Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,552 times

Advertisements

Aloha! This is my first post. My husband and I are yet another couple seriously considering relocating to Maui after visiting many times and falling in love with the island.

I have read a fair bit on these forums about the supposed poor medical care on Maui and in Hawaii in general and was hoping to get some more comprehensive feedback from those of you who live and have lived on the island. What has your experience been? What in particular has been good or bad about the medical system on the island? If you would be reluctant to seek care on Maui, why?

Additionally, if anyone is a physician at Maui Memorial Medical Center or knows someone who is, I would really appreciate you sending me a PM, as I would like to establish some contacts at the hospital and get more detailed feedback.

Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 07:37 PM

80 posts, read 194,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBadger View Post
Aloha! This is my first post. My husband and I are yet another couple seriously considering relocating to Maui after visiting many times and falling in love with the island.

I have read a fair bit on these forums about the supposed poor medical care on Maui and in Hawaii in general and was hoping to get some more comprehensive feedback from those of you who live and have lived on the island. What has your experience been? What in particular has been good or bad about the medical system on the island? If you would be reluctant to seek care on Maui, why?

Additionally, if anyone is a physician at Maui Memorial Medical Center or knows someone who is, I would really appreciate you sending me a PM, as I would like to establish some contacts at the hospital and get more detailed feedback.

Mahalo!
I was helping take care of an old man who got ventilator acquired pneumonia post heart attack while I was there. I was a little shocked they did not give him an incentive spirometer to improve his breathing. It is like a small town, you have no choice other than to get care.

He is ok, but I think there are many homeopathic people on the island that are fully against modern medicine and that may play a role with the unsatisfaction of a general hospital
What is your occupation?

Old 12-08-2013, 09:58 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
on maui even doctors and nurses are not paid what they would be on the mainland, which is why "great" doctors don't stay for long or come at all. the hospital doesn't have the latest equipment for all medical issues or people to run them. which is why when a medical emergency comes up that they can't handle you are sent to Oahu, where there is access to better health care, meaning a better variety of equipment and people who have the education, skill to treat the problem.

that isn't to say that we don't have some great caring doctors, nurses and other health care professionals because we do. depending on your needs you will be able to get care here. for specialty needs it is more likely you will have to seek treatment on Oahu.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:06 AM

80 posts, read 194,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
on maui even doctors and nurses are not paid what they would be on the mainland, which is why "great" doctors don't stay for long or come at all. the hospital doesn't have the latest equipment for all medical issues or people to run them. which is why when a medical emergency comes up that they can't handle you are sent to Oahu, where there is access to better health care, meaning a better variety of equipment and people who have the education, skill to treat the problem.

that isn't to say that we don't have some great caring doctors, nurses and other health care professionals because we do. depending on your needs you will be able to get care here. for specialty needs it is more likely you will have to seek treatment on Oahu.
I learned about this in my final semester of nursing school.
There is something called a DRG which is a set payment that covers hospital stay, room, nursing pay, and other services. This is something that needs to be altered for location, but its not..

In a place like Texas(Where I am from) they have a lower overhead. Lower minimum wage so overall people can get more for their money. Better equipment, pay for cost of living, etc.
Standard of living vs pay is lower(depending on factor you consider value toward your standard of living)

MMMC is improving their trauma capabilities, they just became a level 2 trauma center.. There are some procedures they cannot or wont do such as an Implantable cardioverter-defibrillator + pacemaker combination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui