Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:33 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,083,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsbadJames View Post
It is a little high but when you have 100 other just as important things to keep track of and do, it is nice to have a professional handle it to ensure nothing goes wrong. I can see the benefits of both hiring and DIY.
Whatever you do - start the process now. You have to have 2 original ink rabies certificates and wait 120 days from the time gets the rabies blood tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 05:37 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,198,809 times
If you can roughly decide on an area you'd like to base yourself out of, then look into getting a P.O. Box number at the post office. Also open a bank account or credit union account. Make a list of all the apartment buildings you'd find acceptable to live in, list the ones you'd prefer not to live in, too. Make a lot of notes and lists while you wander around.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:46 PM

12 posts, read 26,754 times
I thought the same thing about $250 per pet being expensive and started out doing it myself. The very first thing I did was a $300 mistake! I looked at it as an insurance policy as I wouldn't be able to handle it if my dogs spent even one day in quarantine. For a $20,000 move, the $500 for peace of mind at the airport was well worth it!

Old 12-07-2011, 07:06 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,083,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvnKona View Post
I thought the same thing about $250 per pet being expensive and started out doing it myself. The very first thing I did was a $300 mistake! I looked at it as an insurance policy as I wouldn't be able to handle it if my dogs spent even one day in quarantine. For a $20,000 move, the $500 for peace of mind at the airport was well worth it!
Well, do tell so others can avoid the mistake - how did you do a $300 mistake? It's 2 rabies test where you need the orignal ink signatures, blood test, check website they got the blood test and date you can arrive, book flights - reserve for pet, fed ex forms more than 10 days prior to arrival, health certificate/flea-tick treatment within 10 days, pick up at the airport.....

Old 12-08-2011, 03:00 AM

18 posts, read 42,110 times
Quote:
$250 a pet seems really high for something you can do relatively easy on your own. It isn't a difficult process.
This is actually a really good price. I moved my two cats to Oahu a few months ago and when I was pricing these services they were all in the $500-1000 price range. I ended up doing it myself and it worked out just fine. But you're right, it's not difficult, however it was tedious and stressful since I had to move here before the 120 day waiting period had elapsed so I had to rely on others to take care of the last vet visit and crate preparation for their flight.

I would guess that the $300 mistake was getting the blood test before all the vaccines were up to date, then needing to redo it.. ?

Old 12-08-2011, 11:01 PM

12 posts, read 26,754 times
Nope, the mistake was booking my non refundable airline ticket on an airline that doesn't take short nosed dogs. When I mentioned it to Ruth, she immediately told me the only airline (United) and flight (first one in morning) that was an option for us.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:11 PM

62 posts, read 207,304 times
Aloha!

In Maui now on vacation and I gotta say, it is nothing short of amazing. I definitely think I need to move here. Scoping out all the different areas and making notes on what areas to focus on. Chatting it up with the locals as well for tips and ideas.

What a great island! Appreciate the tips/advice in this thread.

Mahalo!

Old 02-08-2012, 12:03 AM

9 posts, read 17,130 times
I just shipped my Jeep Patriot from Oakland to Kahului last month via Guardian Moving and Storage and it was $875 - would have been the same price out of Long Beach in SoCal. Most places quoted me $1000 or so, so definitely call around and indicate that you're price-shopping. Particularly with shipping your Jeep AND a motorcyle, they may be inclined to give you the better deal to get the business. Interestingly enough, I was quoted more than $875 by Matson directly, but did not call them back after getting the $875 quote to see if they would match it. But nearly every place I spoke to specifically told me if I found a lower price elsewhere, they would match it...so it would be worth asking Matson the same simply because - depending on who you use - they'll likely be shipping your vehicle anyway.

Pickup in Kahului was easy as pie. One car wash later, and I'm happy as a clam.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,276 times
My 2 cents .... I have lived in Encinitas, next door to James, for most of the past 23 years. I lived on Maui for 6 months and spent 2-3 days a week at Little Beach so I am also familiar with Makena. The "Makena cloud" is nothing I remember as a problem for me. On the other hand, June Gloom in North County San Diego lasts all summer (and starts well before June most years) and is pretty much a daily occurrence. I tell people who come from out of town and complain about the weather that the sun will probably come out at 2PM and I've never been wrong. They think I'm psychic or something LOL.

James, if you need anyone to help when you mov or a live-in RN or housekeeper, let me know! I am also considering a move to Hawaii soon and don't know if I can afford it unless I can find a job and a place to stay from the mainland. Just joking ... sorta ..... :-D

Old 02-15-2012, 12:04 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,198,809 times
Open a bank account while you are on island since the mainland banks don't have branches over here. You can use a mainland address to start and then change the address once you have one here. You can also look at mailbox services and open a local post box, use that address on the checks and have them forward your mail until you move over here. Having local checks and addresses makes renting apartments and such easier.

You could also scope out what furniture and appliances are available. It might be easier to not have to ship as much stuff, especially when there's some already here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui