Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2008, 12:21 PM

24 posts, read 162,201 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Can you send me some info. on Kihei Hawaii. What is it like living there,
doctors, hospitals, public trans. shopping, entertainment. Anything would
be appreciated. Also how bad is the humidity?
Much Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 02:32 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,898,996 times
GoHawaii has a reasonably good profile of Kihei at Profile of Kihei, Maui - Maui's Sunny South Shore There is also a link near the bottom of the article for a page with links to several Kihei photos. If you haven't looked at it already, City-Data's profile is here: https://www.city-data.com/city/Kihei-Hawaii.html

There is no hospital in Kihei. (The only hospital on Maui is in Kahului.) There are clinics and doctors' offices and an urgent care center with limited services. We have several friends who live there, but we live on the other side of Maui, so I have only a passing knowledge of Kihei. It has beautiful beaches, a nice assortment of shops/stores/restaurants, fairly dense population (for Maui), and has a combination of full-time residents and resort accommodations.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:47 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,577,701 times
Kihei is great!!!!! Hardly any traffic on Kihei Road, everyone is very friendly, food prices are reasonable, there's no bank here, so you either have to drive into Kahului or Wailuku to cash a check, or Azekas Store will cash the check if you spend 10% of it in the store, and with the famous Azekas Kalbi Ribs, how can you go wrong!!!! Hardly any people on the beaches, reefs are great for snorkeling, they're trying to get a permit to build an Intercontinental Hotel down on the beach in Wailea, doubt if they'll get one, what with the shoreline setback rules and all. Just put a $10,000.00 down payment on a one bedroom condo right above Kamaole Beach One, my Uncle, who's a real estate broker in the SF Bay Area thinks I'm nuts, total price is some $52,000, 700 SF with a 200 SF lanai with a view of Kahoolawe and Molokini. Yep, you can't beat Kihei!!!!!
I wrote my parents a letter, well, something like that, in 1975, after having been here for a short time.

Kihei, present tense. Traffic is terrible, absolutely beyond belief some of the time, fire truck making it's way south on Kihei Road the other day actually got stuck in traffic. There's way too many people for Kihei's existing road system, which hasn't changed in well over 25 years, while the population has at least quadrupled. Tourists, many of them, are just downright rude. Construction on projects right on Kihei Road, goes on and on and on. There's hardly a vacant piece of land on Kihei road that hasn't been developed yet, yet, mauka of the highway there are literally 1000's of acres of undeveloped land, you'ld think common sense would dictate that one would spread out the housing, shopping centers, etc. They were pushing for a hospital in Kihei, which could really use one, somehow the powers that be at Maui Memorial put a stop to that. We have no high school, and could really use one. In short, this ain't Kihei anymore, I know we would all like to turn back the clock sometimes, and I'ld take 1975 Kihei over the "newer and improved version", any day of the week. Best of luck!!

BTW, as wacky as Kihei has gotten, I still can't imagine living anywhere else...

Aloha and okolemaluna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui