Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2010, 10:49 AM

19 posts, read 47,967 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Boston area OR NEARBY.
Can anyone tell me the following:

1. What is the job economy like? (Management/Trainer or anything?)
2. What is the weather like? (Humid? How long? Winters? How "bad"?)
3. How is the real estate? (Decreasing? Increasing? Leveled? Price range for a 1 to 2 bedroom Condo/SFR/Loft?)
4. What are the areas that are safe? (Better areas to live vs. Areas that may have more crime or not as safe?)

Thanks for your input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 09:49 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
I can't answer all your questions. I'm not sure what the housing prices in the area are doing right now. I also don't know specifically about employment in the industry you're asking about, but I can say that the economy overall in this area seems to be doing better than in much of the country, though it's not necessarily booming.

Even though I can't give you much detail on those questions, since you've had no responses I'll say something about your other two questions just to get things started.

It varies from person to person how well people tolerate the weather here. Fall is usually the season when you get the most days with weather that is moderate and generally pleasant. It starts to get brisk once you get well into November. From early to mid Dec. to about the middle of March the weather is generally frosty, with the occasional spell of frigid weather, and we'll get some substantial snowfall on average once every couple of weeks in a typical winter, though just how heavy the snow is will vary some depending on where you are in the metro area. Spring is really a mixed bag of weather. Generally from mid to late March until the end of April many days are cool or chilly and damp, although the weather is quite variable this time of year, so you'll get warm days, pleasantly cool days, sunny and blustery weather, and possibly even a hot day or two or, at the other end, a light snowfall, mixed in here and there. May is usually very pleasant, though it's still possible to have a brief spell of damp, chilly weather. Summers are mostly warm and fairly humid, with occasional brief spells in the 90's.

As far as safe areas, well, generally most of the Boston metro area is pretty safe. It's too big a metro area for me to really go through an analysis of towns and neighborhoods all over the area. Some info from you about the kind of area you're looking for--urban, suburban, a little bit rural, etc.--housing budget, need for public transit, why you're interested in Boston, etc., could help narrow down the possibilities.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:54 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Very generally speaking, I'd say that housing overall has stabilized, and stabilized high. (It's been high for a long time). Of course, "high" is relative to what you're used to, but unless you come from coastal California or New York City, I think most housing would look pretty high.
What is your line of work, and what will you be looking for? What kind of budget, rent or own? Are you living alone or coming with partner/kids? Pets? That could focus responses pretty well.
Best wishes on your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: