Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2007, 07:32 AM

66 posts, read 233,609 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are very, very carefully planning our relocation to Maui. We have visited the islands many times and are have done much research on this topic. I am aware of the positives and the negatives of a move of this magnitude. We currently live in Georgia and have a strong southern accent. I believe that this may be one of the biggest obstacles that we will have to face. Does anyone think that this may be an issue for us? Also, when we relocate, we want to live in a safe condo complex. We have done a lot of research on many different areas of Maui, and we have chosen the area of South Kihei. Some of the places that we are thinking of is Kihei Shores, and Keonekai Villages. If anyone knows anything about these ares, I would greatly appreciate any information. Mahalo

Last edited by scirocco22; 09-14-2007 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: hijacking thread ...split and created new thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 02:23 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,589,931 times
Your accent isn't going to make any difference if you move here, but your attitude sure will. I drive by Keonakai Villages every day, have subcontracted on similar projects, nice location above Kamaole 3, large park/lawn open space on the north side. Only drawback in my opinion would be that it's constructed out of wood, and if you're downstairs and your upstairs neighbors are a little "heavy footed" you'll always know where they are. Not to sure about Kihei Shores. I'm at the Kihei Alii Kai, older complex, but all concrete, with a great pool, jacussi, tennis courts and BBQ, 4 minute walk to the beach. South Kihei is fine, but the traffic is absolutely lolo. Best of luck!

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 09-17-2007, 07:06 AM

66 posts, read 233,609 times
Thanks Jungjohann for the information. I guess we are probably like everyone else that relocates to Hawaii, and think that our "attitude" is great and we have an open mind and are accepting of other people's culture. I am hoping that we aren't thinking that "the grass is greener on the other side ". Until you are in a particular situation or setting, one really never knows how it will effect them. Until then, it is mere speculation. We are very hard working people. My wife is a school teacher, and I am a registered nurse. I have more concerns about my wife and how she will be treated on her job than myself. Anyone had any experiences as a "knew" teacher and nurse on Maui?

Old 09-17-2007, 02:04 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,589,931 times
Your wife and yourself might want to learn a little Hawaiian, in your wifes case it would impress the kids in her classroom. Nothing like having a local kid call you something in Hawaiian, and you can snap back at em with something like, "maluhia alika akamai", quiet, smart alec! Another condo you may want to consider is the Kamaole Sands, right across from Kamaole Beach Park, get a higher floor unit up in the back, would be fairly quiet. All concrete, fairly new, and prices are coming down.

Aloha and okolemaluna

Last edited by Jungjohann; 09-17-2007 at 02:51 PM..

Old 01-21-2009, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,599 times
I'm reading this post, and am very curious as to how your relocation has gone? I'm assuming you hae already made the move. I'm asking because my husband has been offered a job near Maalaea. We are from Oklahoma, so this would be a huge life changing event for us. Any information you have would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 01-21-2009, 09:02 PM

156 posts, read 806,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Another condo you may want to consider is the Kamaole Sands, right across from Kamaole Beach Park, get a higher floor unit up in the back, would be fairly quiet. All concrete, fairly new, and prices are coming down.

Aloha and okolemaluna
This - higher floor unit up in the back - is important, inner Kamaole Sands units VERY noisy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: