Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 08:08 PM

32,117 posts, read 27,363,904 times

Advertisements

Not too shabby.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...edan-revealed/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2023, 04:29 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,592,827 times
Owner of two MB's (2014 E350 / 2020 GLS450) - my advice is to wait. MB's are experiencing tech learning curve issues that can leave you stranded. The GLS has a known issue in some where the car just goes dead, and I recently had a 2024 GLC300 as a loaner while the GLS was in for warranty repair, that completely went into techno meltdown mode with 700 miles on it outside of a Dunkin' Donuts near my home. Went in to get the donuts, came out and hit the start button and boom...dead.. Was throwing error messages from the turn signal lights on the mirrors being inoperable to the transmission being locked. They had to come tow it back to the dealer and give me a previous generation GLC instead. Fair warning here. I like their cars, but this new batch appears to have some deep software bugs in them that result in being stranded.

I recently bought a new car over Christmas, and because of my experience with the GLC (and reading MB forums), I did not even consider them in my list of cars to look at, for the first time in nearly a decade.

Old 05-09-2024, 05:57 AM

6,610 posts, read 3,263,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Owner of two MB's (2014 E350 / 2020 GLS450) - my advice is to wait. MB's are experiencing tech learning curve issues that can leave you stranded. The GLS has a known issue in some where the car just goes dead, and I recently had a 2024 GLC300 as a loaner while the GLS was in for warranty repair, that completely went into techno meltdown mode with 700 miles on it outside of a Dunkin' Donuts near my home. Went in to get the donuts, came out and hit the start button and boom...dead.. Was throwing error messages from the turn signal lights on the mirrors being inoperable to the transmission being locked. They had to come tow it back to the dealer and give me a previous generation GLC instead. Fair warning here. I like their cars, but this new batch appears to have some deep software bugs in them that result in being stranded.

I recently bought a new car over Christmas, and because of my experience with the GLC (and reading MB forums), I did not even consider them in my list of cars to look at, for the first time in nearly a decade.
That's a pretty scary scenario. I know that the quoted post is a few months old, as I'm reading it, but my wife and I recently took delivery of a 2024 GLE450. So far, we like it very much, but we have to admit, as "seniors", the "tech content" of this vehicle is way over the top! This car is complicated!

The irony of it, is that when you press the ignition switch, and the car fire up, a message comes on the video dashboard, warning that distracted driving is dangerous. No s**t, but the entire dashboard, and easy to accidentally trigger, steering wheel buttons, are one big distraction in themselves!!

Old 05-09-2024, 07:17 AM

17,617 posts, read 22,387,457 times
Demuro did a review: Me I think the E class lost its "class" 10 yrs ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRMiMHCXG_Y

Old 05-09-2024, 06:30 PM

1,516 posts, read 828,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Demuro did a review: Me I think the E class lost its "class" 10 yrs ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRMiMHCXG_Y
I disagree. The Mercedes-Benz E class has always been one of the finer vehicles available.

Old 05-10-2024, 05:28 AM

I'm kicking around the idea of buying one.........

Old 06-03-2024, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I'm kicking around the idea of buying one.........
That is, I WAS considering one. Reason #1 for backing away, the cost, even for a "lightly optioned" E 450, after the local sales tax is rolled in, is almost 80K. I'm retired, and while I do have the money in my retirement funds, it would put a sizeable dent in the account. Given the uncertainty, today, it might not be a wise purchase.

Second thing that crossed my mind, is for a car that I'd consider doing some occasional travelling with, I'm not comfortable with "run flat" tires, and no spare tire. For instance, just going "back home", to visit my relatives, has me "in the boondocks" for a considerable length of time. Puncture a "run flat", and they're only good for 50-75 miles. If I had that happen on my way back home for a visit, I'd have a serious problem......

Old 06-03-2024, 07:36 AM

8,656 posts, read 4,863,686 times
Not bad lines, overall. The big star in the grille and selfie camera are tacky in a way that’s jarring to the image of Mercedes I got to know decades ago. And just say no to video game gauges.

Old 06-03-2024, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
I disagree. The Mercedes-Benz E class has always been one of the finer vehicles available.
They cheapened the line when they discontinued the 6 cyl/8 cyl offerings.

Old 06-03-2024, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
That is, I WAS considering one. Reason #1 for backing away, the cost, even for a "lightly optioned" E 450, after the local sales tax is rolled in, is almost 80K. I'm retired, and while I do have the money in my retirement funds, it would put a sizeable dent in the account. Given the uncertainty, today, it might not be a wise purchase.

Second thing that crossed my mind, is for a car that I'd consider doing some occasional travelling with, I'm not comfortable with "run flat" tires, and no spare tire. For instance, just going "back home", to visit my relatives, has me "in the boondocks" for a considerable length of time. Puncture a "run flat", and they're only good for 50-75 miles. If I had that happen on my way back home for a visit, I'd have a serious problem......
So my uncle has been an S class owner since the 80's, get a new one every 3-5 years. On the spare/run flats issue: I asked him about it, he laughed and said he hadn't had a flat in over 25 years so why worry about it?

If you like the E class: Find a 2 year old CPO one, you will save 25%+++
Then buy a spare rim/tire out of a junkyard for your trip anxiety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart