider it?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2021, 08:20 AM

5 posts, read 8,612 times
I guess no one can help me with this. Can anyone suggest other forums where Mexico questions are more likely to receive a response?

Old 08-18-2021, 12:23 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,880,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owkaye View Post
I guess no one can help me with this. Can anyone suggest other forums where Mexico questions are more likely to receive a response?
More likely you aren't going to find such a location with 100% safe and pure water in Mexico on a consistent basis. Probably your best bet is to do some searching in Spanish because virtually all the English speaking expats and nomads seem to want something different than that. Surely there are some out there, but you'll have to do some on the ground hunting in Mexico to find them. Cost of living shouldn't be a problem if you go anywhere expats aren't around.

Old 08-18-2021, 02:21 PM

164 posts, read 80,971 times

It seems most of Mexico has drinking water. The weather you like its indicative of central Mexico.

Ironically the US is not exactly great in the drinking water department.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:09 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,232,819 times
Quote:
I'm thinking about visiting Mexico to explore places I may want to retire. Ideally there are places with safe, clean drinking water readily available from a well or other developed water source, which I think I would prefer over bottled water.
Although tap water is drinkable throughout Mexico, the use of bottled water is standardized. In most of northern Mexico, tap water is drinkable.

Quote:
By the way, I'm also seeking a cool climate. Living along the Gulf Coast of Mississippi is so oppressively hot and humid for half of the year that I definitely want to avoid this type of climate at all costs.
If you want to live in the coast with cool climate, the only place is the strip from Tijuana to Ensenada. Any other place will be as the Gulf Coast. Or you can go to the highlands, some towns in Estado de México like Toluca, Metepec, Malinalco are cool also Taxco in Guerrero State or Cuernavaca and Tepoztlan in the state of Morelos.

Other options are Guanajuato City and San Miguel de Allende and Queretaro.

Quote:
Not too many foreigners in town. And moderately priced ... or just plain inexpensive based on a Mexican point of view.
That doesn't exist anymore.

Old 08-19-2021, 12:14 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,426,022 times
NONE/ ZERO.

Mexicans don't touch tap water.

Old 08-20-2021, 02:31 AM

164 posts, read 80,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
NONE/ ZERO.

Mexicans don't touch tap water.
Mexico has decent tap water, it's not Flint!

Old 08-20-2021, 09:08 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
OP, the combination of qualities you seek doesn't exist. There are a number of retirees on this forum, who life around Lake Chapala in the highlands, which stays cool most of the year, and when it does get warmer, the rains come and cool everything down. There's good food to be had, apparently, and beautiful scenery. I don't know about the water, but seeing as how it's populated in part by North American retirees, it doesn't meet your foreigner-free criterion. But AFAIK, it's not one of those over-hyped locations, like San Miguel de Allende. There are several small towns around the lake; you might be able to find one to your liking, with fewer foreigners.

You can't have everything, OP; you need to prioritize.

Old 08-20-2021, 10:45 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,426,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl77 View Post
Mexico has decent tap water, it's not Flint!
Where and what Mexicans admit to drinking it ? I have been all over Mexico. The cuisine is different everywhere you go but the one thing in common is you don't touch the tap water . Only for bathing and cleaning.

Old 08-21-2021, 12:23 AM

346 posts, read 646,928 times
A major issue in Mexico is that many smaller homes or buildings are not on water mains, but use cisterns or tanks to store water. Those pose much risk of bacterial contamination. Many areas of Mexico depend on periodic water deliveries to outdoor or rooftop tanks, as they are not on municipal water systems.

Actual tap water in many larger cities is not the danger, especially if the infrastructure is new, though I wouldn't trust it 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico