Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 06:59 AM

1 posts, read 15,427 times

Advertisements

My mother is Mexican, my father American. I recently got my DNA results from [url]www.23andme.com[/url] and found that I have 12.5% Native American DNA. I have since searched the internet and found that 80% of Mexicans come from the Apaches. I always felt a connection to the American Indians and now I know why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 07:22 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,482,366 times
Didn't you know this before? Hmm

A lot of Mexico's culture come from the Indigenous culture mixed with Spanish.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:48 AM
AFP

7,413 posts, read 7,012,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyThe View Post
My mother is Mexican, my father American. I recently got my DNA results from www.23andme.com and found that I have 12.5% Native American DNA. I have since searched the internet and found that 80% of Mexicans come from the Apaches. I always felt a connection to the American Indians and now I know why.
Yes, the Azetecs from Central Mexico told the story that they were originally from the North and relocated to Tenochtilan(this is the Aztec word for Mexico City). The Mexican flag has a depiction of that story the eagle sitting on the cactus with a snake in it's beak.

I don't have any Native American ancestry but I know many Mexican-Americans and White-Americans that have a lot of pride in their partial Native American ancestry.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:51 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,543,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyThe View Post
I have since searched the internet and found that 80% of Mexicans come from the Apaches. I always felt a connection to the American Indians and now I know why.
LOL, yes many Mexicans have native dna, But 80% of Mexican do not come from Apaches.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:11 AM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
LOL, yes many Mexicans have native dna, But 80% of Mexican do not come from Apaches.
That is correct but Native American DNA is very similar regardless of what part of the continent the tribe was from, hence his close match to Apaches there with little genetic diversity among the original settlers to the American Continent.

This link states that Latinos that live in states that border Mexico have the most Native American ancestry.

DNA USA

Old 02-17-2015, 09:46 AM

14,365 posts, read 17,231,151 times
There have been many, many genetic studies of Mexican admixture over the last few decades. Overall the average Mexican is around 45% Native American, 40% European, and 5% African. The numbers differ slightly depending upon where you are in Mexico. Northern states like Chihuahua are much more European, whereas the indigenous percentage is very high in Southern Mexico including the Yucatan.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:59 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,513,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
That is correct but Native American DNA is very similar regardless of what part of the continent the tribe was from, hence his close match to Apaches there with little genetic diversity among the original settlers to the American Continent.

This link states that Latinos that live in states that border Mexico have the most Native American ancestry.

DNA USA
WOAH, talk about being incredibly incorrect. Let's not make assumptions. The diversity of the natives people of the Americas is immense. In fact, there is more of a genetic difference between a random tribe from southern Mexico and a random tribe from, lets say Northeast USA, than there is between a French and a Chinese.

People from Mexico show stunning amount of genetic diversity | Science/AAAS | News

Old 02-17-2015, 01:14 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,837,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
WOAH, talk about being incredibly incorrect. Let's not make assumptions. The diversity of the natives people of the Americas is immense. In fact, there is more of a genetic difference between a random tribe from southern Mexico and a random tribe from, lets say Northeast USA, than there is between a French and a Chinese.

[url=http://news.sciencemag.org/biology/2014/06/people-mexico-show-stunning-amount-genetic-diversity]People from Mexico show stunning amount of genetic diversity | Science/AAAS | News[/url]
Most people will love to point out the differences between a German and an Italian, but when it comes to Native Americans, they are just all little brown Indians, all the same.

Racism plays a huge factor in anything having to do with Native Americans in the Americas- their medical knowledge isnt 'serious' medicine, their languages are dialects, etc...etc....

Sad but true.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:45 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,157,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Most people will love to point out the differences between a German and an Italian, but when it comes to Native Americans, they are just all little brown Indians, all the same.

Racism plays a huge factor in anything having to do with Native Americans in the Americas- their medical knowledge isnt 'serious' medicine, their languages are dialects, etc...etc....

Sad but true.
I've had the same thoughts as you for a long time since I came to C-D, but I didn't know how to put it in words it's the same with Africans, they're all black and poor, who cares what tribe or language they speak?

Old 02-17-2015, 02:47 PM
AFP

[quote=RudyOD;38480914]WOAH, talk about being incredibly incorrect. Let's not make assumptions. The diversity of the natives people of the Americas is immense. In fact, there is more of a genetic difference between a random tribe from southern Mexico and a random tribe from, lets say Northeast USA, than there is between a French and a Chinese.

People from Mexico show stunning amount of genetic diversity | Science/AAAS | News[/quote

I found your link very interesting, however it is an article not a study I'm looking for a good study I like discussing the subject I'm open to learning if my position is offbase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico