Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 10:56 AM

14 posts, read 64,393 times

Advertisements

We are currently renting a house in the River Pines neighborhood of Billerica and are thinking of buying a house in the coming year in either Billerica or Chelmsford. My husband works at Hanscom A.F. Base and has a great commute along Hwy 4. We have been told that Billerica is quite a bit cheaper (water, taxes, etc.) but that the schools are comparable. We would probably buy in Chelmsford along Hwy 4 south of the crazy intersection or in Billerica in River Pines (Dutile School) or West of Hwy 3. We would want .4 acres or more and don't want to spend more than $325,000 for a house. We want to get the best value for our money but also live in a nice area. We don't have kids yet but plan to start a family soon and stay in the house for awhile. Any opinions pro/con for Billerica vs. Chelmsford?

4/8/09
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 05:32 PM

544 posts, read 1,471,455 times
Avoid Chelmsford.
My mom made a huge mistake trying to move me to the Chelmsford school system in her thinking that Id be around better quality students than the "scum" of Billerica and that so turned out to be not so. To this day I say, its worth it to attend school in a nice town even if the schools have more pregnancies and fights. At least the kids wont look down on your kids like the Chelmsford ones will.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:17 PM

2 posts, read 6,765 times
Not sure you should avoid Chelmsford. The schools have always had a great reputation, and the town manager is committed to supporting the schools. Sounds like Meltinjohn had a bad experience in Chelmsford, but the data tells us that Chelmsford spends more per pupil than Billerica, and has higher MCAS scores.

As for housing - there are great opportunities now in Chelmsford. Look in both Billerica and Chelmsford, you should compare prices in both places.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:28 PM

544 posts, read 1,471,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massdilema View Post
Not sure you should avoid Chelmsford. The schools have always had a great reputation, and the town manager is committed to supporting the schools. Sounds like Meltinjohn had a bad experience in Chelmsford, but the data tells us that Chelmsford spends more per pupil than Billerica, and has higher MCAS scores.

As for housing - there are great opportunities now in Chelmsford. Look in both Billerica and Chelmsford, you should compare prices in both places.

In the long haul, all that MCAS hoopla means nothing really.
10 yrs from now, those kids in Billerica will really be the more successful ones. Its the short run people always look at but the long term development that matters. In the short run, Chelmsford looks better on paper I am gonna admit but otherwise, wouldnt advise a move there. NoCho isnt a bad place. I liked being able to walk to Lowell and that graveyard when I lived there but attitudewise, go with Billerica.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:54 PM

143 posts, read 300,165 times
Wow MeltinJohn couldn't be more wrong. Wow man you sunk to a low but maybe you matured since then.

Personally I think Chelmsfords services exceed Billericas and you do not have the Stop prison expansion signs everywhere. That is an eyesore lately I swear to god and that big ungodly lowercase writing that accompanies it. Chelmsford could use a bar or 2.. I mean Littleton has a bar BUT Chelmsford DOES have Java Room. Billerica won't ever get a place that nice. That place is like giving a taste of Seattle to Massachusetts or at the very least Cambridge just with a low key sleepy atmosphere and without a younger crowd esp at night but coffee is great nonetheless.. when it comes to flavor at least and Chelmsford does have Gary's as well. The best ice cream around imo.. the other might be Bedford Farms.

Billerica wins as far as Chinese food goes though or maybe pizza depending on where you go, but that's all I can say and even then, no Chinese people eat at any of those places like Wu Loon Ming or Jade or very few.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:25 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToMA View Post
Billerica wins as far as Chinese food goes though or maybe pizza depending on where you go, but that's all I can say and even then, no Chinese people eat at any of those places like Wu Loon Ming or Jade or very few.
Eh, my favorite Chinese place is Yangtze River in Littleton. I have eaten in some of those Billerica places but Yangtze River now gets the nod for Chinese.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:35 PM

143 posts, read 300,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Eh, my favorite Chinese place is Yangtze River in Littleton. I have eaten in some of those Billerica places but Yangtze River now gets the nod for Chinese.
You're kidding really?

Never heard of it.

Personally I think you should give China Star in Lowell a try as that's my favorite.
Best egg rolls ever.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:45 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToMA View Post
You're kidding really?

Never heard of it.

Personally I think you should give China Star in Lowell a try as that's my favorite.
Best egg rolls ever.
I'll take note of China Star. Thanks!

Old 07-24-2013, 09:31 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,423,982 times
This thread is 4+ years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts