Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:57 AM

27 posts, read 67,809 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a few quick opinions:

I have been to Hawaii many times, I love the culture, the food, the sun, the gardens, but most the laid back lifestyle. I currently live in Alaska and find the two places very similar in culture and lifestyle.

I have been trying for months to get a job in Hawaii and kept reading "you will never find a job"

I few weeks ago I was offered a job in Sarasota Florida at a Dr.'s office (I am a medical biller) I accepted starting at 15 an hour and full bennies. Then out of the blue last week I have a call from a Dr.s office on Maui I had applied to a while ago. They are willing to match my Florida offer....however my concern is that I am a single mom that raises a 13 year old girl on one income. The cost of living is much cheaper in FL than HI, but it is my dream to live in Hawaii. I just don't know what to do.

This is what I have done. I counter offered the Dr. this week and should hear back today, due to the cost of living on Maui I was asking for $20.00 but would settle at my lowest for $17.50. All he can say is no right? What do I have to loose? (my job in Hawaii). I backed this up with a lot of internet research stating the living wage for one adult and one child on Maui is $18.76.

I feel this is the most responsible thing to do and not set myself up for failure or hard times. If he says no I will probably go to Florida, if he says yes to the higher pay Maui here we come!!!

I guess I am curious to hear from people living on Maui on one income. Do you think my stats are right do you think I am making the right decision. Could I survive off $15 an hour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 10:31 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,861 times
Get the offer in writing.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:40 PM

820 posts, read 3,034,996 times
It's a hard question to answer because we don't know how you like to, or need to live. If you are frugal and don't spend a lot, obviously you need a lot less than if you need or want more of the luxuries.

The short answer is that many people live here on that, but they are probably sharing costs in some way. That is, rent an ohana and some part of the utilities are share. Or maybe have a roommate. Or share rides to work sometimes.

Let's assume you take one week off a year, but you get paid vacation (check on that). Figures below rounded, and based on the websites noted - I'm not an accountant or tax prep pro, so you should verify the numbers.

$15/hour x 40 hours a week x 52 weeks = $31,200. before taxes

Your Hawaii state income tax rate would be 7.6% = $2,371
(Hawaii Income Tax Rates - Hawaii & other state tax rates information. HI tax calculator.)

Federal income tax would be $4,681.
1040.com - Tax Rates

You are left with $24,148.
Let's go low with other expenses, maybe some are shared costs:
Rent - $800/month = $9,600.
Phone - $40/month = $480.
Cable/internet - $100/month = $1200.
Electric - $50/month = $600.
Assume water & garbage is a part of rent

You are down to $12,268.

Food & gasoline - depends on how you will eat, and how far to go to work, or where you take your daughter to school.

Car payment? Is your car paid off?
Car insurance - How's your driving record?
Healthcare - any health conditions that require regular meds?

Entertainment - just like anywhere, if you are willing to put that last, and you'll find plenty to do here for free.

Clothing,
Household purchases,
Your daughters activities (sports, hobbies, etc.)

I say put together a list and start calculating. My personal philosophy is that it is worth the attempt, if it really is important to you. If you find you can't give up going out to eat, going to expensive entertainment, spending a lot on clothes & jewelry & other non-necessities... then those things are more important to you than where you live. That's not bad, it's just the facts.

Last edited by Calico Salsa; 05-16-2011 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: Upped the cable/internet from $50/month to $100/month

Old 05-16-2011, 01:48 PM

101 posts, read 249,519 times
Default Fantastic Advice!

That is great advice but the cable/internet seemed a little low, especially if you are paying for both. You might be able to get one or the other for $50/month, but not both.

Everything else looked great though. Very nice to see the numbers like that.

Only other thing I have to add is, go for it! We rarely regret that we tried. I'd rather try and fail that wonder what if.

VERY best of luck to you! Let us know what happens!

Old 05-16-2011, 02:03 PM

Thanks, and good catch. I edited the post to make the cable/internet $100/month instead of only $50/month.

I figure they need both with a daughter in school, and to communicate with everyone they leave behind.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:21 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Electric seems a bit low, too, depending on if they have any electric device that heats things such as a stove or water heater. An air conditioner would triple that number, I'd expect. A cellphone plan with two phones on it is also likely to be a bit higher, but as long as there is a place to put in a number, she should be able to customize the list to her living conditions. Do you think credit card payments should be listed in there? Annual airfare to the mainland or does the daughter not visit the father? Each person's budget is going to be pretty customized, though, but that's a good general start.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:30 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
I love the way people come here asking for help with questions and BLAM! they get answers.
You guys are awesome!

Old 05-16-2011, 05:43 PM

27 posts, read 67,809 times
Thank you for all the responses, I am hoping to hear back tonight...I can't wait!!! Rent is my biggest concern I have been looking on craigslist and watching the paper and I can rarely find a two bedroom below $1100. I notice in the calculations above (which are awesome!!!) you mention $800, that seems rather low to me. In fact that is lower than what I pay here. If I can find a place to live for $800 it would be a dream come true!

We are rather frugal and I do not indulge much, of course my 13 year old daughter does . I am willing and want to make a life change along with this move.

Thanks again, I am crossing my fingers!

Old 05-16-2011, 05:49 PM

4 posts, read 6,941 times
I have to agree with the $800 rent looking a little low. I have been looking for awhile for a 1 bedroom and most seem to be at least $1000 and thats just for a 1 bedroom! Good luck and I hope you get it! Keep us posted!

Old 05-16-2011, 06:28 PM

Yes, all the numbers are (purposely) on the low side for a few reasons.

1. You can get lower numbers if you share costs. $800 is way low for renting a house or cottage, but maybe not for a shared place, or a one-bedroom. As I said, it all depends on how much you want to live here versus how you want to live. A 2-bedroom apartment near the ocean - no way. A 1-bedroom ohana inland? Maybe.

2. Whenever we put in more realistic numbers, there are always accusations that we are trying to keep people off "our" islands. People can't believe costs could be so high, and it's true, they can be lower. It depends on too many factors. Running the AC gets our electric bill way higher, but that's also working from home and lots of lifestyle items plugged in all the time (TV, DVR, coffee maker, 2 computers, printers, etc.) Someone who opens windows and is gone all day - probably lower than us.

3. It's the same reason we listed our house for lower than we wanted, back when we sold it in CA. It gets people looking, and if you list something as too far out of reach, they don't even check it out. Here's a lady who is interested in the islands. Maybe she'll look at listings, look into work, give it a try. If I were to squash her idea with doom and gloom, she's maybe get discouraged.

Maybe the OP won't find $800 for rent, and ends up paying $1100 instead. That's another $3,600 off her remaining money, leaving her at $8,668... which is about $700/month to spend on everything else.

Maybe the daughter won't have her own cell phone and the dad will pay the airfare to have the visits. Maybe Mom doesn't have any credit card debit (we don't), and they realize that you don't need jackets and sweaters and boots... just enough clothes for the same weather all year.

So yeah, I believe in being realistic, but I also think realistic can mean that people are willing to adjust. It's up to this lady to see if she & her daughter are willing to live a certain way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: