Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 07:30 PM

273 posts, read 532,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
How would owning one have a level of exclusivity if it weren't expensive to repair and maintain?
That's not the reason why I brought the car, always wanted to have a luxury car and so decided to get this one. It doesn't mean I want to throw away my money on repairs and stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 08:09 PM

359 posts, read 780,732 times
How hard is it to go to the dealer to find out what third party warranty they prefer?

Old 05-16-2013, 08:21 PM

273 posts, read 532,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgto View Post
How hard is it to go to the dealer to find out what third party warranty they prefer?
I called them, but they offered no suggestions. All they said was that they wouldn't be able to offer an extended warranty since I didn't purchase it from them. I would have to call up another dealership and find out.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:02 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,425,765 times
You have a C300, which is not really known for being a huge financial drain once the warranty expires. It does have the 4Matic, which can cost more over the long-term, given the components of the system. It will cost more to maintain than a Corolla, but much less than some of the larger Mercedes.

If you plan to use the dealership, you will want an extended warranty because of the charges that dealer services like to add to the bill. If you know of an excellent independent mechanic, however, you can fare better than at the dealership, perhaps not in the labor rate, but in terms of fixing a problem as opposed to replacing parts.

AAA also offers a service contract program, if you are a member, with three tiers of coverage available. I think that AAA allows you to use the dealer or an independent mechanic, though I would check on that before contracting for the coverage.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-16-2013, 09:23 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,089,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunseenguest View Post
That's not the reason why I brought the car, always wanted to have a luxury car and so decided to get this one. It doesn't mean I want to throw away my money on repairs and stuff.
"Luxury" cars imply a certain... luxury, like having the money to throw away either on initial depreciation or repairs. That's in addition to the cutting edge features and other creature comforts. Mercedes is NOT building cars for people that are concerned with nickles and dimes for every repair, understand that. They are aimed at customers that will pay the premium to buy it new. With the exception of cars covered under their resale warranty, they build cars with the expectation that they will need too much work to be economical as a used vehicle.

That's luxury.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:59 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,902,468 times
Quote:
"Luxury" cars imply a certain... luxury, like having the money to throw away either on initial depreciation or repairs. That's in addition to the cutting edge features and other creature comforts. Mercedes is NOT building cars for people that are concerned with nickles and dimes for every repair, understand that. They are aimed at customers that will pay the premium to buy it new. With the exception of cars covered under their resale warranty, they build cars with the expectation that they will need too much work to be economical as a used vehicle.

That's luxury.
I don't know if you own a luxury car or not but people who don't tend to think this a lot and one can only guess why. If you've ever spent any amount of time on a forum with luxury cars, you will see all kinds of people including many do-it-yourself threads because they want to save some money. They will ebay for parts because it's a better value. They will start threads asking for coupons for the next routine service (who wants to spend $350 on Service A when you can get it for $150?). They will ask for diagnosis so they don't get screwed by the dealer. People don't accrue wealth by spending wildly, and if anything, they tend to be even more careful with their money AND will even argue further to get their way. From what you're saying in that last sentence... it sounds like you think MB makes disposable cars. JD Power indicates they are one of the most reliable brands. Would you think the same of Porsche and their owners? Because they are even more reliable. What a luxury brand really comes down to is better craftsmanship/materials, better customer service, and higher prestige as a result. Not suprisingly, this costs more and has nothing to do with how mindlessly a person should want to spend their money - especially after they've purchased the product.

Last edited by ovi8; 05-17-2013 at 07:12 AM..

Old 05-17-2013, 07:19 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,902,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
OP, Warranty Direct is not a scam, though I'm sure people who did not get their cars fixed because of some reason or another would definitely claim that it is. I would not go with them for coverage on a Mercedes. In fact, they stopped offering coverage on the S class cars because it was costing them too much and they would try to deny claims any way they could.
I have Warranty Direct now since the 4-year warranty on my '08 BMW expired. We all know BMW is not the most reliable, especially with their electronics. Warranty Direct seems to be one of the bigger companies who have low risk of going out of business (which is what the biggest issue is as far as warranties go). You have to be careful about the fine print. I compared it to what BMW offers and even they don't offer the full coverage you'd expect, not to mention they cost at least $1k more and covers less time/mileage in addition. So far I've had to do $1500 worth of repairs (had to fight the dealer to be honest about it since WD wouldn't pay more and they finally succumbed) out of the $3000 cost of the warranty. I've also come to find out WD doesn't cover the diagnostic fee nor any reprogramming of the computer. They don't put this on the paperwork but they'll tell you if you ask - thankfully I wasn't subject to either cost that time or I'd look into the legality of that. These are the kinds of things you have to watch out for. Other than that, they will only pay out what the "book" says it should cost - and rightfully so if you think about it. The most important piece of advice many give is to avoid dealers and find a reputable independent shop for European cars near you... ask around on MB forums. Those are the ones who want to earn your business and are less likely to put the screws on your warranty company.

That said, I would agree with others that the C300 is a reliable vehicle and so long as you have a clear repair history on your car, I'd forego the warranty and just save the money you would've spent and use it for that rainy day. If it were a BMW, I'd suggest different.

Last edited by ovi8; 05-17-2013 at 07:30 AM..

Old 06-28-2013, 04:29 AM

9 posts, read 22,557 times
You should check out ForeverCar. I got an extended car warranty from them last year - they've been really great with their services. If you're wondering whether they're reliable - their coverage is backed by an insurance company that is rated Excellent by A.M. Best. In most cases, you have to look out for what is NOT covered in the contract but ForeverCar makes that easy as everything is upfront. You'll find details on their website.

[url]https://www.forevercar.com/[/url]

Old 06-28-2013, 12:46 PM

11,362 posts, read 16,735,475 times
IMO you should only buy the extended warranty from the dealer.

Unfort, 3rd party companies always try to deny deny and deny coverage.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,218 times
Default The hard truth (or welcome to reality)

Quote:

That's luxury.
Over the years I have owned (4) MB 500 SL's. These all are exceptional luxury cars and considered by many the best line Mercedes has to offer! All cars which I purchased from private parties sported over 60,000 miles and with my upfront knowledge that their former owners simply not wanting to face the soon to come breakdown and or required maintenance issues. More specifically they were not really concerned with the actual costs for any type of needed repairs, but the time and aggravation dealing with older cars, dealership issues, parts availability and most important taking away time from their luxury lifestyle and inconveniencing them, etc. Yet myself being a Blue Collar guy maintain to wanting the pre-owned affordable MB flash, the recognition, the elevated impression to others and the prestige to driving such an automobile. Making a long story short I kept each car for about 5-years (averaging a total of 30,000 miles of mostly luxury Sunday driving) while however over that time having to invest about $6,500 in repairs and parts for each and that with a trusty European 'breakaway' mechanic in my pocket from a MB dealership...now with his own very reputable local shop. All things considered it's simply not an economical automobile as a used vehicle, but more of a Mistress kept on the side where financial matters pale once you are in her fine company of offerings!

Good News: Now Mercedes is offering a'Certified Pre-Owned' (MBCPO) 2-year additional warranty extension with unlimited miles, starting when your vehicle's original 4-year/50,000-mile new vehicle Limited Warranty expires. This will be the way to go for about $5,000 if you have the cash and the car to go along with it!

Last edited by Tom Sunday; 10-17-2014 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart