Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 07:06 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post
I'd agree that it's an extreme example, but I don't doubt it. In my medical school class, I know a multitude of my classmates who have been robbed--some multiple times. I've had some minor theft from my car and some vandalism. A good friend of mine has had people smash in his window twice, stealing some CDs one time and a stroller the next. Another friend had his apartment looted on Mud Island. Several students have had their cars broken into parked at the medical school campus. One had his car stolen--twice. Another girl was held at gunpoint.

Memphis is, without a doubt, the most crime-ridden city I've lived in. And yes, I've lived in 5 cities with over 500,000 people.

I don't feel terribly unsafe here, but it's just a matter of time. I live in Central Gardens, so I feel a bit safer. But even here....

Honestly, I'd never raise my family here. I'm from East Tennessee where things are a lot more civil. I'll be leaving Memphis and not really missing it. Sadly, as I reflect back on my medical school experience, the whole lot of it can't help but be tainted by living in this city. It's never terrible, but honestly, it could be far, far, far better. I don't foresee things getting any better, either.
is it or is it not? your post seems to be an enigma. you seem to take the position that everyone who lives in memphis is, or inevitably will be, a victim of crime, then you seem to say "not really!" i, for one, would lend more credence to your post if it were not so seemingly contradictory. what leads me to respond to this post is your "rose-colored" view and unchallenged characterization of the mythical east tn area. for decades, many people w/in this state, and, indeed, w/in the USA, have perceived the east tn area as a harbor for folk who are lawless and reckless---right or wrong. the hatfields and McCoys---notorious breakers of the law--- folk who think little about bearing arms, ones who arm themselves and begin shooting their neighbors; and, finally, ones who are characterized as racous and unruly marauders---and, not just in family feuds. i might add, it is perceived that many murders and acts of violence go w/out investigation by law enforcement. the reason: corrupt law enforcement with an east tn mentality of self-preservation. yes, you may be thinking that the above sounds a good deal like your description of memphis. it seems that way to me, also. perhaps you should review the sensational murder trials that are being reviewed on the CNN affiliate. court tv is currently showing the trial of a knoxville man who gunned down an eighteen-year-old man, who was having an affair with the gunman's wife. she, by the way, was an upstanding teacher in the knox county school system. her reputation got no better as time passed---nor her behavior! too, you might want to review the murders of the law enforcement representative and his friend, who went to serve a warrant on one of two brothers in an east tn county near knoxville. that had no happy ending. as memphis is about four to five times the size of knoxville, i would say you could expect more crime in the memphis metro. however, i would like to point out an interesting fact. the murders and the violent crimes in the above cited east tn cases were perpetrated by and on caucasions. this is truly terrible...can it be better? i do not know. should it? YES! will it be? if we are judging by history, i would not be hopeful---sad but true, knoxville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,240 times
Crime seems to be getting worse and worse in Memphis. Has anyone seen onlyinmemphis.wordpress.com ? It has a ton of posts about Memphis crime over the past year or so.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:44 AM

541 posts, read 1,224,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
is it or is it not? your post seems to be an enigma. you seem to take the position that everyone who lives in memphis is, or inevitably will be, a victim of crime, then you seem to say "not really!" i, for one, would lend more credence to your post if it were not so seemingly contradictory. what leads me to respond to this post is your "rose-colored" view and unchallenged characterization of the mythical east tn area. for decades, many people w/in this state, and, indeed, w/in the USA, have perceived the east tn area as a harbor for folk who are lawless and reckless---right or wrong. the hatfields and McCoys---notorious breakers of the law--- folk who think little about bearing arms, ones who arm themselves and begin shooting their neighbors; and, finally, ones who are characterized as racous and unruly marauders---and, not just in family feuds. i might add, it is perceived that many murders and acts of violence go w/out investigation by law enforcement. the reason: corrupt law enforcement with an east tn mentality of self-preservation. yes
If my post is an enigma, it's because I'm trying to see the good in a place that is absolutely the worst place I've called home--both statistically and subjectively.

I lived in East Tennessee for decades. I never knew anyone who had been robbed. I heard about it in the papers, but that was it. In Memphis, I personally know dozens who have been robbed, including myself. I'm not sure where this Hatfield-McCoy connection is coming in relation to East Tennesseee, as they were in West Virginia and Kentucky.

In my years in Blount and Knox County, I was never threatened with physical violence and only once in a blue moon harrassed by bums that I can remember. In Memphis, the bum thing is a daily encounter. The threat of violence has happened on six separate occasions that I can think of. And simply comparing the crime rates between Knox and Shelby County will reveal the massive differences between the two places that I speak of.

Knox County has a population of 423,000. Shelby County has 910,000.

Murders per 100,000?

Knox: 8.9
Shelby: 16.8

Aggravated Assault per 100k

Knox: 392
Shelby: 582

Robbery per 100k

Knox: 150
Shelby: 464

Old 04-29-2009, 09:54 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,352 times
Default nashville, memphis, knoxville and east tn...beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubber56 View Post
Crime seems to be getting worse and worse in Memphis. Has anyone seen onlyinmemphis.wordpress.com ? It has a ton of posts about Memphis crime over the past year or so.

according to the news sunday night, the new crime statistics came out last friday, 4/24/09. i have not seen the comparisons. i do not know---all things being equal---if the compliations are correct. i do know that many cities complain greatly about the lack of accuracy of these stats. according to what i've heard, memphis was ranked either 1st or 2nd in violent crime. detroit was ranked in the number 2 position. from what i understood, nashville, tn was ranked # 9 on the list of top 10 for violent crime. nashville has consistently ranked in the #7 spot over the last several years. again, city of memphis (proper) population (2007) was estimated at 729,309. nashville-davidson county population (2007) was estimated at 625,000. it is unclear to me whether apples to apples comparison. what i do know---both of these cities have real and perceived violent crime problems.

even though this statement is not to respond to any statement made in this initial post, i will respond here to the statement made in another post about the hatfields and McCoys. i realize that the hatfields and McCoys are traditionally associated with, I believe, kentucky---possibly west virginia; however, most of the nation thinks of them as running in the hills of tn. if not, the others who do not think so certainly think regionally of west virginia, kentucky, tn, and north carolina---the appalachian and blueridge mountain ranges. look up the number of missing persons thought to be murdered in the east tn area. many of these unsolved murders and missing persons report are thought to be directly tied to drug trafficking and illegal moonshine activity. i think it is important to keep things in perspective...if the snake-handling doesn't kill you; the moonshine will.

Last edited by kingchef; 04-29-2009 at 10:06 AM..

Old 04-29-2009, 02:52 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Forbes lists Memphis at #2
America's Most Dangerous Cities - Forbes.com
Article from the Commercial Appeal
Forbes ranks Memphis second most dangerous city : Local News : Memphis Commercial Appeal

Old 04-29-2009, 03:00 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,377,196 times
Miami was #3. Gee, can't imagine what crazy would want to live there!

Old 04-30-2009, 07:20 AM

235 posts, read 1,357,497 times
Pearl Bob,
You said that the Tchulahoma Dr. and Capleville Rd./Shelby Dr. was in "Hickory Hill" or very close to (like you say about any area in South Memphis that is on the east side of MEM. Heck, you even said that about an area in East Memphis!

For coachphillips41,

I would suggest you get out of that area. I don't even like going there in the day...kinda scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis