Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 02:56 PM

9 posts, read 82,727 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from Connecticut to the Boston area because we prefer to be near a bigger city than Hartford and we absolutely love Boston. My only question is which is preferable - north shore or south shore? I prefer those two areas to metrowest since we want to live near the shore. We have 4 kids (age 12 down to 4)and want good schools. We don't mind living up to 40 minutes from the city. We adore Duxbury, but I don't want to limit myself to just one town at this point in our search. I also love Salem, but don't know if it's a great place to raise kids. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 07:36 PM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Both have their boosters, you can't compare the schools of Salem and Duxbury. You need to go further up the coast to find something like that. Most likely Marblehead and points north to be on a par with Duxbury. To be on the coast in either direction with a top school district, is going to be longer than 40 minutes.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:13 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
Many if not most people tend to use the term "Shore" loosely when referring to the communities north and south of Boston. Any town along or to the east of Route 28 can be termed a North Shore or South Shore place even if there's zero oceanfront within its boundaries. With that more casual standard in effect, the better public school districts close in to Boston are:
North Shore - Marblehead, Melrose, Wakefield, Winchester
South Shore - Milton, Hingham
However, the strongest academic reputations have been earned in the inner-ring suburbs west and northwest of the city - Brookline, Lexington, Newton, and Belmont - and along what I call the WASP Corridor between Weston and Boxborough. I'd rather have a top-drawer education for my child and need to drive a half-hour farther to the beach on sunny weekend days, but that's just my opinion.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:47 PM

Thanks for the responses! I appreciate it. Right now my kids are in one of the top rated school districts in CT and we love that. So, we really would like to stay with great schools up there.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:31 AM

42 posts, read 150,835 times
I grew up in Southern CT (Fairfield County) - in a really great school district. I equate Hingham's reputation to what I remember as a kid. I've heard great things about Scituate and Cohasset too. I really can't back it up - just word of mouth talking to people around the area. Hope this helps.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:41 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,359,443 times
Both the North and South Shores are beautiful to be sure. I know little of schools to the North but for a great school system and easy commute to Boston, Hingham would fit the bill.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:22 AM

75 posts, read 307,022 times
Hi...can't answer for the North Shore, but for the South Shore towns with good schools Duxbury, Hingham, Cohasset, Scituate fit the bill.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:29 AM

Hey, thanks, everybody! It's so helpful to get all this info.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:30 AM

12 posts, read 107,197 times
From what I have known, Cohassett's school system isn't as up to snuff as say Hingham or Milton. Reason being, though known as the exclusive south shore town, a great deal of teens are sent off to private/boarding schools. The town doesn't support / demand an exceptional higher educational system than does Hingham/Milton.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:31 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,817 times
I really like the North Shore because of the convenience of the towns being close together, the highways being easier to get into the city, and the available activities in the area. Also I think the transportation into the city is better. I love it here in Winchester. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts