Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 11:29 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,686,327 times

Advertisements

Aloha everyone
We are getting ready to mive our bussiness from Oregon to Maui.
I am shipping one car and one truck also some tools and houseold items.
Does anyone know what shipping lines are the most economical to use as far as shipping cars?
Also would it be cheaper to buy power tools rather than ship them?
Mahalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 02:08 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,609,897 times
Click on the "Search this forum" icon, type in the word "shipping". There are six pages of comments on the subject.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:47 PM

Default Shipping

Thank you leianiguy!
I found all the shipping info
Mahalo RJ

Old 01-19-2009, 12:57 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,101,478 times
Depending on the power tools you are looking for, if they are contractor type you should be able to find tons of them available on Craig's List these days. All the remaining contractors are shedding excess tools and the ones bailing out to the mainland are just giving stuff away. My DH picked up a contractor's trailer for free two weeks ago since they just left it in storage when they left and they didn't want to pay the storage fees to keep it anymore. It has workbench, chop saw, generator and tools along with the trailer. I'm still trying to figure out if there's any place to park a really small bulldozer somewhere, since it would be great fun to have one. The prices are getting low enough maybe we can have one sometime.

Other than Craig's List, the garage sales have been having tons of tools at them for the past year.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:51 PM

Aloha hotzcatz
Thank for the info, I tried to send you a DM and it did not go thru ?
I will get this site figured out sooner or later maybe sooner lol!
Mahalo ,
RJ

Old 01-21-2009, 07:42 PM

200 posts, read 1,022,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
Aloha everyone
We are getting ready to mive our bussiness from Oregon to Maui.
I am shipping one car and one truck also some tools and houseold items.
Does anyone know what shipping lines are the most economical to use as far as shipping cars?
Also would it be cheaper to buy power tools rather than ship them?
Mahalo
You need power tools....I hear that 2 plumbing shops are closing doors and the 2 largest contractors are cutting staff by 25% in the next week. I dont think I can mention names on here....so you might have to check around when you get here....or check craigslist. I might be selling mine in the very near future. We are heading back to Calif most likely within 60 days. I envy you coming out with your business. These are some really hard times here and the 'good ole' boys who have been here for years and working steadily are really hurting right now. The locals generally take care of each other when it comes to maintenance type work (plumbing, electrical, remodels, etc) and the shops that are here are really tightening down and making sure they don't lose any work.

I'm not sure coming out with very few clients is wise....but again, I respect your ambition. Just remember....it's very old school here and very hard to obtain new accounts as everyone knows everyone here and they usually are very loyal to each other. If I am still here when you arrive, I would be happy to assist in anyway I can. Good luck

Old 01-21-2009, 09:10 PM

Aloha maui08,
Sounds like its getting pretty tough over there, well it's no better here believe me!
I have always been known to be a bit crazy in a good way so we are coming anyway I might as well be miserable in the sun
Can you turn your Direct message option on and I will send you my email?
I am still getting work here, but it is only because I know a lot of people. There are a lot of builders going BK here but the good news is the glass is ''half full'' for some of us that have been thru similar times. I was in the big real estate crash in the late 80's in SoCal but with the help of associates and friends I made it thru without having Top Ramen as a main course for dinner lol!
We just have to keep a positive outlook on life and find ways to prevail
Mahalo,
RJ

Last edited by boodhabunny; 01-21-2009 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: puncuation

Old 02-01-2009, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 9,293 times
Hi all! Hopefully someone can help me- I need to have some big furniture items shipped to Maui from Los Angeles, asap. If anyone has space in their crate or know of anyone that maight be able to share some space, I would totally be ever so grate-full! Thanks

Old 02-01-2009, 10:27 PM

Aloha Goreously Green,
There was a guy looking to share a container from LA two weeks ago on this site, try the search mode for shipping if you dont have any luck let me know and I will try to find him for you.
Also I noticed a person on Craigs list last week asking about the same thing.
Aloha,
Rick & Debra

Old 02-02-2009, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 9,293 times
Thanks, but I wasn't able to find him - I checked craigs list but no much came up other than moving company stuff..... I totally appreciate your help! If you find the guy who was looking to share a container..... I'd love to try contact him.
Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui