Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 01:06 PM

371 posts, read 361,162 times

Advertisements

Looking for my first Mercedes, I've found a pretty unique car on sale. It's a GLK that's almost a "barn find," because it's a 2013 model with less than 13,000 miles of use! The seller says it was owned by a now-92-year-old man who didn't drive much. I've always wanted one of these cars, but 8-10 years later, most have over 80k on the clock.

Looking over the carfax, I see it was dealer-serviced every two years. The longest mileage between servicings was 5,000 miles. I've always heard you should change oil annually matter how little you drive, but in this case, that didn't happen. Is this a problem, considering the quality of oil used at an MB dealer.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2023, 01:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
#1, Was it stored inside?
#2, What is the climate zone? Humidity / heat / cold
#3, Was it run regularly? (Condensation?)
#4, Synthetic oil? (I presume so)

I wouldn't worry about it, I have bought a lot of vehicles who have gone 10+ yrs without an oil change. (Living outdoors in a briar patch.)

Old 01-01-2023, 01:30 PM

I do't know many details yet, but I'm told that it was always garaged. It lives in the Rocky Mountain region you know so well. I'm sure any MB dealer would use only the finest oil, and overcharge for it. As for regularity of use, I don't know, but at 1200 miles per year, probably not.

Old 01-01-2023, 01:32 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,400,285 times
The every other year oil changes in and of itself I don't think is very much of a problem.

Just keep in mind that time can take a toll on things. Seals and gaskets can dry out from lack of use. Oil leaks and air conditioning issues can develop, as can issues with brakes and other things. I would not go in there thinking that you just scored a one year old used car, just because there's one year's worth of mileage on the clock.

It very well might turn out to be a great score that will provide years of use without any serious issues, but you never know. Good luck!

Old 01-01-2023, 01:39 PM

It was seen and serviced at an MB dealer last June, less than a thousand miles ago.

Old 01-01-2023, 07:46 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I curious if most of those miles were short little trips, just a few miles down the road and back.... or were they longer trips that allowed the oil to get up to operating temp?

Old 01-01-2023, 10:27 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
I will worry more about dried up gaskets and seals. With those miles, a 2013, is probably not going to die due to engine failure, it is going to be the "other" nagging issues.
Have a mechanic put it on the lift and take a close look.

Old 01-02-2023, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
The every other year oil changes in and of itself I don't think is very much of a problem.

Just keep in mind that time can take a toll on things. Seals and gaskets can dry out from lack of use. Oil leaks and air conditioning issues can develop, as can issues with brakes and other things. I would not go in there thinking that you just scored a one year old used car, just because there's one year's worth of mileage on the clock.

It very well might turn out to be a great score that will provide years of use without any serious issues, but you never know. Good luck!
The MB dealer I consulted today pointed out this problem. I won't buy unless I can have it inspected.

Old 01-02-2023, 01:12 PM

Question to the rabbit and other gearheads: what's worse, a well-maintained very low mile car that sat around too much, or one with 30,000 miles that went three years and 15,000 miles before its first oil change (according to the carfax)?

Old 01-02-2023, 01:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Car fax may be missing a trivial entry such as oil change. Was it a rental fleet? Has it been wrecked?

It depends... A lot on climate and owner (driving style) and quality of service components... And of course the Brand of vehicle.

If under 100k, I'd go for lowest mileage in dry (but not roasting) climates, with maintenance records.
10+ yrs in extreme temps, especially heat will start to dry out seals and hoses.

I would plan on replacing hoses, and belts. Flush brakes, check for leaks of any kind... Then enjoy the journey. I find modern cars (post 1990s) to have weakness related to plastics/ such as foam blend doors in AC.

Don't over pay, get something you'll be happy with.

Life is short, move on with your best choice, and have some fun.

Know the make and potential problems. A friend bought a very nice low mileage jaquar convertible. His nearest service is 2 hrs away. It has spent 9 months of the last 24 waiting for repairs. Low mileage is still happening! But it's nice when it's running. Has left him stranded many times. That's not fun.

If you have a service person.... See how interested they are in keeping your new toy serviced. Listen intently to them. Realize you may need their service more, as you and your car age.

Best wishes for just the right find (for you)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart