Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 04:08 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,184,928 times

Advertisements

I will be in Memphis for two nights and one full day. This would be Friday and Saturday night on Mem. Day weekend, departing very early Sunday morning.

I plan on seeing the expected spots associated with Music and Civil Rights.

1) Lorraine Hotel musuem
2) Beale Street
3) Sun Studio
4) maybe Graceland (not really an Elvis fan, but just to see it)
5) and maybe that Stax Museum

Breakfast

Haha..my most burning question first....early breakfast. I believe "who meets the dawn owns the day" so, as an early riser, would be looking at a VERY early breakfast. 7 AM, 6 AM or earlier. Any good early or 24 hour diner or mom-n-pop places that serve breakfast. ESPECIALLY on Sunday after I leave the hotel.

Music
I am a live music fan so of course expectations is that Beale Street is the place, but what night would be better...Friday or Saturday?

AND are there scenes beyond Beale? Say neighborhoods beyond downtown that have music or sort-of entertainment districts? Any local bands you'd like me to catch (I like country rock/Americana and folk/acoustic, and bluegrass, and am particularly interested in your local original rock/alternative music)

Downtown

I plan on staying downtown. Don't know what hotel yet, but I prefer staying in the heart of a city if Im visiting. So, what's downtown like. Restaurants, breakfast, etc. Any old school places that have been around for years? Is downtown fairly safe to walk around in after dark? As I mentioned in my other post I see Memphis sits on a bluff...is there a promenade or walk along that bluff where I can watch the sunset over the Mississippi?

Walkability

As I mentioned I will be based downtown, and see that some of the spots I want to see...Beale, Lorraine Hotel, and Sun Studio are close to downtown. Would they be walkable? I'd be walking during daytime, but am thinking of walking back to my hotel after a night at Beale, so is that safe... and doable after a few beers and some bands?

Getting Around

I imagine traffic isn't too bad. But what about public transit. I see there is a streetcar in town? Is this a good way to get around town. Also, do you have a bikeshare program and is cycling a good way to get around (am thinking of maybe renting a bike). Im also thinking of using public transit, so will be investigating the bus system a bit. I generally like to park the car and get around other ways.

Outlying Areas (but still in the older part of the city)

What would be some of the more interesting in-town neighborhoods outside of Downtown? Im particularly interested in the somewhat more "bohemiam", "hipster", and "yuppie" areas...people buying old houses and fixing them up, places that have some retail and music and restaurants and such?

Coffee and Shopping

I am a big fan of coffee shops. Can you recommend me some good local coffee places. For shopping:
1) bookstores (esp ones with a good local interest section and well-stocked magazine rack)
2) Souvenirs...places that sell postcards and notecards that might have some local theme to them, and gifts or bric-a-brac that have some sort of local theme.

Gay

Finally, I am gay so would like to "check-in" with the local gay community. Is there a neighborhood that is particularly associated with gays and lesbians. Also, I'd be interesting if there are any concentrations of gay bars, more the neighborhood bar type bar, vs the big danceclub bar.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing Memphis. I will arriving via interstate south from Cairo, ILL, so will be coming into Memphis from across the Mississippi, seems to be a good entry into town...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 05:18 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,258,491 times
Breakfast
The Arcade in downtown (540 S Main) opens at 7 am 7 days per week Contact Us
The Blue Plate Cafe also downtown (113 Court Ave) I think opens at 6 am but call to check.

Neighborhoods w/ live music
Cooper-Young's Young Avenue Deli: Upcoming Events – Young Avenue Deli : Cooper-Young, Memphis
Overton Square's Lafayette's Music Room: Memphis Restaurant & Bar | Lafayette's Music Room
Crosstown's The Hi Tone: Hi Tone | 412 N Cleveland Memphis, TN 38104
Huey's in Midtown often has live music but you might need to call and check into that for when you wanna go.

Gay Stuff
Spectrum is the typical gay club (600 Marshal Ave) in the Edge District
The Pumping Station is a gay bar (1382 Poplar) in Crosstown. It's hard to find - it's adjacent to the yellow Dunn's building
Dru's is a bit more divey bar (1474 Madison) in Midtown
Mollie Fontaine Lounge in Victorian Village (679 Adams) is heavily attended by the gays but also hosts all other folks too

Walkability in Downtown
Beale Street & the Lorraine (South Main) are definitely walkable and safe. Sun Studio is walkable for the intrepid adventurer who understands that Memphis is a gritty city. Going towards Sun Studio, the sidewalks are busted, there are several abandoned and derelict buildings and you will likely encounter some "street folks." It is also a fairly long walk. I would not recommend walking from Sun Studio to Downtown approaching darkness or after dark. Get an Uber or rent a car. (Also, downtown hotels sometimes have a shuttle to Graceland... fyi)

Outlying Areas
I wouldn't recommend exploring too far off the beaten path in Memphis. Neighborhoods can be dangerous (truly dangerous) to folks who are ignorant of where they are traveling, especially on foot or by bike. If I were you I'd rent a car. The bus system is notoriously not so great. The trolly/trolly bus system doesn't take you outside downtown and the Medical district. My two cents is explore Downtown and Crosstown/Overton Square/Midtown with the limited time you have. If you like exploring and want to see other areas (Orange Mound, Soulsville, etc.) then definitely rent a car.

Downtown stuff you might need to see:
Earnestine & Hazel's (531 S Main) in South Main
Paula & Raiford's Disco

Midtown stuff that are favorites of mine:
The Blue Monkey (bar; 2012 Madison) for a dive bar
Side Street Grill (bar and grill; 31 Florence St.) for a laid back atmosphere

For more ideas
Memphis News and Events | Memphis Flyer
I Love Memphis

Last edited by jabogitlu; 04-03-2017 at 05:47 PM..

Old 04-04-2017, 07:18 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,917,750 times
Don't forget the tour of the Gibson Guitar Factory - Gibson Factory Tours
The Memphis Rock & Soul Museum - https://www.memphisrocknsoul.org/
You can find some but not all of the bands playing in town - Find Upcoming Memphis Live Concerts, Tour Dates, Festivals, Tickets and Music Recommendations for Memphis, TN

Try out Chris Gales at Jerry Lawler's club on Beale - https://www.keyofcg.com/blog

Old 04-04-2017, 07:29 AM

737 posts, read 1,918,667 times
https://outmemphis.org/resources/nightlife/

Located in Cooper Young, one of the higher concentrations of gay folk in town. Although, I don't consider Memphis to have a specific "area" like in other metro cities. The few nightlife places listed on their site are ironically not located in Cooper Young. Mollie Fontaine's and Raiford's are very good suggestion as well.

CY also has Burke's books, I believe the oldest bookstore in town, although it's moved around a bit. Java Cabana coffee is in CY and Otherlands is nearby as well (Otherlands is very well known and quite large).

The trolleys are not running right now and I would not rely on public transit. You can get a cab or Uber for pretty cheap here. There are also free shuttles that run between most of the major tourist attractions.

The most interesting areas of midtown in terms of beautiful old homes and revitalization are Cooper Young, Overton Square area, Crosstown, Broad Ave area (although the commercial street is not near the residential area, hard to explain), and Central Gardens is more than revitalized but has large expensive homes that are very beautiful. But as someone mentioned, I wouldn't be out walking around anywhere especially at night, even in the better areas. Lots of crime here and people walking around can stick out like a sore thumb. Stick to the high traffic areas if you are walking.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:30 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,401,243 times
Regarding views of the river. Yes, we have a riverwalk downtown, but if you have a car, I recommend seeing the view from Mud Island and its park. Just a 5 min drive from the main part of downtown, just behind the giant Bass Pro Pyramid.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:07 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,494,940 times
On Sun Studio- there is a free shuttle from Beale. I believe it also goes to Graceland.

Also, 901Fest will be happening along the riverfront that Saturday, closing out the Memphis in May festival. There will be live, mostly local, music there.

The closest thing to a gayborhood in Memphis is Cooper-Young, but it's pretty diverse and low key.

For coffee downtown, check out Tamp on Tap on Gayoso Ave. For a bit more, Cafe Pontotoc in South Main (walkable from Beale) has a great brunch on the weekend.

Finally, if you don't want to drive, Lyft and Uber are great options to get around.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
Regarding views of the river. Yes, we have a riverwalk downtown, but if you have a car, I recommend seeing the view from Mud Island and its park. Just a 5 min drive from the main part of downtown, just behind the giant Bass Pro Pyramid.
If you want to go to Mud Island, there is a suspended monorail the runs from Downtown to the museum, which is in the park. There is also a walkway above it if you don't want to pay the $4

Old 04-11-2017, 04:15 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,184,928 times
Thank you all for the tips. Memphis sounds great...bon temps roulez kind of place! I think I am going to enjoy my visit!

Been thinking of a hotel called "The Madison", has what looks like a great rooftop bar/lounge. Is this in an ok part of downtown...this looks like perhaps the northern edge of downtown, near that square or plaza? Its a few blocks from Beale, so probably ok to walk.

Here's a question: what do you know about that farmers market on the south side of downtown? On the map it looks like its near some railroad yards or such....looks interesting?

Old 04-11-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Thank you all for the tips. Memphis sounds great...bon temps roulez kind of place! I think I am going to enjoy my visit!

Been thinking of a hotel called "The Madison", has what looks like a great rooftop bar/lounge. Is this in an ok part of downtown...this looks like perhaps the northern edge of downtown, near that square or plaza? Its a few blocks from Beale, so probably ok to walk.

Here's a question: what do you know about that farmers market on the south side of downtown? On the map it looks like its near some railroad yards or such....looks interesting?
The Madison is one of the nicest hotels in town and that part of downtown is fine. You'll be just a short walk down Main St. from Beale and there are some pretty good restaurants along the way like Flight and Local. You can also take the pretend trolley if you'd like (the real ones are supposed to be back later this Fall).

Old 04-12-2017, 01:55 PM

737 posts, read 1,918,667 times
Downtown is very small, you can easily walk from one side to the other. Madison is a great hotel. Peabody is the other one, much more historic, but "old money" feel. Madison is more modern.

The farmer's market is great. If you are a tourist, I don't know how interesting it would be, but good for locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis