Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 02:11 PM

17,280 posts, read 22,006,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I decided I wanted to try a convertible. I never had one but wasn’t happy with the looks or performance of a soft top. The trunk space isn’t a deal killer as long as I have some.

I have to say I am loving top down driving, but like to secure the car with the top up and it’s quieter too.
I've owned two, bought both brand new and ehhh I'm still not a convertible fan (M3/911).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2022, 03:15 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Convertible hard tops never worked from a packaging perspective, with no trunk room with the top down.
And this is exactly not why.
Hi Mercedes people! This thread caught my eye in the sidebar. Hope you don't mind a Volvoian joining the chat.
My wife's car is a 2013 Volvo C70. We leased it intending to continue leasing one every 3 years. Not 6 months later it was discontinued. I reached out to Volvo to find out why. It's not... because of trunk room.

Hard top convertibles have always been niche. Most people, believe it or not, want that ragtop top. Including me. Prefer the look. The wife is the one who wanted a hard top. Convertibles fell out of favor over a decade ago. All convertibles. Sales have been dropping for a long time. This is why Volvo dropped the hard top... in 2014. VW in 2015. Hard top convertibles were less then a quarter of overall convertible sales.
This is why hard tops are disappearing. Less and less people want convertibles and the ones that do prefer rag tops. They want their convertibles...to LOOK like convertibles.

Quote:
They were good for people who wanted a hard top and put the top down a few times a year but not something you could run around with the top down and still have trunk room for a big grocery run or shopping at Home Depot.
Ridiculous. You know what else I never take to Home Depot? My regular car. This is why I have an SUV. A few times a year...omg. Is Home Depot or the grocery store the only places you go? Our top is down 80% of the summer.

Quote:
put another way, the same trunk space as a Ford Focus hatchback.
Put it another way, this was never meant to be the grocery getter. And if you want to pack the groceries there's a simple solution for that: put the top up! lol Come on man. No one is NOT buying because there's no trunk space when the top is put away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
I drive my RF hard top retractable Miata at speeds up to 80 mph with the top down or up.
Right? To the person you've replied to: tell me you've never actually been in a convertible without telling me. The C70 is our third and we regularly drive on the freeway and we don't even use a wind deflector (which almost makes it like driving with the top up). Standard in the Merc, I believe.

I'll never forget the time we were putting the top down outside a restaurant parked on the street. Wife over heard someone walking by: Wow, not much room in that back seat, is there? Wife turned to her and said:
"Yea, we didn't buy this to drive our friends around in!"

Cheers to my vert friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart