Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,723 times

Advertisements

I was born in Memphis and was raised there for about 7 years, until my (military) family moved. We moved back there in 2009 and then moved away again after being there for another year. I know the crime in Memphis awful. I know about all the racial tension. I know politics suck. But I love Memphis. My experiances there were great, I went to a great school that was NOT a private school, had great friends, and lived in a relatively safe area (Germantown). Where ever my family has moved, I have never liked it as much I have liked Memphis. I'm wondering if anyone might think the crime may get better in a about 10 years or so, because I was thinking about moving there when I graduate from college, or even going to college there. My opinion of Memphis is probably a little distorted, because I always lived in a nice area and frequented areas where people took pride in their surroundings and was always well educated because my parents always wanted the best for me. Please tell me what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 02:55 PM

845 posts, read 2,557,567 times
Crime is getting better statistically, but to see the change that most people are hoping for we must improve the city school system. If the school system does not drastically improve crime will not significantly improve. We also need tougher sentencing laws so that we can keep criminals off the street. We have a horrible problem with repeat offenders. I would love to see a 3 strikes law in Tennessee.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:59 PM

52 posts, read 124,687 times
Default Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertate View Post
Crime is getting better statistically, but to see the change that most people are hoping for we must improve the city school system. If the school system does not drastically improve crime will not significantly improve. We also need tougher sentencing laws so that we can keep criminals off the street. We have a horrible problem with repeat offenders. I would love to see a 3 strikes law in Tennessee.
Tigertate is correct . But Memphis needs people like you.
You sound like a great fit for Memphis.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:49 PM

4,332 posts, read 4,938,909 times
Memphis also gets ranked higher because they report ALL crime. A car break-in is a car break-in if they only steal the change in your ash tray. New York City won't take a report unless you lost over $1,000. Director Godwin discussed this topic on the Drake and Zeke morning show.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:54 PM

774 posts, read 2,592,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Memphis also gets ranked higher because they report ALL crime. A car break-in is a car break-in if they only steal the change in your ash tray. New York City won't take a report unless you lost over $1,000. Director Godwin discussed this topic on the Drake and Zeke morning show.
In theory, they report all the crime. However, when our car had the windows broken, the dash ripped apart, stereo stolen along with everything else in the car, the Memphis police wouldn't even come out to our house. We were just advised to turn it in to our insurance company.

Last edited by tigergal; 08-27-2010 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-27-2010, 10:59 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,348,983 times
To review the relevant articles:

Down With Crime - Memphis Daily News - Business, Government, Politics, News, Public Records, Public Notices, Crime Report, Neighborhood Report, Marketing Lists, Research
Serious crime in Memphis declines » The Commercial Appeal
Memphis a victim of crime reports » The Commercial Appeal

I think in some jurisdictions, if there is a series of crimes in the same event, they only report the most serious ones, whereas in Memphis they report all of them, whether it's one or two, or several. If true (and I don't remember where I read it), that's a credit to Memphis, and contributes to higher numbers; distorted compared to other jurisdictions who don't share that reporting technique.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:20 AM

4,332 posts, read 4,938,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
In theory, they report all the crime. However, when our car had the windows broken, the dash ripped apart, stereo stolen along with everything else in the car, the Memphis police wouldn't even come out to our house. We were just advised to turn it in to our insurance company.
I would have gone up the chain of command until someone took a report. I would say that sooner or later the lazy ones like this get fired but I think you need to be caught in Desoto county drinking with an underage girl before you are booted off the Memphis PD.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:45 AM

201 posts, read 639,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballet0214 View Post
I was born in Memphis and was raised there for about 7 years, until my (military) family moved. We moved back there in 2009 and then moved away again after being there for another year. I know the crime in Memphis awful. I know about all the racial tension. I know politics suck. But I love Memphis. My experiances there were great, I went to a great school that was NOT a private school, had great friends, and lived in a relatively safe area (Germantown). Where ever my family has moved, I have never liked it as much I have liked Memphis. I'm wondering if anyone might think the crime may get better in a about 10 years or so, because I was thinking about moving there when I graduate from college, or even going to college there. My opinion of Memphis is probably a little distorted, because I always lived in a nice area and frequented areas where people took pride in their surroundings and was always well educated because my parents always wanted the best for me. Please tell me what you think.

the short answer is NO, and you're living in la-la land, or in an insular place if you think 'crime' in uneducated cities doesn't linger for decades and decades..

just look at how long Detroit has been a cesspool

even NYC was a cesspool for crime for years and years

Oakland ? DC ? Miami ??

look, many residents both black and white can't speak standard American English for godsake

others are mired in a 'fried chicken and BBQ mentality'

still others are holding on to the memories of Elvis.....

wake up man, if the city placed as much emphasis on education and job development as the morons do on touting lousy BBQ, the city could turn themselves around in perhaps one decade......but not likely.....most are too stupid to really focus on the core problem, and do something about it.....

when the people and the leaders stop being stoopid, then crime may decrease......but they can't acknowledge the roots of crime, or how to effectively fight crime in the first place.....Policing is just one component......sentencing requirements are red herrings and bs in the scheme of SOLVING crime issues...not just 'fighting' crime....

if you decide to return to Memphis to live, and you actually think or expect that crime is going to decrease in a lousy 10 years, save your time, money, and expectations, and move somewhere else that has more REALIZED potential in that same time horizon.......and those cities or regions are numerous (in and outside of the south)

Be real, and don't engage in overly wishful thinking....being optimistic can be a good thing, but pragmatism should be paramount.....it is not pragmatic to actually believe that Memphis will 'solve' or even lessen its huge crime problem in a meager 10 year timeframe.....won't happen...it hasn't happened in any other comparable metro enviroment....

Old 08-28-2010, 09:48 AM

61,254 posts, read 87,807,585 times
i got family in memphis area, go there often. memphis, detroit and new orleans need to take lessons from atlanta.
there is a right way to do it.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:28 AM

278 posts, read 997,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
Did they take a report over the phone? My vehicle was broken into at a retailer on Winchester Rd. They only got a few school books that were hidden under the back seat, which makes me think it was a random target since nothing was visible.
Too bad I didn't come outside while it was happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis