Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 06:01 PM

4 posts, read 5,311 times

Advertisements

Hello All!!

Living in Melbourne, FL for the past 3 years, working as a HS Spanish teacher. I am into the arts and there is not much of anything here. It is quiet and affordable, the weather is great but I am bored to tears. I am looking for a place where it is quiet and affordable but at driving distance (1 hour or less) from a big city. Melbourne is close to Orlando but I am not into the tourist theme park scene. I was born and raised in NYC but not wanting to go back there (high crime and expensive). Would Worcester, MA, being at driving distance to Boston, be a good choice for relocation?

Thanks!

Last edited by In Sync; 05-31-2009 at 06:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 09:22 AM

967 posts, read 4,788,604 times
Worcester would be more than an hour from Boston and I suspect might be not the most exciting place. There are some things there - art museum, small symphony, and what not but it's nothing like Boston. You could find a cute place there for a reasonable price and there are some pretty areas (although some are definately dicey) but the commute would be pretty awful. What kind of price range are you looking in? Are you looking to rent or buy? That info might help others make helpful suggestions.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the reply Scarletfire. I am looking to rent a 1 bedroom or studio. Price range $700-$800 (cannot afford more than that on a teachers salary). My goal is to live & work outside of Boston but hang out in the evening 2-3 days per week in Boston. Are there any communities closer to Boston which are low crime and reasonably priced? Don't mind driving if it is less than 1 hour to get to Boston. Also if you can give me cost of living, for whatever area you recommend, it will help me in terms of job search and salary.

Thanks!

Last edited by In Sync; 06-01-2009 at 11:53 AM..

Old 06-01-2009, 11:33 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,565,780 times
i hope you have your masters.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:22 AM

I have a Masters in History and working on my Masters in Spanish. I am a native speaker.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:47 AM

12,908 posts, read 22,073,069 times
I don't think Massachusetts requires a Masters anymore for teachers (may want to double check). I would look at areas like Quincy, Revere, the Diamond District of Lynn, Malden Center, and maybe even Chelsea for reasonable rents closer to Boston. I still worry that you may have trouble finding something close to your price range (in a decent spot), but a small studio for $800/mo in Lynn may be possible. Maybe an area like Bridgewater, about 40 minutes from Boston may be a better bet. You could look for apartments in Taunton or Bridgewater (as far north as Stoughton) and find something more reasonable yet within reach of Boston. Still, Taunton, Bridgewater and Stoughton while they have walkable downtowns are hardly an alternative to city living. Good luck, but it will be difficult. Maybe you can find a co-worker to room with after you start work and find a better spot?

Old 06-04-2009, 03:45 PM

5 posts, read 31,373 times
Default Teacher

In Massachusetts you have 5 years from when you are certified to obtain a masters degree. I am pretty sure this is correct. I would not move to Worcester if you want to go to Boston after work. I would look at a suburb of Boston.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:54 PM

967 posts, read 4,788,604 times
I agree with dmoss. Quincy seems like a good choice but I'd find some help selecting the area. Some are better than others. I can't say I'd recommend Chelsea. It's a pit. I know people say it's changed and gotten better. I don't really believe that.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:25 AM

Default Thank You

Thanks to all for the valuable info!

Old 06-06-2009, 07:29 PM

12,908 posts, read 22,073,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoss View Post
In Massachusetts you have 5 years from when you are certified to obtain a masters degree. I am pretty sure this is correct.
Not anymore. This was the case but it cost school districts too much money to keep doing. They've since reformed the policy and only a bachelor's is needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts