Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 09:07 AM

246 posts, read 498,222 times

Advertisements

My first post here.
Qx: I will soon move to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, for two years, and am considering buying an old (i.e., '80's) Mercedes diesel automobile to take with me. The altitude there is almost 8000ft, and the vehicle would be purchased at what is essentially sea level. Would I need to make any engine adjustments to compensate for this altitude difference?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 11:12 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
IF you are looking at a 1980's 123 chassis MB diesel, then you've got two choices ...

either a 240D, naturally aspirated. It was adequate in performance at sea level, at 8,000', it will barely get out of it's own way. There is an aneroid compensator on the injection pump, but you'll still want to have the fuel flow adjusted downward so that it's not belching smoke (excess fuel) out the exhaust at the slightest touch of the throttle. I wouldn't rely upon one of these cars for transportation at altitude, and I've used these for a commute between Denver and Vail, CO, where I had to transit mountain passes to almost 12,000'. My mountain property is at 8,000' elevation, and the thinner air makes for an interesting experience trying to start the naturally aspirated diesel in cold temps ... you must use the block heater to assist with starting.

A much better choice would be the 1982-1985 MB 300Dturbo. A lot more power to start with, the turbo makes all the difference in the world for performance at altitude. On my Colorado mountain commute, I can drive 75 mph with a clean exhaust up the mountain grades without any difficulty. Cold weather starting, of course, still requires use of the block heater once at altitude where it wouldn't be a problem down at sea level in similar temperatures. Again, there are some adjustments to be done to the fuel injection to optomize the fuel rate. Such adjustment would best be done at the altitudes of operation rather than guessing them at sea level.

1980/81 300D's were naturally aspirated. A dog at sea level when new, these cars are almost worthless as transportation at 5,000' elevation, let alone 8,000'. I owned several and couldn't believe how poorly they performed, even in comparison to a same year 240D. MB packed these cars with so much standard equipment that they were simply too heavy for the horsepower available. The 1982 turbo model made all the difference in the world.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
A much better choice would be the 1982-1985 MB 300Dturbo...there are some adjustments to be done to the fuel injection to optomize the fuel rate. Such adjustment would best be done at the altitudes of operation rather than guessing them at sea level.
I'm not certain how the vehicle will be delivered to Addis Ababa, but my sketchy information is that after an ocean journey it will be driven from a sea-level port. Will going from 0' to 8000' be possible without making adjustments along the way, and can the adjustments you referenced be easily done by someone (like myself) with minimal mechanical knowledge and special automotive tools?

Cold winters don't seem to be much of a factor in Addis Ababa, since it's so close to the equator. I'm assuming, therefore, that a block heater would not be so important?

Thanks for your previous input.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:48 PM

A trip from sea level to 8,000' is certainly doable without making adjustments enroute with the turbodiesel.

Due to the atitude, several adjustments will be required to optomize the running of the car.

These can include adjusting the maximum fuel rate, and the shift control linkages/cable for the transmission so it's shifting better with the power curve of the engine.

I don't know your skill level, but there's a bunch of articles in the MBOwner's Club monthly newsletter from years ago that describe these adjustments in layman's terms. No special tools required, either.

As long as the temperatures are above 50F, then "cold" starting shouldn't be an issue for you at the altitude with an engine that has good compression, is in tune and running clean filters, and a correctly functioning glow plug and controller set.

Keep in mind that the 123 chassis MB 300Dturbo was a special production for the USA market and all of the cars have automatic transmissions, so adjusting this to optomize the shift points can do wonders for maintaining performance.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:34 PM

One last question: Is there a significant difference between the 300SD Turbo-diesel, and the 300D Turbo-diesel?

Again, thanx for the suggestions and advice. Both are helping make this a much easier decision for me.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:49 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
The 300SD is a W126 body car. A much larger vehicle. The 300D turbodiesel is a W123, exactly the same body as the 240D. I've had both the 300SD (300SDL) and the 300D and they are both great cars.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:37 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
If it's turbocharged, you're golden. If it's not, forget it.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:01 AM

Is there a reason why you're looking at these cars for your two-year stay?

Much as I love my 1982 300D ... the third one I've owned ...

It's not as capable a car as some of my newer vehicles, such as a 2001 Subaru Outback. Fuel economy is comparable in the Subie. FWIW, there's a host of more modern vehicles than the 1980's series MB diesels that are readily available.

Even a good survivor 300D will have issues with climate control, central locking, glow plug controller, electric windows, steering suspension components, exhaust system, interior wear, and likely transmission issues at this point. They were good for 300,000 miles with proper care when new, but age and miles have a way with catching up with even the best of them ... a higher mileage 300D will be looking at a proper valve job (to include replacing the worn out iron guides with new ones) at a minimum to maintain proper compression, if not a ring & valve job, depending upon how it was maintained and driven in it's service life. With your intended operation at 8,000', there's no tolerance for anything less than correct compression in this car. The last thing I'd want to see is you buy a car that appears to be OK, ship it to your location, and then discover that it's not all it appears to be ... will you have access to correct repairs there?

Old 09-05-2011, 03:22 PM

Sunsprit - Two primary reasons for considering these vehicles are: 1) they use diesel fuel, and, 2) are relatively cheap (i'm looking at spending less than $3500). Diesel is readily found in Addis Ababa, whereas gasoline deliveries can be problematical and expensive (one fellow I know claims he spends $100/wkly to feed his Toyota Land Cruiser). I don't know if there are any Mercedes dealerships in Addis, but MB is a world-recognized brand (all the world's despots own these things, even the Pope has one!), so I would be surprised if there weren't qualified technicians available somewhere in the city.

That said, all of the points you made about owning a 30-year old vehicle are true, and I definitely do not want to be caught in the gloomy scenario that you described. Basically, I only need a vehicle that is reliable, cheap-ish transportation; I don't really need A/C, or heat even, and don't care if the dash is cracked or the radio aerial isn't working. If it has 300K miles on the original engine, but can do another 100K, then that's alright with me. Options like an automatic sunroof might be a nice thing here in the states, but during the rainy season in Ethiopia it is only a potential source of malfunction, leakage, & subsequent rust to me. The 300D Turbo came highly recommended by you, so that's the model I've actively looked for. I assumed that the 300SD Turbo might be equally good, but wanted to hear other thoughts first.

I second your opinion of the 2001 Subaru Outback. In fact, we have one which we bought new in 2001 when we were living in Monument, CO (altitude 7300'). I consider it the car of choice for snowy areas, but it's less useful here in the L.A. area. My wife loves it so much that she refuses to let me take it to Ethiopia (which should tell you how strong our marriage is...just kidding)! Used Subies tend to be more expensive than used 300D's and 300SD's, but you are correct that it only makes sense to consider them as options.

Finally, please accept my thanks to you (and the others) for providing such useful advice and opinion. It's nice to have such a deep pool of experience to fish in.
Kind regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Is there a reason why you're looking at these cars for your two-year stay?
It's not as capable a car as some of my newer vehicles, such as a 2001 Subaru Outback.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:49 PM

Perhaps you might want to do a bit more research into what vehicles are common and serviced in your destination before buying one here for shipment.

There's a lot of diesel powered vehicles in the world market which aren't available in the USA models from those manufacturers.

I'm assuming that the roads at your destination may not be up to the standards of USA or Europe, and you might want to look at diesel fueled SUV's or small pick-up trucks ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart