Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 12:54 PM

3 posts, read 13,716 times

Advertisements

Hi all.
We are moving to Maui in about two months! My girls are excited but hesitant. We need advice on: how much it will cost on average to find rental housing (we need for five people and two dogs), where to go to find out reqs for bringing animals to HI, and if anyone knows anything about this "outsiders being unwelcome" that someone warned me about.
Please, please help. Our income will be between $5000 and $7000 a month to start out.
Thanks so much!
Donna and David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 05:01 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,309,931 times
Animal Quarantine Information — Hawaii Department of Agriculture
For Animal Quarantine Information...

Do you know what town/area you will be living in? Those who know the Maui rental market may be better able to direct you to resources if you have a particular part of the island in mind...

As for the "outsiders being unwelcome"...you will find mixed opinions in these threads. My experience has been that, if you come to HI with the right approach (don't be the one saying "but at home we did it this way") and graciously embrace a different pace of life, with time you will find your place in the community here. There may be some realities about island life that will surprise you. But there are also advantages/experiences that you will never replicate anywhere else! Do your research and prepare, but be ready for a few challenges and a learning curve. (One suggestion...as soon as you are able, get your children outside and active...giving them the opportunity to make new friends as soon as possible!)

Old 06-07-2007, 12:29 AM

6 posts, read 19,678 times
First off best of luck to you on your decision to move to this beautiful island. Great insite from the previous posting. It is going to be tough to find a rental if you have dogs. I am sorry, I know thats tough. You may have luck "upcountry" areas like Kula, which is beautiful, but a bit far from everything. There are some nice newer neighborhoods in Wailuku that would be good for kids, and good for location. You would be close to Cosco, Walmart, ect.. and able to head off in any direction to other parts of the island. We pay about $2,600 rent for a four bedroom there. Expect about $250 a month between water and electric.If you want a really nice place to live, close to a gorgeous beach, way over on the westside is Napili. There are some three bedroom condos I see pop up for rent, as well as some houses. Now, mom to mom, we have a HUGE drug problem here. Meth is very big. Also just stress to your kids, its all about respect. I am a half breed married to a white person. My kids were born on the mainland. As I have told them, be respectful, and don't provoke. Tempers run hotter here than ever before. People are bitter over what has become of their island and whats been taken away. Its not you personally, but what you represent. Just be kind and understanding. You should do fine. Have a great adventure!!!!!

Old 06-08-2007, 09:01 AM

3 posts, read 13,716 times
Red face drugs worry me

Hi y'all and thanks so very much for replying.
I don't really know anything about where to look for rental so I was excited to see the areas specifically listed. I'll check on them now. I am concerned about: the problem with meth/drugs being big. It's big here too in Georgia, but we've never really been confronted with it personally. My oldest daughter is 14 and I worry about the influence on her. Do your children go to a public or private school or are they homeschooled?
I'm also concerned about finding rentals with the dogs.
Does "NP" mean No Pets?
I see that a lot.
Thanks, y'all!
Donna

Old 06-09-2007, 01:55 AM

120 posts, read 1,168,093 times
Most people who earn the kind of money your going to be earning on Maui send there kids to private school. You will probably want to do that.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:56 AM

3 posts, read 17,655 times
Hi there everyone, like wavebabe, I am moving with my family to maui, I am very nervouse but yet excited also! I also have 3 children & worry about how the schools are and how they might be treated being new there, and i have 2 dogs, so the thought of having them be in quarantine for so long makes me sad also! But my sister says its soo beautiful there, and that she has met some of the nicest ppl she knows right there in Hawaii, she said she was very welcomed!

Old 06-11-2007, 05:51 PM

If you have or are going to be making a lot of money you will be fine.

The public schools here are not that great. Middle school and High Schools especially.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:43 PM
DBM

92 posts, read 495,567 times
Wavebabe and snow angels

If you start early enough and get all your paperwork in order, you can bring your dogs straight through -- with only a short stop in Honolulu to go through the quarantine office (a couple of hours). The details are on the website above, but essentially you need to make sure all your dogs' shots are in order and have your dogs tested for rabies. The rabies test is the time-senstive one -- you can't do it too early or too late, and it involves shipping a blood sample to one of two labs. We brought our dog over three years ago, and it really wasn't that big a deal -- it just required up front work. Make sure you print out the instructions and give a copy to your local vet -- ours was a real help, partly because I think it was interesting to them.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:38 PM

I think it ends up costing close to if not more than $1000 per dog. Its about 6 months worth of work to get them ready.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:47 PM

3 posts, read 17,655 times
Thank you all for the info. it was very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui