Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 01:32 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,819,976 times

Advertisements

Wink,
I live about 45 miles east of Portland up by Mt Hood. Sadly, I can say that meth is everywhere in Oregon. What is shocking to me is how much of it is the rural areas like southern and eastern Oregon. My sister used to live in Portland and the schools in her area were awful. Therefore, we sold her our old house so that she could get her kids out of there and into better schools. While the schools are much better where they are at now, I was surprised to learn how much drug use that is there. Mostly marijuana though.
Anyways, I hope your friend is a really good parent and wish them much luck in their new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 07:32 AM

159 posts, read 367,755 times
LOL...Wink..."So are you going to personally apologize to her when her daughter gets pregnant and the father is some Filipino drug dealer? I don't think so." What a colorful picture you paint of Maui's high school students. Must make the folks of Maui real proud when you generalize across the board like that.

I'm all for pros and cons of any situation, but your posts are 99.9% negative about Maui and Hawii in general. If life is soooo bad there, instead of continueing to borrow money from your parents, ask for a one time loan to move back to Texas. Otherwise, it's time for you to take another approach to your life in Maui. You are one bitter young man.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:29 AM

27 posts, read 67,868 times
Thanks again for all the responses.....I was offered the job starting at 18.76 an hour...I have spent the last 24 hours meditating on it and really looking at the numbers. After state income tax it look like that $4 an hour raise in Hawaii would leave me with $300 extra a month that would need to be used for the more expensive cost of rent in Hawaii versus Florida. After bills this leaves me with the same amount of money to live off of in Hawaii or Florida (yest one is way cheaper than the other)

And there is the school issue I know that the schools are bad I have done a lot of research I was looking into a charter school. The position in Hawaii requires me to work four ten hour days which in some ways is great and in some others not so much. I don't know if I want to be getting home at 7:30 every night with a teenage daughter that leaves her unsupervised most of the day and I think that time with her is important.

I want to live in Hawaii I have proven to myself that I can find a job that it is possible, but my heart and brain tell me that maybe this is not the right time. I am not scared of the move I am not scared of faluire but I do want the best for my daughter and I have worked really hard to get to a level where I am not struggling every month and I don't want to have to do that again.

As I said I have been offered a job in Sarasota Florida with good pay and bennies. I know that if we go there we can take our quality of life with us and it would not be such a struggle. I know in Hawaii there would be many more sacrifices!

Maybe I compromise and go to Florida for 5 years until she is done with school and then go to Hawaii.......I am going to think on this at yoga this morning and make a decision.

Thanks again for the advice.......

Old 05-18-2011, 11:06 AM

Halapena, glad you're evaluating the pros and cons. As a mother of two girls, I know you also want the best for your daughter. Doing 4 10's as a single parent is tough and even a "good" teen, will still be a teen exploring their world.

Some friends live in Sarasota after DH lost his job in Calif, they're doing well and the 3 kids (tween range) are enjoying it as well. They had some adjusting to do in the school system, but that is to be expected. Their parents are very involved in their schooling, as well as their hobbies. If the parent is positive and supportive it makes a world of difference. We know, we've done the Corporate move 6 times during our childrens school year. They both graduated college and are doing well as young adults. ; ) (Mama proud)

Good luck and we'll see you in Hawaii after she graduates!

Old 05-18-2011, 11:15 AM

820 posts, read 3,037,454 times
Best wishes to you halapena, and hope that some day you can realize your dream of moving to Hawaii. Keep an eye on the forum and let us know when it might happen!

Old 05-29-2011, 07:47 AM

6 posts, read 28,551 times
Default Job offer

I think it's great that you received an offer from a doctor when you don't live in Maui yet. Last year I sent emails to attorneys and some doctors and never even got a response. I've heard they aren't interested in people who don't live there. Your skills must be exceptionally good. $15.00/hour is not bad considering the economy. Health care is big all over the country. Perhaps he'll pay more when he sees what you can do.

I'm researching jobs and apts. also and it's harder as I'm retirement age but look and feel a lot younger. I'll be vacationing in Maui next month or July.

You may just have to search for a p/t job also to take care of your expenses. Good luck.

Wendy/Chicago

Old 06-01-2011, 08:05 PM

45 posts, read 130,451 times
Halapena,
Some more ideas to stir the pot with. Have not heard from you though, so maybe made your decision already.
One consideration is when your daughter graduates and establishes her self on her own, will you truly be able to leave her across the country alone or with friends and family, if they are closeby?
That is a big reason why people move back is because of missing family. And if she got married and had kids, the pull is even stronger. Life is always having sacrifices in it and your plan would work for later if you can separate yourself from your daughter later on.
I have lived without family by me for 35 years and have no problem with it, will never have to rush back to the mainland (when I make it back to Hawaii) and know that if I want, I can go to visit family easuily, since they live in Oregon. Florida is a whole lot of traveling back and forth from the islands.
All the best to you!

Old 06-01-2011, 08:14 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,451,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha_silverlining View Post
LOL...Wink..."So are you going to personally apologize to her when her daughter gets pregnant and the father is some Filipino drug dealer? I don't think so." What a colorful picture you paint of Maui's high school students. Must make the folks of Maui real proud when you generalize across the board like that.

I'm all for pros and cons of any situation, but your posts are 99.9% negative about Maui and Hawii in general. If life is soooo bad there, instead of continueing to borrow money from your parents, ask for a one time loan to move back to Texas. Otherwise, it's time for you to take another approach to your life in Maui. You are one bitter young man.
We're talking about schools here. Why would it be anything other than 99.99% negative? She didn't ask about beaches or building sandcastles. She asked about moving here with her daughter who is in school. I don't see why you have so much trouble ****ing understanding that I am providing relevant information. She already ****ing knows that Maui has nice beaches, nice environment, etc. What she didn't know was that the schools are crap.

I'm going to move back to Texas when I find a job there. The reason I'm leaving is because I can't afford to live here, not because the schools suck, because I'm 26 and I have no kids. If I could make ends meet I would stay here, because it's perfect for me otherwise. That doesn't mean I can tell someone about the significant downsides that apply to her.

Stop with this silverlining bull****. The good of Maui does not outweigh the bad when you have a kid in school and a job that doesn't pay a living wage (which she will). I don't understand how you can be so flip when we're talking about someone's life. She really needs to understand that her child will receive a terrible education in schools with bad kids and bad teachers, and that she won't be able to afford even a basic lifestyle. Why am I the only one on this forum who seems to give a **** about other peoples' wellbeing?

You don't even live in Hawaii do you, aloha_silverlining? Why is that?

Old 06-01-2011, 08:31 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,451,232 times
BTW, here is a positive. Maui is freaking beautiful. I take pictures like this pretty much every weekend. Happy now aloha_silverlining?
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/216367_10100740066472730_7901546_69390126_4108052_ n.jpg?dl=1 (broken link)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/247682_10100815457014480_7901546_70077880_4257509_ n.jpg (broken link)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/180870_10100469543038860_7901546_68077241_1775746_ n.jpg?dl=1 (broken link)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/217538_10100740066357960_7901546_69390124_212861_n .jpg?dl=1 (broken link)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/215801_10100740066432810_7901546_69390125_5702589_ n.jpg?dl=1 (broken link)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/199596_10100565513957370_7901546_69003966_6919230_ n.jpg?dl=1 (broken link)

Old 06-01-2011, 10:36 PM

Matter of fact, will be arriving on June 9th in Honolulu. Yes, it works out well for us financially. As I mentioned in other posts, each family has a different financial situation/needs/compromises. You take the pros and cons and analyse your particular situation.

We're reducing our major expenses by over $2K a month from LA to HNL, so that is OUR silver lining. Beats staying in LA.

Last edited by 7th generation; 08-12-2011 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: unnecessary commentary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: