Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,540 times

Advertisements

My two kids (ages 11 and 8) are still currently in elementary school; my daughter is a straight-A 5th grader and I would like to keep it that way if at all possible .. I have a friend who lives on the Cape and so I would like to live there; it's nice to have a friend nearby.. My situation would be like this; I am selling my house in central NY and would want to rent a safe place with 3 bedrooms for less than $1000 a month, but is that even possible to find on the Cape? I have read good things about Sandwich, MA; my friend and his family are located in Yarmouth, MA.. I hope to find some helpful advice and information on this forum; I also hope the woman who started the forum can find it helpful as well .

Thank you ,

Suz~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 11:41 AM

289 posts, read 1,271,455 times
I don't want to bring your hopes down, but except maybe in the slums of Springfield or in the dead middle of nowhere, I don't think you can find a 3-bedroom rental anywhere in Massachusetts, nevermind the Cape for that price.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:51 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,099,314 times
that is not true,if you look hard enough you will find what you are looking for,maybe not on the cape itself,but maybe in the taunton area.(and my sister rents a 3 bedroom home in east longmeadow for 950 a month)

Old 04-22-2009, 11:56 AM

967 posts, read 4,786,120 times
I've heard that Sandwich has one of the better school systems on the Cape. I agree that you'd be hard pressed to find a 3bd rental there for $1,000/mo but perhaps you could find something close to that price for a 2bd.

Best of luck!

Old 04-22-2009, 02:43 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
Finding a 3 bedroom on the Cape for that amount would be tough. I do know folks who in order to live on Cape year round do a seasonal rental and then take jobs at local campgrounds for reduced cost of housing over the summer. Not sure how motivated you are to get down here but it's a thought.

I would think Buzzards Bay might be an area to look in for low cost rentals. It is in the Bourne school district which has areas of great economic diversity. Basically, you could rent in a low end area but get the benefit of the same education that kids in more affluent areas get. Bourne schools are pretty good.

One thing to strongly consider though is the cost of living. Everything is cheaper over the bridge and people will literally drive from a place like Pocasset or Mo Beach over to Buzzards Bay to get gas 20 cents a gallon cheaper. Same goes for groceries etc.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:01 PM

116 posts, read 316,812 times
If you're willing to have a year round rental, you can probably get a place in Hyannis for a $1,000 a month. Wouldn't recommend living there though. You can probably get a year-round rental in Sandwich for $1,300 + utilities. Kingston might be a better option for you but it's a good 35 minutes to Yarmouth. Dennis which is next to Yarmouth might have something as well.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:13 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,997,347 times
For a decent 3 br rental, you're looking at 1400+. There are some 2 brs for $1250 and under. Winter rentals will run around $900. All PLUS utilities. Winter rentals can be tough on heat since not a lot of thought was given to the winter months when they were built.

Must disagree, though, on the cost of living using the example of gas. Yes, there is a station over in Wareham that provides very cheap gas and is cash only. I thought I'd get better prices off-Cape during my normal travels and found that it was 5-10 cents more in many places on the South Shore than it was on-Cape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts