Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 06:54 PM

19 posts, read 49,552 times

Advertisements

Aloha Maui!,

My name is Frank, my wife’s name is Shelley. I’m newly retired law enforcement (chose early retirement) and my wife is an R.N, and at another time in her life, a pretty sought after model in Los Angeles. She’s beautiful, inside and out, her light shines huge! Before Shelley became a nurse and,she made a pretty good living waiting tables, many times making more in a month than I would as a full time peace officer. For the last three years we’ve been planning this move. Right down to having our small dogs paperwork in order to facilitate direct release. We’re both 50 years old and very fit. We’ve got a guaranteed monthly salary of about $2600.00 per month and we’re coming over with about $25,000.00 to start. I’m an avid diver and we both enjoy outdoor everything. As a young man I’ve done just about everything growing up on a large cattle ranch entails. I’m NOT looking to work in security or law enforcement at all. It’s personal, but let’s just say I’d rather have my soul and not lose touch with all that is good and beautiful in this world, enough said there. My idea of a good job? You’ll laugh, but here goes, I want to work a boat crew, snorkel or scuba shop. Maybe a couple of part time jobs that would supplement with bills and entertainment and allow Shelley and I to get out and play in ways we might not. Perks sound cool... Shelley of course would be pursuing her career as an RN, and is hoping to get picked up quickly, but for awhile would love to wait tables until that comes along. We’ll be journaling our adventure from the day we board the plane and seeing where that takes us as well. Letting go of the rope, the scariest, most exciting thing...time to live...right now, this minute.

We’d thought we’d start in Kihei, and possibly start at a condo/vacation rental the first month or two, ‘till we find our place. We tend to make friends fairly quickly and would like to be around people that are in the same boat we are. It would be nice to have at least a community pool and area where people bbq and gather. Are there any condo’s in Kihei that allow small, very well behaved dogs with past references? Our dog will be staying home with family for a couple of months until we find suitable accommodations for all. We’re not looking to sign a lease right away and I hate to say we won’t, but I don’t see that happening. We’d like to be flexible in the first month or two to find something we really like. We figure we can deal with anything for a month, but getting stuck in a lease we don’t want, isn’t the way we want to begin this journey. We love Kauai too, but it seems that there’s more going on in Maui with folks our own age and we just know the island better. Where do most of the new transplants start out? Kihei just seems a good place as we can ride bicycles everywhere in town and keep fuel costs down. I’m always seeing jobs in the local CL and have been in Maui several times when it seemed like these kind of jobs were a dime a dozen. Seems a good hand that shows up smiling and loving what he does might not have too difficult a time finding work. Any dive shop managers or owners reading this letter, we’ll be on island February, 2013. I’m a certified diver, fit, professional and have had a paying job since I was 8 years old lol. I don’t care where I’m working, sales in the store, loading tanks, or upgrading my certification to be able to lead dive or snorkeling tours, I don’t care. I’m open and happy to start anywhere I can. To any interested employers or property managers, please contact us, we’d love to talk to you, and will gladly provide references or pictures upon request. Also, anyone reading this that has any good information regarding good property managers, good places to start out, please chime in. It’s crunch time for us. We could use all the helpful advice we can get.

I’d love to hear from some of you over there that have recently done this move. 3 years planning and now it’s time. Lots of stuff to sell, we’re not bringing much, a car and some personal photos. If there are any prospective home owners out there that see this post, we would certainly entertain the idea of partial work for rent exchange. We have good credit and a lifetime of references. February 2013 is fast closing, can’t wait to meet you all, until then...

Aloha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 07:05 PM

337 posts, read 615,987 times
If you're going to be looking around in Kihei side for long term Pali Kai Realty do those, last I spoke with them about this time of the year they had 6 months lease for the shortest. Bello Realty in the office next to mine does vacation rentals. I was able to find a client of mine a short term rental going through another Realtor in town, her name was Donna Ting. I don't handle property management myself so those are the Realtors I refer people too. But those are a few places to start.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:29 PM

18,477 posts, read 19,125,278 times
here is a list of condos that allow pets. some allow only cats. good luck
Maui condos that allow pets| Pet friendly condos on Maui| move to Maui with pet

Old 01-05-2013, 12:03 PM

Thanks for the help, appreciate it very much. As far as a least goes, we don't mind signing one as long as we are there to do so, after we've really looked at a place together, in person lol, then we'll sign. Just have read to many horror stories about folks being stuck in a bad situation they signed up for over the phone...I'm looking at a few rentals on VRBO, and hoping to strike a deal with someone there if we stay for a month. That should give us more than enough time to search, look and find a place that works. Worse case, we hole up in a Days Inn for a couple of weeks and get out and find a place. I googled Donna Ting and will be calling her later today. Thanks again for looking!

Old 01-05-2013, 04:16 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,552,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankinztine View Post
Worse case, we hole up in a Days Inn for a couple of weeks and get out and find a place.
Just a little reality check... if you are thinking about holing up in THE Day's Inn on Maui (there are really not an abundance of motels in the islands), for their cheapest room it's probably going to run you about $2,500 for 2 weeks in February, plus 13.21% tax. Just so you're prepared.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:29 AM

Yes, thanks OD, think I said, worse case. Thanks for the pep talk though...

Old 01-06-2013, 12:15 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,106,671 times
You probably know that RN work is limited, and with only the one hospital (and a small branch), if they don't like you, that's it. And many of the outdoorsy jobs are taken by 20-year olds.

Just as long as you guys are OK financially if neither works, you'll be fine.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:35 PM

52 posts, read 90,414 times
Default ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
You probably know that RN work is limited, and with only the one hospital (and a small branch), if they don't like you, that's it. And many of the outdoorsy jobs are taken by 20-year olds.

Just as long as you guys are OK financially if neither works, you'll be fine.
Sparrow are you also in nursing? You seemed to have such specific info, I just wondered....I am an LPN with 20 yrs experience...in the pre-planning stages of a Maui move (well it's been about 4 years now) Do you have any other NURSE specific advice? I will be losing my job at the end of the year (civil service/correctional health) and after that looking to move.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:14 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,106,671 times
bnjforever, yes, it is one of the things I do. Have researched, not a resident. You may have more luck as an LPN. Clinics like Kaiser and doctor's offices tend to hire LPN's. Have never seen a corrections position; they seem to be exclusive to Oahu. State Dept of Health jobs seem to focus on public health, may be only RN's? Maui Medical Center is the big cheese. They have open enrollment jobs they list continually, so don't know if those openings are real. HireNet Hawaii also lists for Maui, plus the State site. Federal nursing jobs are all on Oahu. There is temp work, home care, flu shot seasonal work, etc., too. There are also jobs on Lanai and Molokai (part of Maui County) if you're willing to commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui