Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2019, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,818 times

Advertisements

Took my GL350 to a mercedes dealership to get the ECM updated. After the update the service department said it had a code that said the timing chain needed replaced. I told them to go ahead and change it. During the test drive they seized the engine. Said it sucked up sludge and ran without oil. Then they said it happened during there watch and would help fix it. There solution was to remove the engine and rebuild the lower half including the bearings. They did that then ran the engine for a full day. The next day the ran it for a couple hours and seized the motor up again. At this point is the shop negligent? Shouldn’t they be replacing the engine and not charging me at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 10:32 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino1031 View Post
Took my GL350 to a mercedes dealership to get the ECM updated. After the update the service department said it had a code that said the timing chain needed replaced. I told them to go ahead and change it. During the test drive they seized the engine. Said it sucked up sludge and ran without oil. Then they said it happened during there watch and would help fix it. There solution was to remove the engine and rebuild the lower half including the bearings. They did that then ran the engine for a full day. The next day the ran it for a couple hours and seized the motor up again. At this point is the shop negligent? Shouldn’t they be replacing the engine and not charging me at all?
Yes, I think they should eat it. However, you have to realize that the passenger car application of the OM642 is a catastrophe. I had to get rid of one.

Did your engine sound like this?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT9EC9xWIXw

Old 07-21-2019, 09:46 AM

6,540 posts, read 7,121,664 times
Was this Morrie’s Mercedes of St Paul? If so, I have mechanic friends there and could get info...

Old 11-21-2019, 02:18 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,553,208 times
I am here as a 2 year owner of a CPO E350 sedan (2014) with now 45k miles. Overall the car is great. But I have come to learn that the MB Dealership Network is by far the worst I have ever experienced (I’m 46), and my car will NEVER see another one again. I’ve had service from 3 dealerships. The first lied to me about fixing two bent rims. The second sold me a clearly defective tire, and the third (where I bought it from, and who CPO’d it) completely screwed up my brakes over a routine fluid change. On top of that - they sold me the car with two bent rims as well, a blown speaker, and a defective seat. CPO!!

And to top it all off - today I took it to a highly regarded indi mechanic for an oil change and transmission fluid flush. Only works on MB’s, been in business for 30 years, is considered legendary. He just called me to let me know they can’t service the transmission because one bolt holding the pan had been sheered off completely at some point in the past and it’s missing another bolt altogether, but it’s not leaking.

I bought the car with 22k miles. The trans has not been touched during my ownership.

If you buy a MB from a dealership - make sure a trusted indi checks it out first, and MAKE SURE the day you drive it off their lot, is the last day they ever see it again (if you can avoid it). Totally get warranty work - but anything else - I’m convinced they are not trustworthy to do it right, at all. Almost to the point of intentionally trying to sabotage your car so they can continue to charge you for more work...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart