Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 10:46 PM

21,948 posts, read 25,318,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
How much would it cost to just replace the shaft on a preventive basis before symptoms show up, and what's the worst case scenario? A blown engine similar to what a busted timing belt would cause?

My brother down in Florida bought an sel-560 or something like that for about 5k and thought it was a bargain.

The thing had an awesome power train. He claimed that it would cruise at 130mph at about 3500 rpm. He was on some open road in Georgia at the time.

But anyways, I went to visit him one summer and here's this piece of crap with no ac, a squeaking front shock, and smoke coming from near the front there. I think the hydraulic fluid from the shock line was burning off on something hot near the engine.

Did I mention no ac? Here I am in Bradenton, late July, and I gotta roll the windows down on this pos.

I told him I'd rather rent a kia to drive around in. It would have cost 3000.00 to fix the ac, about that to fix the shock...

Junk and revenge engineering.
$0.

It's a recall. OP had eight or nine years to do the recall, issued back in 2007, assuming he had one of the vehicles covered under the recall, which was '04-'08 3.5 equipped vehicles although not all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 05:33 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,695,934 times
The problem with most MB complaints come from people that buy old used MB's or have never owned one. My 1999 E430 has had a total of $830 for repairs during the 16 years that I have driven it.

My 2013 Ford Fusion has had 4 recalls and I just had to pay $485 for a cracked moonroof. The old MB is still a better driving and handling car than the almost new Fusion.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:39 PM

192 posts, read 243,217 times
I got burned by a used 2010 GLK350 4Matic that had the dreaded 722.9 transmission in it that was famous for bricking right after the unit went out of warranty. That was the last Benz I'll ever own that's not under warranty. I'd lease one and happily hand it back over after the lease period ends and get another new one, but not without free scheduled maintenance and no out-of-warranty exposure. They're still a huge gamble, post Daimler Chrysler.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:39 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,859,349 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAgY6A3RPcU

Old 04-10-2016, 10:32 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,745,913 times
This is a well known issue with the m72 motor. This issue does not affect all m72 motors.

Check this thread out for information.
Interpret Balance Shaft Sprocket Engine Serial # for 2006 & Later Gasoline Only? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Old 04-11-2016, 06:30 PM

990 posts, read 2,565,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
This is a well known issue with the m72 motor. This issue does not affect all m72 motors.

Check this thread out for information.
Interpret Balance Shaft Sprocket Engine Serial # for 2006 & Later Gasoline Only? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

A couple of points about this....

First, the 350 series of engines was Mercedes Benz most popular engine type.

The M-272's in jeopardy effects model years beginning in 2005 and goes through at least 2007.

There are quite literally 100's of thousand of these vehicles on the roads.

Lastly, while it is sad that such a mistake can be made.... It is even more sad that Mercedes Benz has abandoned the owners of these vehicles.

The official position is that the vehicle was warranted for 4 years or 40,000 miles.

During this period the defect was uncommon to be observed but covered.

After 10 years or 100,000 miles... you are on your own.

Equally sad, was the fact that where was a test for this condition.

However, if you don't look... You don't find... therefor you don't have to address the problem until the engine electronics can no longer adjust for the failure.

Speaking strictly for myself... I am somewhat obsessive when it comes to vehicle maintenance....

I did everything called for and even earlier than the recommendation.

I had recently done the 100,000 tune up.... Transmission, Belts etc....

My problem.... at 93,000... IT'S DEAD !!!

To them... where is the problem... it lasted 10 years....

Good Lord.... when was the last time a well maintained vehicle, of supposed superior quality and considerable price was a basket case at 93,000.

It seems to me, Mercedes Benz should be ashamed of themselves.

I've given up seeking redress...

What my intention is to simply warn any prospective buyers of this lurking elephant...

This truly is a REAL issue and one likely to bite many owners on the butt.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:23 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,152,617 times
Shrug, should have done your homework or stepped up and bought a car with the big boy engine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart